Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Sean > The (I wont eat my) Broccoli Award- Most Memorable Troublemaking Main Character

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (last edited Feb 09, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Sean | 16 comments The typical "little rascal" award. This award is for the most memorable antagonistic main character. he/she/it should be a rebel of sorts, childish and absurd at times, yet unbelievably entertaining!
This character sticks in your mind, reminds you of your childhood, and doesn't necessarily have to be reformed and teach the reader a moral lesson. Griffith says, "The term protagonist usually means "main character"...we usually empathize with the protagonist and find the antagonist unsympathetic." This is not the case here. the antagonist is the main character, and we feel a whole range of emotions for him/her.

Should be an easy reader, simple and fun, and is due when you feel like it. be an antagonist! but I would prefer you have a nomination by March 5th...

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Heuston (luv2shop) | 13 comments No, David!

No, David! Does an excellent job of showing a boy who is always getting in trouble. David does anything and everything you could possibly imagine, from playing with food to tracking mud in the house. One of the only weaknesses of the book is when David is running down the street. This book would be an excellent shared reading book in a kindergarden classroom, kids would love reading it! No, David! by far has the best troublesome character.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Casteel (amanda_casteel) | 16 comments I nominate Lotta on Troublemaker Street by Astrid Lindgren. This book is about a five year old girl that thinks her family is mean and decides to run away. It goes through her day, and the reader cannot help but fall in love with Lotta. It has cute illustrations that help the reader relate to Lotta and love her. This is a beginner chapter book and is an easy read. She really deserves your award.

Lotta on Troublemaker Street by Astrid Lindgren

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Pine | 12 comments I nominate "Bootsie Barker Bites" by Barbara Bottner. The narrator's mother is best friends with Bootsie's mother, therefore they spend a fair amount of time together. However, Bootsie terrorizes the narrator of the story. She has nightmares of her and her salamander being rushed to the hospital with bite marks from Bootsie. This book was one of my favorite books when I was little, and it is very entertaining. I think the book would be great to use for read aloud due to its humorous and entertaining qualities. I'm sure the children would have plenty to say about Bootsie's nasty behavior!

Bootsie Barker Bites by Barbara Bottner

message 5: by Alyssa (last edited Feb 26, 2009 08:27AM) (new)

Alyssa | 14 comments Genre: Picture Book
Audience: Ages 4-8
Title: Rotten Ralph
Illustrator:Nicole Rubel

I nominate "Rotten Ralph" by Jack Gantos. This book was written in the year 1980. It is absolutely hilarious. This book for sure has one strong character and that is Ralph. This this cat takes trouble making to a whole new extreme, because Ralph is so rotten he tortures Sarah throughout the whole book. On one of the pages in the book Ralph decides to saw off a branch when little Sarah was swinging on her tree swing. Rotten Ralph even makes fun of Sarah when she is practicing Ballet. This naughty cat even has more than one book. There is another book called, "Rotten Ralph's Rotten Romance." This book is extremely funny as well. I can only imagine what the students have to say about rotten Ralph's crazy antics!

message 6: by Brittany (last edited Feb 19, 2009 04:28PM) (new)

Brittany Koontz | 13 comments I nominate "The Bully Brothers Trick the Tooth Fairy" for the best troublemaking character award. The author is Mike Thaler, and the illustrator is Jared Lee. This book is about two brothers, Bubba and Bumpo. They love to make money. So when they put their teeth under their pillow, they realize they get a dollar back from the tooth fairy. From that moment on, the boys decide to see how many teeth they can lose. When they are done with their own, they go into their neighborhood and find children with lose teeth. Then, they take their teeth and put them under their pillow, to get the money. They get the idea to go to the dentist office and act like they were the dentist. They steal an old lady's false teeth and run away. When the dentist came chasing after them, they drop the lady's teeth. The dentist catches them, and they have to pay every dollar they earned from the tooth fairy, to the dentist. This will make the children laugh and will carry a good discussion.

message 7: by Alecia (last edited Feb 23, 2009 01:47PM) (new)

Alecia | 13 comments “The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind and another. His mother called him ‘wild thing’ and Max said, ‘I’ll eat you up’ so he was sent to bed without eating anything.” Max then became the king of all wild things and performed many acts of mischievous behaviors with all of his wild subjects. I nominate Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak for the (I Won’t Eat My) Broccoli Award. Max is one of the most memorable troublemaking main characters I have ever encountered in children’s literature. Max is a rebel through and through even if it only is in his imagination. He is childish and absurd when he is in his wolf costume, as shown by him nailing holes in the wall and chasing his dog in the illustrations of the story. He’s definitely entertaining while taking part in a wild rumpus with the wild things. Almost everything in this story incorporates Max causing some sort of mischief, which is why I think Where the Wild Things Are deserves this award.

Sendak, M. (1963). Where the wild things are. New York: Harper and Row.

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

message 8: by Melody (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:00PM) (new)

Melody Kephart (MelodyKephart) | 14 comments I nominate "David Gets in Trouble" by David Shannon. In this third picture book by Shannon, it's David's turn to talk back. What does he say when he gets in trouble? "I didn't mean to." as he skateboards into a table. "It was an accident!" when he hit a baseball into a window. "I forgot!," "But Dad says it!" and on and on he goes getting himself into more trouble.
This book should win the award because it satisfies the requirements listed. It is quite entertaining to watch this boy and all his crazy shenanigans.
As far as the illustrations, Shannon's expressive, childlike paintings of the round-headed, shark-toothed David-in-trouble perfectly capture the manic joys of early boyhood.
This book is for pre-school and up. There is no age limit on this great book which is just another reason that this book should be chosen for this award.

