Everything Literature discussion

The White Forest
This topic is about The White Forest
The White Forest

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Tana (wanderingalice) | 75 comments Mod
Hey everyone, guess what? I'm starting a new book & would love it if you all would join me. Invite your friends too! I (we) will be reading "The White Forest" by Adama McOmber. The book is set in gothic Victorian England. What else do I need to say? I won't say much more because I don't want to spoil this read. I want to jump in and read it without any expectations or real information about the novel. Fresh eyes, guys, fresh eyes. I'm so excited & I hope you are too! I'll post a reading schedule no later than Monday (cross my fingers). You don't have to follow the schedule, but it might help in case of spoilers. Later...and yay books!

message 2: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

OK, so the book wasn't available until today. I will start reading it tomorrow. If we start tomorrow, that gives us 18 days to complete the book before Oct. 1st. I feel this is plenty of time to read the book. If you feel otherwise, feel free to take your time. If you do choose to read it slower, be warned that there may be spoilers in our discussion. On average, we should be reading 16 pgs./day or 2 chapters/day...depends on how you split up the pages/chapters. My eBook has 283 pages. Let me know if there is anything I need to change as far as pace goes. I'll be throwing topics out there. Feel free to do the same. Can't wait to get started and get discussing!

message 3: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Flowers...lots' of flowers so far. What's the connection?

message 4: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Questions? How far are you into the book? Like/dislike?

message 5: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Inspector Vidocq tells Jane that "Day's goal has remained consistent. He wishes to achieve a large-scale transcendence in which humankind will be returned to what he imagines an original 'Paradise' - his so-called spiritual bedrock. It is this grand delusion, this wish to be the world's savior, which makes him so dangerous" (ebook pg. 90). I feel that the author is drawing a parallel between between religions, specifically Christianity, and cults. Aniston Day as the (delusional) savior (Christ) & the danger being a belief in a savior (Christ). Is he trying to say religion and any belief in any type of savior is crazy? Or is he only talking about the fictitious characters in his book? With all of his other mentions of gods/goddesses/paradise/heaven, I strongly believe he is trying to send the message that any belief in the supernatural/spiritual is absurd. Too heavy? Wrong? What do you think?

message 6: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan (Jordan_hickman) | 15 comments I think you're on to something. The symbolism throughout is pretty heavy, but I don't know if it's necessarily atheistic. At least that's what I'm taking from it. I don't think I've gotten as far as you, but does Day want his followers? to think of him as Christ-like? Or as a mortal man? Let me keep reading and get back to you. It took me a while to get into the book but now I can't stop reading!

message 7: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

I think Day wants to be God & maybe Jane to be his Christ figure. I need to read more too. Let's get back to each other soon.

message 8: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Also, I feel it's not exactly atheistic, but what is it called? Day, if my assumption is correct, wants to be THE only god, but that implies a belief in only himself.

message 9: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

On pg. 188 of my ebook a scene occurs in which Nathan shoves March to the ground. Jane asks him how he could do such a thing, and he replies with, "I think the question here is really how could you?" Is it Jane's hand Nathan feels is becoming his own? What is their true connection? How/why? Ideas anyone?

message 10: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

pg. 205 (ebook)--Aniston Day says, "You are to be our savior afterall." So Jane is the savior archetype, but not as in Christ, it seems. She has no knowledge of her role, nor has she come to save the world voluntarily & out of love.

message 11: by Tana (new) - rated it 1 star

Also, on pg. 203 (ebook), Day says, "Rome is a disease. London is a disease. You are the cure. You can unmake what should never have been made to begin with." Well, whom does Day belive made it (the earth/worlds) & why if it should never have existed?