SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

1 view
How many books or pages this year?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bup (new)

bup I've read 26 and a half "grownup" books (pretty sure I'll finish #27), 7 kid/YA novels, and listened to 5 audio books.

My goal was two books a month, so I guess I done good.

Bonus: A few of the books I read this year, I was supposed to read in college and high school, but never finished, so I can sleep better now.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 10 comments I don't set reading goals because I never ever meet them and then I feel demoralized. Nonetheless, I do keep track of what I read during the year (Goodreads makes that really easy now -- I used to keep a list in a little notebook), and I've read 22 books this year, not counting the ones I tried to read and gave up because I didn't care for them (e.g., Not a Happy Camper -- bleh).

message 3: by What Exit? (new)

What Exit? | 11 comments I don't set reading Goals either, but thinking about it, I am up over 50, maybe as high as 75. I read every Disc World Book this year and several dozen others.

I am not sure how to even check. I know I read a bunch of very old Poul Anderson's. I reread some Heinlein. I then read many miscellaneous books.

Jim

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 10 comments Shoshana, in fact, I do! It's called, I think, tried-to-read-but-gave-up. Or something like that. I don't think there's all that much on it because if I could't finish I tend to just leave it off Goodreads.

message 5: by What Exit? (new)

What Exit? | 11 comments I like that idea, maybe I will do so for 2008.

message 6: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments I have a small book group on LJ that I started for the 50-book challenge which quickly swelled to the 100 book challenge for a few of us.

I'm at 116 for 2007 so far. I *might* get another in before the month is over but I've been so busy this year it's been hard to get reading time. (I made it over 140 last year.)

At first I did it for the challenge, now I just like having proof that I'm a read-a-holic. I actually stress out if I don't have a book in my vicinity. There's GOT to be a name for that...

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie My shelf has 111 for 2007, but I'll guess a dozen of those weren't read to completion.

message 8: by Dora (new)

Dora | 41 comments I've tracked the books I read in a spreadsheet for about 5 years.

The last couple of years, I haven't been quite as good. I was between 60 and 75 books the first three years I tracked my reading. Last couple of years it's been 25. I only count books I finished.

I think I'll do a 2008 shelf too...

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments I kept track of my books for the first time this year. I'm on #103 now, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which really should count as at least two books. On the other hand, I've read a few frivolous novels which hardly deserve credit as a whole book so I guess it averages out.

This is a low number for me. I've been trying to write something of my own this year and that has occupied a lot of my spare time.

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 20 comments ... now I just like having proof that I'm a read-a-holic. I actually stress out if I don't have a book in my vicinity. There's GOT to be a name for that...

How's "bibliovore" sound? I'm much the same way - my total of 80 for this year (may squeeze one or two more in before 12/31) is actually the lowest total since I started tracking in 2003.

message 11: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments How's "bibliovore" sound?

Oh yeah. That works.

I think I'll do a "2008" shelf too. Good idea.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 10 comments I'm curious: for those of you who read upwards of 100 books a year, which would be more than two a week: how closely are you reading them, and what genres do you generally read?

Note: this is *not* meant to be a criticism -- I'm genuinely curious how people consistently manage to read two books a week, every week. I mean, I thought I was pretty good reading one every two weeks, and now I feel like a total frigging slacker!

message 13: by Ealaindraoi (new)

Ealaindraoi | 10 comments My count for my 2007 shelf is 173. However, this is the first time I've ever attempted to count how much I read, so when I set up the shelf, I guessed at the early 2007 books. I could have read some of them in 2006. It'll be interesting to me to see what the count ends up being for 2008.

I read a lot of YA books, which are shorter and move right along, so that is one reason why my count is high. I also read everyday, usually 75-150 pages a day. I read really fast, but closely. I could pass a comprehension test up to week after I read the book. After that, depends on the book.
I can't remember the last time I didn't finish a book, but I only pick books I've seen a recommendation for, here or elsewhere. Life is too short to waste on bad books. I did skip about 200 pages in the middle of Jonathan Strange, only read the footnotes, but I'm sure I didn't miss much!
I rarely buy a book, because I rarely reread anything. Almost all my books are from the librar(ies), which are mailed to my house. (it's like Christmas every couple of days.) My 13 year old daughter reads almost as much, and almost as fast as me, so we trade and discuss books, which is a bit of a spur to keep reading.

message 14: by Pam (new)

Pam | 87 comments 50 so far. I don't count pages. I probably dumped about ten, some because I thought they were badly written, but some dumps were impulse buys -- I should have checked more closely or at least read some reviews.

Some books I finished in a day or so because I couldn't put them down -- The Road and World War Z were real page-turners. Others took longer -- The Terror and The Forsyte Saga are big books.

message 15: by Ryl (new)

Ryl (rylf) | 29 comments Only 114 for me this year as opposed to close to 200 in the past. I've had a busy, stressful year so reading kind of fell to the wayside. I have read some really thick books, but most were from the pile of to-reads in my closet.

message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary

>Only 114 for me this year as opposed to close to >200 in the past.