Choose this book for the award and you will not be disappointed!

David Gets in Trouble by David Shannon

message 9: by Krystal (last edited Feb 22, 2009 03:52PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments Pierre A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue by Maurice Sendak

I nominate "Pierre: A Cautionary Tale in Five Chapters and a Prologue" by Maurice Sendak. This book was published in 1962 by HaperCollins Publishers Inc. The book is divided up into five short chapters and a prologue. Throughout the book Pierre just does not care about anything. Sendak does an amazing job of drawing the audience into the story. Even today I realize the importance of caring about decisions and things that are occurring in my life. I find myself saying "I don't care" whenever making a decision about finding something to eat. I immediately connect back to whenever I was in early elementary school. I did not care if carrots helped my eyes be able to see. Now that I am blind as a bat today, I do care. This book uses its main character, Pierre, to reveal how important it is to care. Throughout the book he reveals a foul and unconcerned persona that just simply does not care. He ends up getting eaten by a lion and realizes the importance to care. He was given the option before the lion ate him to care. Pierre chose that caring was not his option. Pierre is the perfect book for The Broccoli Award. This book could be an important resource in the elementary literary classroom. You could use the book to show the children that it is important to make decisions. Not only does decision making reveal responsibility, but it helps mold a person into an individual. "Pierre" does an excellent job at revealing the importance of individuality through the hilarious and rebellious character, Pierre.

message 10: by Bridget (last edited Mar 05, 2009 04:05PM) (new)

Bridget | 13 comments The Boy on Fairfield Street by Kathleen Krull I nominate The Boy on Fairfield Street: How Ted Geisel Grew Up to Become Dr. Seuss by Kathleen Krull and illustrated by Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher. This is a really great book about how the rebellious Dr. Seuss became the wonderful artist that we still love today. Ted Geisel was no ordinary boy. He did not really fit in within his community. He was never really into sports the way the other boys were, and he spent his summers working at the local zoo. Ted was also German and America, at the time, was entering World War One. Needless to say, Ted faced a lot of scrutiny for his heritage. More than anything, Ted was most identified for his strangely creative drawings, of which his teacher told him were all wrong. His mother wanted him to become a doctor, and everyone was amazed when Ted was accepted to Dartmouth. The only aspect he was recognized for was being voted as "Least Likely to Succeed." He then entered Oxford University to study English Literature and then later dropped out to draw cartoons for magazines. This is were he began his claim to fame, with the pen name of Dr. Seuss.
The illustrations offer a great combination of being whimsical yet factual. They are very detailed and incorporate a lot of color.
This is an easy read for children ages 9 to 12. it is an excellent story of a rebellious character, and one that most children can recognize. Not only is it a great read, but the audience can actually learn from this biographical account. I never realized he was a troublemaker until I read this book! I give it a two thumbs up!

message 11: by Brianna (last edited Feb 27, 2009 09:34PM) (new)

Brianna Jones | 13 comments I nominate "Skippyjon Jones" as the most memorable trouble making character. In this book, Skippyjon gets in trouble with Mama Junebug Jones and gets sent to his room. While he is on a time-out, Skippyjon goes on wonderful adventures with his chihuahua friends. The book is fun and silly and Skippyjon is a character that children love! The book even has some Spanish so it reaches multiple cultures.

message 12: by Elissa (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:00PM) (new)

Elissa | 14 comments I nominate “Mice Make Trouble” by Becky Bloom and illustrated by Pascal Biet. This story is about a little boy who draws mice and a hedgehog on the wall, which come to life! The hedgehog does not cause any trouble, however, the mice do. They start to drawing all sorts of toys, using them to jump, hope and race all around the room. Obviously, this causes a lot of chaos and mess with all the toys that came to be all over the room. The little boy finally figures out how to fix the problem, by drawing something else onto the wall. The mice pick up the room and apologize, and then go back into the wall.

The illustrations really help the story take shape, showing the chaos! This is an easy and enjoyable read!
Mice Make Trouble by Becky Bloom

message 13: by Sean (new)

Sean | 16 comments Congratulations Judy Schachner!
You’ve been awarded the “I Wont Eat My Broccoli” award, for Most Memorable Trouble –Making Main Character, for creating the character named Skippyjon Jones. Penn State University’s LLED (Elementary Literature in Education) class, from the Altoona campus, are the ones to thank for this award. Our class was to search through the local libraries for a children’s picture book with the best, most fun, exciting, memorable, and troublemaking main character.
Your own Skippyjon was our class’ winning choice, because he made his own trail in life. He didn’t cause trouble on purpose, but mischief was always sure to follow, no matter the species of animal he chose to be. Skippyjon shows children that it’s great to be whoever you are, because you can be whatever you want, and his crazy antics, Zorro –type mask, and amazing adventures prove that your picture book is the most outstanding choice.
I hope that you can accept this certificate created by myself, Sean Hanlon, the original conspirator of this award. I plan on keeping your Skippyjon books in my classroom because they are not only fun, and promote individuality, but the reader gets a twist of Hispanic culture alongside a barrage of new vocabulary words that they can incorporate into their own reading and writing. So thank you, for giving me an educational tool to work with in my future, and I hope you can find a place on your closet door(or your mom’s) to hang this well deserved award.