75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Challenge) > Adriana's 75 Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments I have just finished my third book, The Rebels of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd. This was the conclusion to the Dublin Saga, I read the Princes of Ireland in November. In January I read The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory and To Have and to Hold by Jane Green.

message 2: by Adriana (last edited Feb 06, 2009 04:39PM) (new)

Adriana | 336 comments This week I read Brokeback Mountain and Babyville. I didn’t realize how short Brokeback was going to be so I didn’t really become involved with the characters like I normally do. I haven’t seen the movie yet but hopefully I will get to it soon. I’m not sure how I feel about Babyville. I didn’t dislike it but the style was inconsistent. It went from third person omniscient to first person and back to third. It is three separate stories that come together instead of a novel about three women’s experiences with motherhood whose lives are intertwined. Overall it was okay. That makes books 4 & 5.

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 6: Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir. I give it five stars. It was written in the same style as Philippa Gregory's The Boleyn Inheritance. I have yet to read Gregory's, the Queen’s Fool but I think this was a smart choice. I am trying to read the Tudor series in chronological order though the Virgin’s Lover was the first one I read. I believe this was Weir's first fictional novel. I look forward to reading The Lady Elizabeth.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 7: Sarah: A Novel by Marek Halter

message 5: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 8: Little Earthquakes by Jennifer Weiner

message 6: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 9: Mary of Nazareth: A Novel by Marek Halter

message 7: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 10: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

message 8: by Merri (new)

Merri Love Jennifer Weiner- great book to escape into!
Jane Eyre is my favorite book of all time!

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Merri wrote: "Love Jennifer Weiner- great book to escape into!
Jane Eyre is my favorite book of all time!"

Jane Eyre is right up there for me too. There’s mystery and suspense, tragedy, love, & triumph, with a hint of the supernatural. The love could have been raunchy but I’m also a big Anne Rice fan. Little Earthquakes is the only Jennifer Weiner book I’ve read, I usually turn to Jane Green for my chic-lit but I think J.W. is a great second option. I’ve gone through almost all of Green and I don’t care much for Candace Bushnell.

message 10: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 11: Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae by Steven Pressfield

message 11: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 12: My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

message 12: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 13: The Gravedigger's Daughter

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 14: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

message 14: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 15: The Dirty Girls Social Club by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez

message 15: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 16: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

message 16: by Merri (new)

Merri What did you think of Wuthering Heights- i haven't read it yet.

message 17: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Adriana wrote: "Book 16: Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë "

You loved Jane Eyre so I think you’ll enjoy Wuthering Heights. There is definitely a lot more intrigue. Those Brontë sisters produced great work.

message 18: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 17: Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

I really forced myself to finish it.

message 19: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 18: The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

message 20: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 19: The Falls by Joyce Carol Oats

message 21: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 20: Katherine Swynford by Alison Weir

message 22: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 49 comments Since you read Katherine Swynford, you should read Katherine by Anya Seton. The romance of Katherine and John of Gaunt seems to always inspire authors (and readers)

message 23: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Mom wrote: "Since you read Katherine Swynford, you should read Katherine by Anya Seton. The romance of Katherine and John of Gaunt seems to always inspire authors (and readers)"

Funny that you say that, it's on my to-read list. And that was also Alison Weir's inspiration.

message 24: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 21: Big Boned by Meg Cabot

message 25: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 22: The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman

message 26: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 23: Lipstick Jungle: A Novel by Candace Bushnell

I had sworn off Bushnell but a close friend insisted that I read Lipstick Jungle. I was disappointed in the Sex and the City book, after being a devoted fan of the show, and Trading Up wasn’t much better. Lipstick Jungle was a pleasant surprise, heck it even inspired me to take over the world.

message 27: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 24: Nefertiti: A Novel by Michelle Moran

message 28: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 25: The Passion of New Eve by Angela Carter

message 29: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 26: The Guy Not Taken: Stories by Jennifer Weiner

message 30: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 27: Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist by Dorothy Gilman

message 31: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 28: Beauty's Punishment by Anne Rice

message 32: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 29: A Room With a View by E.M. Forster

message 33: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 30: Size 12 Is Not Fat by Meg Cabot

message 34: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1779 comments Adriana,

I see you've read the first couple in the Mrs. Pollifax series. What did you think? It's one of my favorite series . . . I've been reading them in order and I have to say "Mrs. Pollifax on Safari" is my favorite so far. But the books that come before it give it context that makes it all the more enjoyable.

message 35: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Kay wrote: "Adriana,

I see you've read the first couple in the Mrs. Pollifax series. What did you think? It's one of my favorite series . . . I've been reading them in order and I have to say "Mrs. Pollifax..."

I agree reading series in order is the way to go. I usually go to the library and at the time I didn't know which book came after the Unexpected Mrs. Polifax so, I just picked up Innocent Tourist. It just so happened that Farrell was also in this book but Cyrus was a curve ball. I must read the others in order to get the scoop.

message 36: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 31:Helen of Troy by Margaret George

message 37: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 32: Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris

message 38: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 33: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

message 39: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1779 comments Adriana, "Pillars" is a challenging book to get through. Congrats on making it . . . how did you like it?

message 40: by Adriana (last edited Jun 28, 2009 07:00AM) (new)

Adriana | 336 comments I loved it and could not put it down. However, it did take me longer than expected.

message 41: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 34: Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson

message 42: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 35: The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George

message 43: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 36: The Virgin Queen's Daughter by Ella March Chase

message 44: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 37: A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman

message 45: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 38: Beauty's Release by Anne Rice

message 46: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 39: The Beach House by Jane Green

message 47: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 40: In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant

Milestone yeah!

message 48: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Book 41: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

message 49: by Karol (new)

Karol | 1779 comments Adriana, do you recommend "A Thousand Splendid Suns"?

message 50: by Adriana (new)

Adriana | 336 comments Kay wrote: "Adriana, do you recommend "A Thousand Splendid Suns"?"

Absolutely. I would put it in the historical fiction category because it spans from the 60's to around 2004. By no means is it a happy story but it is realistic.

« previous 1