City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

Movie comments: anything you want to say about the movie

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jennifer I am SO disappointed with the cast for the movie. TMI facebook just released a photo and here are my thoughts/vents. I LOVE this series and am so upset by this casting I find I may not watch the movies because I don't want to be stuck with the images of the cast in my head when I'm reading the books. Firstly, Jace (Jamie) is so small, lengthy, and not how I imagined Jace. I pictured him with muscles, broad shoulder, and HOT!! Simon is NOT supposed to be hotter than Jace. I mean don't get me wrong I think the casting for Simon is smokin, but again not I imagined. Clary - shes ok. ALEC - honestly, this guy is like 30! he LOOKS so old in comparison to the rest of the cast it really stands out. I know there is no point in harping on about the cast they are already filming but still - sheesh - Im sad about it.

Jennifer Rebecca wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I am SO disappointed with the cast for the movie. TMI facebook just released a photo and here are my thoughts/vents. I LOVE this series and am so upset by this casting I find I may..."

No I was super upset, I know most movies aren't exactly how you picture, but dang this casting seemed way off

Gabby Jennifer wrote: "I am SO disappointed with the cast for the movie. TMI facebook just released a photo and here are my thoughts/vents. I LOVE this series and am so upset by this casting I find I may not watch the mo..."

Kevin is 27. They had to make him older, because Godfrey is 27, too. (Actually they were born three days apart!) But they are funny, decent actors/actresses and i trust that they will make this movie as amazing as possible.

((Savanha)) What is going to suck for me is the people who are going to read the book AFTER the fist movie came out and act like they know the book and stuff because i read that book when it first came so I no the book. And also they are going to start comparing it to twilight and you CANT COMPARE it to twilight like ever for never. Ohkay, I am done. Oh and plus I am not liking the class escpecially Jace. Jace is supposed to be the heartthrob and my heart is not THROBBING!!!!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ever since the movies butchered a couple of my favorite books I don't actually bother about being bothered with it. I just hope that some of the people that watch the movie like it so much that they decide to pick up the books.
I enjoy the books so much that they would have to get everything down to the smallest details for me to be excited about it. Ill watch it... but Im not jumping up and down in my seat, waiting for it to come out.

Jennifer Gabby wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I am SO disappointed with the cast for the movie. TMI facebook just released a photo and here are my thoughts/vents. I LOVE this series and am so upset by this casting I find I may..."

Don't know why they had to make Alec older, Magnus is immortal so it would have been fine for him to appear older than alec visually.

Gabby Jennifer wrote: "Gabby wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I am SO disappointed with the cast for the movie. TMI facebook just released a photo and here are my thoughts/vents. I LOVE this series and am so upset by this castin..."

Cassie Really liked him as Alec, and he's really funny and nice, so i'm happy with that decision :)

Cameron I'm actually VERY excited for the movie. I LOVE LOVE LOVED the series from the start so this is super exciting for me. I agree that movies do sometimes capture the book all wrong, but i don't think Cassie will let that happen :) I agree with everyone else though. some of the cast does seem wrong. like Jace. Just like Jennifer, I imagened Jace bigger and hotter. Jamie seems scrawny to me. It's sad because in the books I like Jace better, but i think in the movie im going to like Simon better.:P

Anna I'm so glad I'm not the only one not thrilled with the casting. Out of what I've seen the only person I'm ok with really is Lily for Clary. I was going to give Jamie the benifit of the doubt but with the recent set pictures it looks like he hasn't bulked up at all. I'm not expecting him to go all unhealthy and put on a lot of muscle all at once but he was cast like 6 months ago (at least from what I can remember) he could have at least made himself looked toned by now.

I really like Robert Sheehan as an actor but he's not what I pictured Simon to look like at all. I will give him a chance since I know he's a good actor he might be able to pull it off on screen.

I haven't seen Jemima act but it seems like she lacks Isabelle's idk fierceness? is that the word I'm looking for? When I looked at the cast photo of them all together my eyes didn't go straight to her like I felt like they should. Again I will give her a chance and see how she works on screen.

I guess Alec could be ok if Cassie really likes him. He does seem to look older than Magnus which isn't a good thing. Sigh, I guess we will have to wait till August to see if they've Eragoned this one.

message 10: by Jeni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeni I'm reserving judgment until I see it. I love movies from books, just because I like seeing what other people got from a story.

As for casting, well, my imagination is just right when it comes to what the characters look like, so no movie, in the history of movies made from novels, ever has the perfect cast for my tastes.

