Admirers of Juliet Marillier Books discussion

Welcome! > What Else Are You Interested In?

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
This is where we can discuss other interests such as art, music, movies, whatever you'd like. This way we can get to know each other better!

message 2: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
I love art as well. I love to sketch and paint (especially watercolors), but never got to take a real art class. I would love to take some college courses in art, but didn't have time when I was getting my Elementary Education degree. I taught third grade for a year and a half, but I'm working at a coffee shop temporarily and plan to go back and get a masters in Library Science.

I like being outdoors and traveling (I've been to England, Ireland, Wales, and St. Lucia- in the Caribbean).

I used to longboard in college (a type of skateboard for speed), but never find the time or places to do it anymore.

Like a lot of people who read, I also enjoy writing and would kill to have a book published one day.

What about you guys?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 14 comments I am big into long-distance running. I hope to run my first marathon one day. I was in 4-H for years - teaching horse safety, equitation & horsemanship to young kids. I have 2 horses of my own whom I love to bits.
I have a degree in Statistics & Chemistry. I love challenging math and analysising data - my passion. :)

Paige, I did take a few drawing classes at university and they were fabulous! Definitely a fun thing to do. This is a hobby I would like to get back into.

I am also studying the use of tremolo for classical guitar. I find it so relaxing playing spanish romances and such. :) That's me :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 14 comments *Analyzing.... ha ha sorry about the error - I am definitely not one for spelling & english :P

message 5: by L.M. (new)

L.M. (LMSherwin) | 4 comments I'm an author, so I adore writing in all forms. I also love to read like crazy (of course...). Other than those two, I love playing video games and doing taekwondo and hapkido. I'm pretty into drawing and illustration, too.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (Lauren0924) | 83 comments Mod
Aside from reading, I love to cook! (but not bake - yuck). I have a GINORMOUS amount of cookbooks and when I'm not looking at reading websites/blogs, I'm looking at food blogs.

I also love Yoga and actually teach it outside of my regular job. Love it! I do the hot Vinyasa yoga.

I'm a HUGE Doctor Who fan and I LOVE all things Disney. I generally spend my free time being lazy with my husband and watching movies/netflix or hanging out with our families. Also, I love dogs! And have two giant ones of my own.

That's fun that all of yall like art. I have like zero artistic ability. My mom on the other hand is insanely amazing at art. Seriously. And I can't draw a circle. Although I do like coloring! :)

Lisa - my brother is a long distance runner/Iron Man. He actually ran a 50 mile run this past weekend and he is training for a 100 mile run. (Insane!) I can barely run a mile and he can literally run for an entire day straight. It's crazy. :) So props to you for liking long distance running and for training for a marathon! That's awesome!

I play the piano and have played it since I was little but I don't practice very often anymore sadly, but I do love it!

Ahh and Paige I'm so jealous of your travels to Ireland! I've never been across the Atlantic. I've been to the Caymen Islands, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, and Laredo. (I like the beach and tropical places in case you can't tell :)

message 7: by L.M. (new)

L.M. (LMSherwin) | 4 comments Lauren-- I'm a huge Doctor Who fan as well! It's my favorite show EVER! How cool! What breed are your dogs?

message 8: by Emma (new)

Emma (Dreamerdreamson) | 81 comments Haha I'm watching Doctor Who right now!! (Ep 1 of season 7)
Well I'm an artist, I've exhibited at a handfull of local galleries and have studied art at TAFE :)
I love reading, but I also love gaining knowledge in all subject including history, mythology, art and journalism. Oh also fairy-tales and their role in society.

I would love to travel but haven't been out of Oz but been around the block a few times. I love animals, I have a cat called Zsa Zsa. I LOVE movies and good T.V show.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

L.M. - YAY FOR DOCTOR WHO! I love love that show - best show of all time! Who's your favorite doctor? Companion? I have a German Shepherd and then a big black mutt (although he looks just like a flat-coated retriever - so maybe he's that, I don't know - he's a pound puppy :)

Emma - Ah! That episode was good! Did you like it? I'm planning on watching it again today with my parents. :) And yay for another Doctor Who fan! I also like to gain knowledge - especially history and I love mythology (one of my all time favorite subjects!) I also have two cats, but I kind of feel like they just allow us to share the house with them. We see them sometimes when they feel like gracing us with their presence.

