SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

World Without End (Kingsbridge, #2)
This topic is about World Without End
Off Topic Ramblings > Ken Follett's "World Without End" Becomes a Mini-Series

Comments (showing 1-3 of 3) (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24830 comments Hubby just heard about a new mini-series starting in October called "World Without End". I popped over the website and see it's based on Follett's book.

TRAILER: http://www.reelz.com/player.aspx?clip...

About the show: "A paid assassin is sent to murder a king. A mysterious knight flees to the countryside, hotly pursued by the Queen's men. Two teenagers witness an incident in the woods that will change the course of a nation.

In the thriving town of Kingsbridge, the latest marketplace gossip is the strange circumstances of the King's death. The civil war is over, Kingsbridge's economy is robust and merchant coffers are full.

All is well in Kingsbridge until the two noble young men bring their wounded knight to the Priory to be doctored. Sir Thomas Langley surprises all by buying his sanctuary in the Church as a humble monk using a dowry from the Queen. What could he possibly have on Queen Isabella to warrant such support?

Without warning, Kingsbridge seems suddenly under siege. The Queen's ardent supporter, Sir Roland, marches in and usurps the Earldom of neighboring Shiring, condemning the reigning lord to death as a traitor. Roland's list of men, who supported the old King against Her Majesty is long – and they will all hang. The rest must pay dearly in taxes to support her claim to the French Crown - marking the beginning of the 100 Year War.

Caris, a visionary young woman, struggles to rise above the suffering and oppression in order to lead her people out of the dark times. In order to save Kingsbridge, Caris, along with her lover Merthin and Thomas Langley, build a community that stands up to The Crown and The Church. Their courage inspires a nation and throughout Europe commoners and peasants stand up for their rights and revolt against their oppressors - a new age emerges."

About the author's book: "World Without End, the long-awaited sequel to the “Pillars”, was published in October 2008. It was a No. 1 bestseller in Italy, the USA, the UK, Germany, France and Spain, where it was the fastest-selling book ever published in the Spanish language, outstripping the last Harry Potter book."

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Cynthia Nixon and Miranda Richardson, yay! I loved The Pillars of the Earth TV mini-series. From the trailer this looks like will be just as good. It's airing in the UK in January on Channel 4. They also bought the adaption of Labyrinth starring John Hurt. Airing in UK in January 2013, US on Reelz Oct 17 (2012) and Canada on Showcase on Sept 4 (two days ago).

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (Angel4492) | 24830 comments I like them both as well; esp Cynthia Nixon. I'm going to have to look for Pillars at the library. I didn't know it was also a mini-series.