Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Patrick > The Best Personification Award

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (last edited Feb 05, 2009 09:14PM) (new)

Patrick Stoner | 10 comments This award goes to the best book that gives human characteristics to animals. Any animal can be used as long as it portrays some similarity to one human trait. For example, the animal can talk, walk, act, or resemble a human. They should play a large role in the story and can be the protagonist, or the antagonist.

These characters are important in developing the creativity of children. "The characters contain the crucial human link, the element of human density, for the reader to identify with." Along with that, the character should be someone that touches the child and excites them to read.

I hope everyone has fun using personification as they nominate!

Nominations due by 3/05/09

Fletcher, Ralph. (1993). What a writer needs. Portsmouth, New Hampshire:
Heinemann

message 2: by Lori (last edited Feb 27, 2009 07:52PM) (new)

Lori | 19 comments The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams Bianco I nominate "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams Bianco for best book using animals and personification. The characters in this book are not only animals, but stuffed animals, and the author does an amazing job of bringing them to life while the child in the story sleeps. Personification is key to the themes of family ties, love, and the value giving and receiving love gives to one's existence. This story would be appropriate for a read aloud at any age, but it would be a great choice for independent reading in Grades 2-5.

message 3: by Shawn (last edited Feb 05, 2009 10:16AM) (new)

Shawn Cunningham | 15 comments I nominate "Stuart Little" by E.B. White. For using personification by a mouse having human characteristics. Stuart is a member of the Little family and he is seen as a son and brother where he talks and shares in all other family activities.

message 4: by Sarah (last edited Feb 23, 2009 07:55PM) (new)

Sarah (sed5071) | 14 comments Doctor De Soto (A Sunburst Book) by William Steig

I nominate "Doctor De Soto" by William Steig because it is a book about a dentist who is a mouse and all of his patients are other animals who walk and talk as people would. They live in houses, wear clothes, and sleep in beds. The pictures are simply but colorful and portray what the text says. This story includes creative thinking and decision making. In this book, the dentist does not like to work on animals, such as cats, because his wife and him are afraid they will be eaten. A fox with a toothache comes along and they decide to let him up since he is in soooooooo much pain. Children can plan what they would do and/or what the mice are going to do if the fox tries to eat them. Great for ages 5-8 and can be used as a read aloud or independent reading.

message 5: by Linzi (new)

Linzi Wilkinson | 14 comments I nominate "Owen". This book is written by Kevin Henkes in 1993 and published by First Scholastic. This book is a Caldecott Honor book. The author uses mice in this book to represent a child who has a favorite blanket and needs to start school but doesn't want to give up his blanket. I would use this book in a read aloud. This book is for 1-3 grade.

message 6: by Darlene (new)

Darlene | 14 comments I nominate "The mountain that loved a bird" by Alice McLerran and illustrated by Eric Carle. This was an interesting twist for me with the mountain being personified, usually when I think of personification it’s with animals. The mountain has feelings of being sad and loving the bird. It wants the bird to stay. The bird then begins to bring seeds to the mountain as it is weeping and trees and plants begin to grow on it. The book ends with the mountain getting its wish that Joy the bird can stay. The mountain which is an inanimate object was built up as the secondary character of the story. This would be a great book to use for studying personification.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "The Great Kapok Tree" by Lynne Cherry. This book had many animals that whisper into a man's ear to persuade him not to cut down their tree. The animals are personifications because they talk, which is a human characteristic.

message 8: by Corby (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments I nominate "Zen Shorts" by Jon Muth. This is a Caldecott Honor Book. This is an excellent story of a wise panda sharing his wisdom with three children. The children visit the panda individually and he is able to share important life lessons with them. The panda is personified as a wise person. This would be a great book for grades k-3. This would be an excellent read aloud book.

message 9: by Shannon (last edited Mar 01, 2009 01:55PM) (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments The Sissy Duckling by Harvey Fierstein

I nomintate "The Sissy Duckling" by Harvey Fierstein. This book is about a duck named Elmer. He is covered by a wispy comb of feathers and wears a pink backpack with daisies on it. Elmer is one happy duckling doing all the things he loves to do, such as baking cookies and having puppet shows. Papa Duck, an big mallard duck, tries to get Elmer to play baseball. Elmer strikes out and heads for home, unfazed. He later finds out that everyone is calling him sissy duck and started getting bullied at school so he runs away. Elmer learns that his father is injured and rushes home to be the hero. At the end of the story Elmer realizes the most important thing is to stay true to his identity. This book deserves to win The Best Personification Award because Elmer takes on characteristics most of us can relate to and in the end Elmer is personified as the hero. This book would be great for grades k-2!

message 10: by Ericajean (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:54AM) (new)

Ericajean | 13 comments I nominate Big Bad Wolf is Good by Simon Puttock for the Best Personification Award. The big bad wolf is an icon for many children and because they know of him, they would be most interested to pick up a book in which he is in. He tries everything to make friends and no one will listen to him because they are afraid of him. They slam the door in his face until he gets to ducks house. At first, she believes he ate her duckling but when he rescues him and takes him home, she finally lets him in for tea.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" by Jon Scieszka. This book tells the story of the three little pigs from the point of view of the wolf. He attempts to explain to readers that he had a cold, which caused his sneezes that the pigs misconstrued as huffing and puffing. As he tries to prove his innocence, his narration is filled with humor. This book deserves to win The Best Personification Award because it is a traditional tale with a fun twist on narration. The book would best suit readers from grades 2-6. The True Story of the Three Little Pigs by Jon Scieszka

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I wish to nominate "A Turkey for Thanksgiving" by Eve Bunting. A whole community of woodland animals are personified in this holiday tale. One thing is missing from Mr. and Mrs. Moose's Thanksgiving Day preparations-the turkey. The forest friends go on the hunt and come back with an understandably reluctant Turkey. Turkey's emotions are humorously depicted by the illustrator, Diane de Groat. I feel that this work of personification is deserving of this award.

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber | 14 comments The Other Dog by Madeleine L'Engle I nominate Madeleine L'Engle's "The Other Dog". This book is narrated by a poodle who lives with a man and woman, that end up bringing home a baby. The poodle refers to the baby as "the other dog" and must learn how to share the attention she has been getting with the baby. The book is funny and gives an interesting viewpoint that a dog might have. This book would be for grades 1-3.