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (book_wyrm) | 23 comments Wow it looks like Juliet Marillier has some seriously talented fans. For the artsy folks, has anybody submitted fan art to Marillier's website? I've been flirting with the idea.
I love Disney also! Jungle Book is my fav!
I play guitar as well, getting classical lessons is another one of my pipe dreams, so pretty! But then I also want to take up piano again so its a heads or tails thing lol.

message 11: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
I would have to work on a piece to enter as fan art for a very long time. I can see myself never being satisfied with it enough to send it in lol. I also love Disney and enjoy a little Doctor Who (but not nearly as big of a fan as you guys- you can thank Lauren for starting me on it :) I feel like I have a lot of pipe dreams too. I play the violin, but would love to learn piano and guitar. I love doing art. I would love to own my own bookstore or work as a librarian. I LOVE to learn, which is partly why I became a teacher. I love pretty much every major historical period and most all types of literature. I start to feel strange if I haven't learned anything new in a while and have to go on a History or Discovery Channel marathon lol.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma (Dreamerdreamson) | 81 comments Lauren wrote: "L.M. - YAY FOR DOCTOR WHO! I love love that show - best show of all time! Who's your favorite doctor? Companion? I have a German Shepherd and then a big black mutt (although he looks just like a fl..."

Yeah Lauren, I really enjoyed that Ep of Doctor Who, got a bit misty eyed in the end :) Can't wait for the next one! What's one of your favourite eps?

Beth, I have some fan art sketches, but never had the nerve to summit them. There are some great fan pictures here though :) http://sevenwatersclub.deviantart.com/

Seem we also like history a lot too :) Has anyone seen Tony Robinson's Gods & Monsters program? It was really great, learnt lots!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Emma - I know you asked for one of my favorite episodes, but I can't just list one. My favorite episodes are Blink, Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, Stolen Earth/Journey's End (LOVE seeing everyone together), and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. But i do love them all.

And that episode was good! Definitely excited for this season though sad to say bye to Rory and Amy.

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma (Dreamerdreamson) | 81 comments Lauren- They are all so good! Silence in the Library fantastic, River has to been one of my favourite DW girls.
I know!! Rory so amazing, it's going to be heartbreaking when they say goodbye.

message 15: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
Well this talk of someone named Rory makes me think of how much I love Gilmore Girls. Anyone else here a fan?

message 16: by Clare (new)

Clare (claremay13) | 57 comments That's just creepy paige, Gilmore girls is my favourite tv show. I managed to watch the whole 7 seasons again in less then a month (due to spending a lot of time on the couch due to sickness). Favourite Lorelei bf-Alex the random fishing/coffe guy! Favourite rory boy (not bf)- Tristan from chilton

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
Haha! It's my favorite tv show too. I have all the seasons on DVD and watch them all the time :) The random fishing/coffee guy was pretty funny, but my favorite is Luke (of course), and for Rory- Jess. I think he had the most complimentary personality for Rory and could have good conversations with her. Plus he matured near the end (when he had his own zine). *sigh* now I want to go watch some.

message 18: by Clare (new)

Clare (claremay13) | 57 comments I just felt so bad for alex, cos he just disappeared, and he was never spoken off again, and he was such a great guy! Jess definately of the actual boyfriends was the best. When I first watched it I liked dean, but everytime Ive re-watched it I've hated him more and more cos he is just a jerk!

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma (Dreamerdreamson) | 81 comments I did watch Gilmore Girls when it was on air. I liked the show okay, I think I was abit to young to understand. I'll have to rewatch it :)

So what other T.V. Shows/Movies does everyone like?

