Tierra Encantada Charter School discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Engl. I(6th) > Culture

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tierra Encantada | 76 comments Mod
What seems to be Achebe's attitude toward this culture so far? Is his depicting if as an ideal one? Can you cite any passages which imply a critical attitude?

message 2: by Zane (last edited Sep 07, 2012 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zane Flannery | 27 comments I think that Achebe is saying that this culture is an ok one, but it could be greatly improved. For instance when he writes "The Oracle was called Agbala, and people came from far and near to consult it" it seams that the comunite is a tight knit one and neighbor helps neighbor, but then he sais this is not so soon after by writing "...no one who had ever crawled into his awful shrine had come out without fear of his power" and this promotes a sense of forboting and the fealing that the society was ruled by fear.

message 3: by Mona (new)

Mona Chavarria | 29 comments I think he's trying to show how they had respect for each other ?

message 4: by Kai (new)

Kai | 33 comments I agree w/ Zane for the most part. I don't think that a religious leader should be feared, but honored and respected.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 16 comments He is showing how they had the honor and respect for one and other.

message 6: by Sarai (new) - added it

Sarai Cisneros | 27 comments I think he is showing us that he has respect and honor for his culture.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Achebe is trying to express and show that Umuofia was an ideal culture in government in general: "Umuofia was feared by all its neighbors. It was powerful in war and in magic". But also in his way of writing he makes the culture sound very traditional and like the perfect place to live, an example of this is how they were really mad when one of the woman in their village was murdered and they almost went to war because of that so that shows theyre really close and care about each other

message 8: by Alistair (new) - added it

Alistair Fene | 16 comments I think that Achebe dose not hate his village, but for shore he dose not love it either. He still dose have honor and respect for his culture...but he still thinks that it could use some improving.

message 9: by Isaiah (last edited Sep 09, 2012 08:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isaiah Armijo | 28 comments Achebe has a very deep pride for his culture. He writes things in a way that makes you believe in the teachings and wisdom of there tribe. This can be implied when he writes about the kola. He describes it without explaining it because he thinks that everyone that reads the book should know of this culture. For this reason he his proud of being for this region.

message 10: by Molly (new)

Molly Malone | 27 comments Achebe says that his village was feared by other villages because of its belief in magic and gods. One example of how they had the gods and magic on their side was they had an Oracle and they went to the Oracle for help and advice. Achebe said and i quote "Umuofia was by all its neighbors. It was powerful in war and in magic". It says "powerful war" and what they mean by that was that they where good warriors. He could have also wrote that because of the reaction of umuofia when one of the villages women was killed by one of the surrounding towns and they declared war against them.

message 11: by Xavier (last edited Sep 28, 2012 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xavier Benni | 26 comments He depicts the tribe as a very strong, cultural place is which they depend much on the gods and how they are going to treat their village so they are very good to their gods and the way they treat their land. And in the passage when it says "our village is known as the most fierce village in all of the land." They also say that " we are feared aslo because be have the best magicians." Im not sure if they mean actual magicians or maybe tricks of war.

message 12: by Saul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Saul Saiz | 17 comments I think achebe was trying to show that ufomia was feared by other villages because magic and gods one example is that.they gpt advice from oracle and they were strong warriors

message 13: by Juliana (new)

Juliana | 15 comments To me it seems like he is on neither side. Throughout this book so far it seems like he is more trying to say that like all cultures they have had their ups and downs. There are some things we agree with and some we do not. It’s more so like he is trying to tell their story and who they were. You can’t really judge someone if you don’t know them and their point of view.

message 14: by Kai (last edited Sep 16, 2012 12:10PM) (new)

Kai | 33 comments Juliana wrote: "To me it seems like he is on neither side. Throughout this book so far it seems like he is more trying to say that like all cultures they have had their ups and downs. There are some things we agre..."

I like Juliana's comment on this one. This question is really a matter of opinion, and I don't think there's really a right answer. Personally, I don't like the Umoufian culture. To me they seem overly religous and too reliant on their Oracle. I think the Ibo should be able to rely on themselves rather than their gods or their Oracle. I'm not really sure what Achebe thought.

Marianne Lara | 26 comments I agree with both Juliana and Kai. Achebe isn't really stating his opinion on his culture but more like trying to show us what it is. But really it depends on the person to see if they agree on the Umuofian culture. I'm not really a fan of it. They sacrafice people bacuase they're oracle says so. The men also can't show weakness or they'll be riduculed, and the women are low ranked (for the most part). As for Achebe, I think he respects his culture a lot.

Benhanna | 27 comments Alistair wrote: "I think that Achebe dose not hate his village, but for shore he dose not love it either. He still dose have honor and respect for his culture...but he still thinks that it could use some improving."
I don't think that he dose not like this colter but the opposite i think that he is trying to show how it is decently has its problems but what society docent . i think he is trying to show how it not that bad compared to others.

message 17: by Tristan (new)

Tristan Sena | 26 comments Achebe is showing us that this culture is not different from a lot of cultures that they are normal, and he so far hasn't leaned to one side about how he feels I think he feels this culture is nothing special and has nothing bad about it. I mean he's told us good parts that he emphasizes and describes in detail showing that he has certain opinions about different parts of the culture.

message 18: by Kristen (last edited Oct 09, 2012 06:07PM) (new)

Kristen | 24 comments Benhanna wrote: "Alistair wrote: "I think that Achebe dose not hate his village, but for shore he dose not love it either. He still dose have honor and respect for his culture...but he still thinks that it could u..."

Tristan wrote: "Achebe is showing us that this culture is not different from a lot of cultures that they are normal, and he so far hasn't leaned to one side about how he feels I think he feels this culture is noth..."

I agree with Tristan, Ben, and Alistair.
Achebe's attitude towards this culture does not appear to by overly negative.He is not depicting a socciety thet is either ideal or the opposite.

Dominik Barela | 12 comments I think Achebe is saying that the culture needs improvement. I think they need to treat women better, and have more respect for the poor people.