Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

The Great Gatsby
This topic is about The Great Gatsby
Engl. IV > Story Break

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
What is the reason for Nick's breaking the story at this point? (Read the section beginning with "Reading over what i have written so far")

message 2: by Tish (new) - added it

Tish Garcia | 8 comments I think Nick's reason for breaking the story at this point , was to make sure the readers know that although this is what the story is about , there were other things going on in his life; Gatsby wasn't the most important thing going on in Nick's life .

message 3: by Drew (new) - rated it 1 star

Drew | 19 comments Tierra wrote: "What is the reason for Nick's breaking the story at this point? (Read the section beginning with "Reading over what i have written so far")"
i believe that the story breaks at this point to let the reader understand more about how events pass but sometimes we don't absorb all the information till a later day."on the contrary, they were merely casual events in a crowed summer, and until much later,they absorbed me infinitely less than my person affairs."the great Gatsby chapter 3

message 4: by Fernando (new)

Fernando Sarmiento | 5 comments Nick is breaking that story to let the readers know that as time passes we will be left with less information to be absorbed: "On the contrary, they were apart were merely casual ecents in a crowded summer,and, until much later, they absorbed me infinitely less than my personal affairs".ch.3 Pg.55

message 5: by Jesus (last edited Sep 09, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Jesus | 21 comments I think that Nick breaks into the story to remind that readers that the book in a way is still about him and Mr. Gatsby. i also think that he wants to talk about the events that have taken place so far and how he feels towards them. Not only that but how he failed to understand most of what happen until it was over. the reason i belief this is because on page 55 he says "I have given the impression that the events of three nights several weeks apart were all that absorbed me." and on page 56 when he says "later, they absorbed me infinitely less than my personal affairs."

message 6: by Lyon (new)

Lyon Rivera | 16 comments The reason Nick takes a break in the story is because he realizes the differences in the high society and reality. "...I have given the impression that the events of three nights several weeks apart were all that absorbed me."pg.55. He got so caught up in that shallow lifestyle that he was involved in, he needed to take a step back and see everything from another point of view. Once he took a step back then he sees that all of his personal way of life.

message 7: by Eva (last edited Sep 11, 2012 12:03PM) (new)

Eva | 6 comments "I see I have given the impression that the events of three nights several weeks apart were all that absorbed me".But it was not to him, it was more of a casual summer. I see it as a brake he took from his story but is reminding everyone he is the one telling it and even though he may say some stuff that would take his energy it's actually different. More of an explanation of what he has been telling and describing. “until much later, they absorbed me infinitely less than my personal affairs.”

message 8: by Josh (last edited Sep 16, 2012 03:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josh Smith | 18 comments I think the point of nicks story break was to show that these three events were't his whole summer "Reading over what I have written so far, I see I have given the impression that the events of three nights several weeks apart were all that absorbed me. On the contrary, they were merely casual events in a crowded summer." (pg. 55)

message 9: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 18 comments He wants to explain that the story doesn't revolve around him he sees them as " casual events in a crowded summer." (pg 55) he also explains what he did over those thee days "most of the time I worked. I took dinner usually at the Yale Club." (pg 56)