I enjoy fantasy, sci fi, historical, supernatural theme stuff like "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel" ( I'm a HUGE Joss Whedon geek) "Supernatural", "Once Upon a Time".

One of my favorite shows as a kid was "Jim Henson's The Storyteller", does anyone remember it?

message 20: by Clare (new)

Clare (claremay13) | 57 comments If you like Jim Henson Emma, I would recommned watching the movie The Labyrinth, its got David Bowie in it, and I think it is just the most amazing movie ever!!

I like buffy as well, but only ever saw a couple of random episodes of angel, so havent gotten that into it, but once I get my hands on the dvd i guessing ill love it!

message 21: by Hannah (last edited Oct 19, 2012 09:12PM) (new)

Hannah (book_wyrm) | 23 comments Emma wrote: "I did watch Gilmore Girls when it was on air. I liked the show okay, I think I was abit to young to understand. I'll have to rewatch it :)

So what other T.V. Shows/Movies does everyone like?

I ..."

I think its on Netflix!(storyteller that is)

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (book_wyrm) | 23 comments Clare wrote: "If you like Jim Henson Emma, I would recommned watching the movie The Labyrinth, its got David Bowie in it, and I think it is just the most amazing movie ever!!

I like buffy as well, but only ever..."

LOOOOOOOOVE Labrynth! lol Such a wonky little show :)

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (Dreamerdreamson) | 81 comments Clare wrote: "If you like Jim Henson Emma, I would recommned watching the movie The Labyrinth, its got David Bowie in it, and I think it is just the most amazing movie ever!!

I like buffy as well, but only ever..."

Clare
I love "Labrinth", it's one of my favorite movies! I loved how Brian Froud's imagery worked in the movie! They It's great to find things that we all have in common ( other than Juliet lol )

Have any Buffy fans read the season 8 comic?

Beth
Netflix huh? I'll have to check it out, haven't seen any eps of "Storyteller" for ages. Thanks :D

message 24: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (book_wyrm) | 23 comments Emma wrote: "Clare wrote: "If you like Jim Henson Emma, I would recommned watching the movie The Labyrinth, its got David Bowie in it, and I think it is just the most amazing movie ever!!

I like buffy as well,..."

Its interesting to see how much we have in common besides just the books! And you're welcome :)

message 25: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 5 comments I love art. I even have a picture I created on Juliet's page called Sevenwaters, by Nancy Drew. My friends used to call me that because I really like to draw.
I also love to read, and write.

message 26: by Karsa (new)

Karsa Orlong | 5 comments I have become very interested in traveling. I plan to visit a different country every year until I die. I think we take life too serious so I plan to enjoy the world we live in as much as possible.

I am trying my hand at writing. LOL. I am horrible.

Love to read.

message 27: by Rue (new)

Rue (Rues_Corner) | 2 comments I am a producer and I love creating new films. (Shorts, docs and narratives)

I LOVE to cook, but almost never have time :(

I sew bell bottoms for my 70s-obsessed son :)

message 28: by Clare (new)

Clare (claremay13) | 57 comments i didn't know where to ppst this, but wanted to tell you guys! i got to met Juliet!!!!!!

message 29: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
Clare wrote: "i didn't know where to ppst this, but wanted to tell you guys! i got to met Juliet!!!!!!"

Whoa! That's so awesome, Clare! I'm so jealous! And I thought my signed bookmark was cool haha! How did you meet her? Did you go to a book signing?

message 30: by Clare (new)

Clare (claremay13) | 57 comments Went to supanova in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago. I ended up chatting to her and kate forsyth together for abit, which was totally amazing!!!

message 31: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
Kate Forsyth too??? Man! Wish I could have been there!

message 32: by Clare (new)

Clare (claremay13) | 57 comments :) :) :) :) :)

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara Jesus (SCJesus) | 4 comments I love watch historic series like Outlander, Vikings and Victoria.

message 34: by Paige (new)

Paige | 267 comments Mod
I love Vikings and Victoria too! Such good shows!