Love Inspired Books discussion

Favorite Story Elements

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
In the Harlequin.com community, some folks are having a discussion about secret babies and whether or not it's believable in this day and age. Which got me to thinking, because secret baby is a really common romance story element and people really like to read stories featuring a secret baby. So what stories appeal to you and why? Do you like cowboys, secret babies, women in jeopardy... what type of book can you not resist picking up every time?

Dream

message 2: by Joy (new)

Joy mail-order brides

women fleeing from unwanted suitors (i.e. Fancy Pants by Cathy Marie Hake)

men/women who are looked down on for some reason and eventually overcome it - the ones I read like this are usually historicals

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy and cute guys in the FBI and other similar organizations that get assigned to protect women in trouble, and eventually fall in love with them...sigh...lol

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy I enjoy the Mail-Order Brides too. Something you don't find so much in LI but more in secular books are women that give in to the good looking guy to easily. Saying she wont' kiss him but loses all her will power. I like when they show more will power...for awhile anyways.

message 5: by Love Inspired (new)

Yes, mail order brides are great! I always figured it took a tremendous amount of courage to move to a new place with fewer conveniences to marry someone you didn't know.

Actually, all of the themes you mention, Joy and Judy are great!

And I'm a big fan of spies... I don't know why, but I really enjoy a good spy story. Yet when you think about it, who wants to marry a guy whose job is to lie to you all the time???

Dream

message 6: by Joy (last edited Sep 07, 2012 02:36PM) (new)

Joy Love Inspired wrote: "And I'm a big fan of spies... I don't know why, but I really enjoy a good spy story. Yet when you think about it, who wants to marry a guy whose job is to lie to you all the time???"

Witness Protection stories! They have to lie about their whole identity to stay alive...but I'm drawn to them all the same.

Dream, I kind of like spy stories, too. I'm usually on pins and needles waiting for that big moment when she finds out who he really is.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Eberly (KathyEberly) | 33 comments I like strong women in books. I like the idea of the witness protection stories. One of my WIP's is about a woman in witness protection.

message 8: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 33 comments Cowboys!!!!! lol! Present or past, they are my favorite (aside from paranormal). Cowboys with mail-order brides, women who know their own minds, anything wild west related... Can't get enough><

Another fave is police/fire/servicemen...also past or present. Something about a guy in a uniform...lol

message 9: by Love Inspired (new)

Oooh, I like all those stories too. :)

Wait, there's a such thing as paranormal cowboys? That's just weird.

Kathy, I like strong women too.

message 10: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 33 comments Sorry! I meant paranormal fiction>< Then again, anything can be made into a story lol

message 11: by Love Inspired (new)

LOL very true!!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (Jennafraugh) | 434 comments Mail ordered brides for sure...and anything to do with Men in the military! Especially WWI and WWII

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 62 comments Jennifer wrote: "Mail ordered brides for sure...and anything to do with Men in the military! Especially WWI and WWII"

I agree!

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments I would love to read about war brides. I know the lady I clean for her MIL and her 2 sisters married 3 men from this area after WW1 they came from wales.
I also know of a Pastor whos aussie aunt married American soldiers they meet in WW2 and moved to america. this same persons mother fell in love when visiting and the American followed her out to Australia and they married and lived here.

message 15: by Janis Kay (new)

Janis Kay (riceball1759) | 33 comments Barbara wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Mail ordered brides for sure...and anything to do with Men in the military! Especially WWI and WWII"

I agree!"

Yes!! Same^_^ The love, devotion and courage that keep military wives from going completely berserk while waiting for their husbands to come home is beyond description...such a strong relationship is really hard to come by.