The Midwife of Hope River (Hope River #1) The Midwife of Hope River discussion

Does this book present West Virginians in a bad light?

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I haven't read this book and I'm asking so I can decide whether I want to read it. I like reading books about Appalachia, but I can't stand ones with lots of negative stereotypes and caricatures -- and I can't really tell from the description and reviews whether this is going to be that type of book.

Are all or most of the Appalachian characters presented as stupid, dirty, racist, etc.?

Does the book write out the characters' dialects phonetically (ain't yaw'll comin' t' the barn raisin') in order to make them appear stupid?

Are all the Appalachian characters really props used to highlight how awesome the main character is in comparison?

Are bizarre and/or violent practices, especially sexual practices (polygamy, sexual violence, sibling incest, parent-child incest, bestiality, etc.) presented as socially acceptable because that's "just what people do back in the hills?"

It's okay with me if the book deals with poverty or racism as long as it does so in an authentic, realistic way and not for the sake of sensationalism.

message 2: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali no...the west virginians in this book are represented as humans...none of the awful stereotypes that you suggest...

Debby The characters and their attitudes are more indicative of the time period than the geographical setting.

Elizabeth No no no and no to everything you ask. Like the others say, the book contains none of those stereotypes. It's a wonderful book!

message 5: by Phyllis (new) - added it

Phyllis Joanis I just checked this book out of the library! Hope to get to it soon! I have too many books checked out now, hard to read as much as I would like, just got a full time job! I read whenever, as much as I can.

Sheila Cottrill I just finished this book.Being a West Virginian, I can say that i agree with both Debby and Alison!!
I enjoyed reading it!!!

message 7: by Phyllis (new) - added it

Phyllis Joanis This was a wonderful book and I found no stereotyping at all! I agree with Debbie too. more indicative of the time period rather than the geography. I think this book just proves that everyone has secrets, some have more consequences than others. Made me very happy I was born in the latter part of the 20th century with indoor plumbing and electricity!

message 8: by Patsy (new)

Patsy I'm the author of The Midwife of Hope River...did you know we authors read what you write? I love West Virginia and West Virginia's I wasn't born here but I've lived here for almost 30 years. The people are dear to me. There are good and bad people everywhere. But mostly good, I think, and I hope my books say that.

Sheila Cottrill Patsy, I found your book both entertaining and refreshing, simply because you didn't dumb us West Virginians down like most of the country thinks we are.
I read your book in one day. I couldn't put it down. Kept wanting to know what happened next.
Look forward to reading more!!

message 10: by Patsy (new)

Patsy Hi Sheila. That might be a record, lots of people tell me they read it on a weekend, but one day!? I consider that a great compliment.

Joesdeb56 When you look at all the parts of a story, you need to take into account the time period, the people along with their socioeconomic and educational background and purpose of placement in the story.

This book takes place during a tough time in our country's history. When you add in lack of work, poor crops, hunger, lack of education, prohibition and people with all their bad/good decision-making skills, you have a wonderful true-to-real-life feel in a work of fiction.

Racism, lack of education and even hatred should never be hidden. As in all of life's negativities, only that which is brought out into the life can be discussed, changed and truly understood.

I personally loved this book and time period.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Siegfried I found this book authentic- this book as others have said is a reflection of the times and never felt like the characters were dumbed down or given an artificial voice (like an accent) just to make the story. The people of this story could be anyone and I think that is the book's true gift.

MaryJane Rings I enjoyed this book and felt the characters were very believable. I think it depicted the culture of the area and the depression which crippled the nation. I don't think it put West Virginians in a bad light. I could identify with the characters from the stories my grandmother told about the depression era in southern Ohio. It was much the same. I don't think jobs and lives improved until the 2nd world war which created factory jobs and enlisted men in the military.

MaryJane Rings Joesdeb56 wrote: "When you look at all the parts of a story, you need to take into account the time period, the people along with their socioeconomic and educational background and purpose of placement in the story...."

I agree. Well written review.

Vivian Ann This book was good. No "bad lights" in my eyes.

Sonja I ***love*** this book! While reading it I kept staying up late and reading "just one more chapter"!! The characters are all well developed and I felt like they could all just step out of the pages and into my living room and talk with me. I could easily visualize where Patience delivered her babies, watered her crops, rode her bike to...well done. Can't wait to read more from this author!

message 17: by Adrianne (last edited Jul 30, 2013 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adrianne Humans. Although I felt like I could detect the more modern West Virginia community that the author reportedly lived in in some instances... Definitely some of the scenes had a bit of the feel of something like Spiritual Midwifery... And in her Q & A she does state that she has included variations in birthing on purpose to expose the reader to them.

And I feel that her development of the different communities (demographic representations) in the book were both reflective of her research into history and her recognition of the humanity and osrsonal realities of each community and each character.

Jennifer Whitten Humans. Agreed! Although not a true story, the characters, scenery, and story came to life for me. I LOVED reading this book and it was very real and heartfelt to me. I saw no stereotypes-just real portraits of 'real' characters! Hope that helps!

Jennifer Whitten Patsy wrote: "I'm the author of The Midwife of Hope River...did you know we authors read what you write? I love West Virginia and West Virginia's I wasn't born here but I've lived here for almost 30 years. The..."

WOW! So cool to see you on here! Perfectly written answer to the posters question! And a wonderful book! It was one that will stay with me and has been shared with others! I hope to read more from you!

message 20: by Toni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Toni Brush I Loved your book, Patsy, loved it. I am a registered nurse by trade and have recommended it to so many. Looking forward to reading you again. thank you

message 21: by MaryJane (new)

MaryJane Ferrell I am just now reading this book and am so glad I purchased it. I'm from WV and I feel the author was very respectful of West Virginia and her people. The story drew me in from the very start and feel like I am watching things unfold from somewhere in the story line.

Kelley Where in WV does this book take place?

Alana I have read both Hope River Books and loved them Patsy I will be adding more of your books to me "to be read list"