Now, see, this reminds me of Laura's question up above. How do you do this? 114 is more than 2 books per week *every* week. 200 is nearly 4 per week. How do you physically do this?

message 17: by What Exit? (last edited Dec 24, 2007 06:21AM) (new)

What Exit? | 11 comments Gary, this is going to come out a little negative sounding and it is only my experience, but back in the days before the internet when I was in my early 20s, single and living at home (in my parent's basement, by no great coincidence) I probably read 200 books in a year.
I had plenty of time on my hands as I was saving every penny to go back to school full time. My main entertainment was reading. Used bookstores were far more common back then and weekly trips to the library helped.
I would often read a book in a day; rarely did it take 3 days. Hell, even now I can get into a reading mode, I read the last Harry Potter book in 2 days and few books I was reading back then were that long. You can rip through a Piers Anthony book in 4-5 hours with ease. That was a single night back then.
Anyway, for me to read 200 books required having too much time on hands and a social life that consisted of hanging out with friends maybe twice a week.
Even in the Navy, I found time to read over a 100 books per year with ease. We were not supposed to read on watch, but it was that or fall asleep. I probably spent half my watches at sea reading. In port, my friends and I were always doing something, so my reading went down. But at sea I would rip through books on a daily basis.
I am sure plenty of others here just read a lot quicker than I do, but this is my experience with really high volume reading.

Jim

message 18: by Gary (new)

Gary

Thanks, What-Exit. Do you have any ideas on technical approaches to reading? That is, aside from lots of spare time, how can one read more quickly while maintaining comprehension and appreciation of the art? I find myself reading more slowly because I want to appreciate the art that went into crafting the sentences and story. Or I want to fully comprehend the non-fiction.

Is there something besides simple speed-reading that helps one to become a more efficient reader? For example, does it help to focus on the spaces between words or practice reading words in groups of 3 or 4 at a time? What works for folks out there?

message 19: by Dora (new)

Dora | 41 comments I count, but just out of curiosity. I'd like to read more books than I do, but I'd have to sacrifice other life activities (including reading on the internet) to do that. I've tried to use GoodReads to be more organized and efficient about reading books.

message 20: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments I'm curious: for those of you who read upwards of 100 books a year, which would be more than two a week: how closely are you reading them, and what genres do you generally read?

I read books back to back and sometimes have more than one going at a time. I am a very speedy reader, to the point where I have to really make a conscious effort to slow down with some books in order to get the full benefit of the story. If the book isn't gripping me, I will balance it with another story. Unfortunately I'm not one of those intelligent people that can put down a boring book. I'm a stubborn girl.

I try to balance my heavier reads with 'fluff' when I need it. "Don Quixote" is on my pile but I haven't been able to bring myself to crack it open yet. It's been an ongoing personal challenge to tackle more of the classics and I've been doing pretty well.

We travel a lot but I haven't been reading in the truck as much as I have before because it makes my husband grumpy (ugh) so that's why my numbers are down but in the long run, I just love to read. Keeping track is just part of the fun.

message 21: by Julie (last edited Dec 26, 2007 10:57AM) (new)

Julie How do I read so much? Well, my husband and I read together, meaning we are both reading at the same time, usually for at least an hour a night.

One thing that's funny about my reading patterns is that I usually have four or five books going at once, and I tend to finish them all at around the same time, so I'll go a week or two without finishing anything, then bam, five books done.

As for what I read? Almost exclusively fantasy and mystery. My newest kick is urban fantasy. Lots of YA, which I claim is research for my own novels. I also read a ton of poetry, but rarely in books.

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 76 comments I'm curious: for those of you who read upwards of 100 books a year, which would be more than two a week: how closely are you reading them, and what genres do you generally read?

I simply read very quickly, and I read in every spare moment. If not for my job and this pesky husband and children hanging about I would read even more. I'm off work for the next week and my kids will be out of town so I'll probably go through more than a book a day. I don't have a goal - reading is just my primary form of entertainment.

I read almost entirely fiction with the occasional biography or history book. Some of what I read is frivolous but it's mostly solid sci-fi, historical fiction and fantasy. I rather admire people who read huge amounts of non-fiction.

message 23: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 20 comments I don't read as much as I did a couple years ago (outside obligations), but I do usually have a couple of books going at once, as reading is my main hobby/form of entertainment.
I also read extremely quickly (always have), but feel my retention rate is pretty decent. I read a mix of fiction & non-fiction - with most of the fiction being SF/F. I try to limit my re-reads, as my To Read list is so long, but occasionally enjoy revisiting old friends.

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I read about 15 books this year. I was keeping a list and lost it, so it might be a couple more than that. I'm a very slow reader and it sometimes takes me a month or more to finish one book. As a result, some years I only get through about half what I did this year. I was pretty proud of myself this year and refuse to have my self-esteem lowered by you 100+ books a year people. ;) I just can't do that!

message 25: by Valerie (new)

Valerie And I've probably seen 100 movies this year. My husband (who, sadly, does not read anything except aquarium books and gun magazines) has to see just about every new movie that comes out.

I think I'll try to set a goal of 20 books for 2008. I just started two books that I will include on the 2008 list when they are finished to give myself a jump start. Hey, it's my list, I'll cheat if I want to!