Bettina To be honest i don't think we would ever be satisfied with a cast. I mean each and every one of us have different images of the characters it's hard to find someone fit. But i like Clary and Simon, i semi like Jace, but i think that's just because i like Jamie, he's not how i pictured Jace (:

message 12: by Nur (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nur Omg cant cant wait till the movie, but i wished the cast was a bit better "no offence to the actors"... Still g2 see the movie first before i say something horibble.. :) hope it turns out good

Amanda i really want to see the movie, cause i lovedf the book, but i think the cast list kinda sucks i mean like the actor playing jace looks NOTHING LIKE JACE NOTHING!!! and lilly collins umm idk just i won't have picked her, but i still want to see the movie

Brittany I agree AMANDA!! i would love to see this movie but the cast makes me hesitant. clary and jace are 15 and 16 and the actors playing them are 22 -_- they LOOK 22. too old. and the actor play luke (aiden turner) is too young right? i am a fan of his but this isnt aat good role for him. i pictured luke as being older. so idk how this movie is going to work lol

Gabby Awww, Jamie is an excellent Actor I love him so much. and i really don't think they could have got a better actor.

Random comment: It's like a midget set! They're so tiny! but since i'm really short, i don't have a problem with that :)

message 16: by Breeze (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Breeze Alex Pettyfer was offered the roll and he turned it down. If you need to be more disappointed about his decision watch I am Number Four.
Jamie Bowen is scrawny and has bad stringy hair. I was hoping the director would at least buff him up but clearly seeing the onset photos from Toronto they have left him as is hunched, scrawny, limp, bug eyed etc. self! He isn't ugly but he sure in hell isn't Jace!!! Cassandra Claire should have requested a clause in the movie contract to have a say in the actors chosen!

message 17: by Breeze (last edited Sep 23, 2012 01:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Breeze http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_utkNgv-Y2Iw...
http://cdn01.cdn.justjaredjr.com/wp-c...
Here you go........Alex Pettyfer vs. Jamie Campbel Bower (this is an actual pic from the set of Mortal Instruments)
I can hear all of us sigh with disbelief that he was cast and not asked to lift a few weights and get a hair cut. But I still hope he does well because I loved the story!

Breeze Rebecca wrote: "Hilary wrote: "http://0.tqn.com/d/worldfilm/1/0/w/D/..."

Who is that supposed to be?"

your quick! I've already deleted that pic. That was from another form about who would play Patch from Hush Hush LOL.

Breeze I recently read a fan went to Toronto and hung around the set. ( If it's anything like Vancouver filming that is easily done and you can see the actors up close.) He told Jamie C Bower he was happy about the movie and him playing Jace. This fan went on to say Jamie's response was one of surprise since he understands that the fans were very disappointed. I can't imagine trying to do a job that everyone has already decided you suck at! I really do hope he pulls it off!

Amanda (BookMuffins) I'm excited for the movie.
When I first saw the cast, I was really disappointed about their choices, because none of them fitted my image of them. They were either too old (Alec), or too young (Valentine), or just plain strange (Jace). But as days rolled around, and the TMI cast started shooting, I started to warm up to them. And now I'm really excited about the film.

I still don't agree with the choices of the actors, but I came to the conclusion that no actor, or celebrity, or person can play Jace (and all the other characters in the MI books).
Jace will be Jace.
Clary will be Clary.
Simon will be Simon.
Etc....

No one can portray them, unless they portray themselves.

All in all, I hope, despite the actors' appearances, the film screams BAD ASS, and everything will be totally awesome (and NOT cheesy).

Gabby Hilary wrote: "Alex Pettyfer was offered the roll and he turned it down. If you need to be more disappointed about his decision watch I am Number Four.
Jamie Bowen is scrawny and has bad stringy hair. I was hop..."

Cassandra Clare has NO choice in who they choose at actors. NO CHOICE! and Jamie is not scrawny and bug-eyed. Really? Bug-eyed.
At least give him a chance; you haven't seen his acting yet-so, you don't know. He could do a MUCH better job than anyone else as playing Jace. Appearance isn't everything.
And plus 'I was hoping the director would at least buff him up...' excuse you? Jamie is amazing. The director does not need to 'buff him up.' what kind of statement is that! Now i know we can all have our own opinions, but that is ridiculous! You don't diss people because of how they look! Not every actor has to look like Jace, and, frankly- they don't have a choice!
It takes more than one actor to screw up a movie. and i really doubt that this movie will be THAT BAD! It is an excellent book, that Cassie has allowed the rights to be made into a movie. I understand that there will always be haters, but, really, Jamie shouldn't be going through all this shit just because of his appearance. If he was given the role as Jace, than i trust he will be an amazing Jace. There could be worse people.
Okay. Now, this is my opinion and i will stick to it.

message 22: by Shii (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shii all i want to say is i pray they wont wreck it like they did twilight...

Elizabeth First, looking forward to the trailer (I love trailers!). Second, I'll wait until the movie actually comes out before making any kind of comment on the actors and their portrayal.
Whether I like the cast or not won't make much of a difference in the end. When it comes out, I'll still be in line to see it. :)

Cassie C I honestly thought I was the only one who wasn't that excited. So I'm glad to find that other fans of the series aren't either (not that that's actually a good thing, because as fans we should be super excited haha). But, to me the cast was not picked well, and it almost seemed like they were rushed to pick them, you know? I mean, there's really no reason for the guy who playing Alec to be 27. Think about it, there's 6 books...so by the time they finish the guy who plays Alec will be in his mid- to upper thirties! That's just way to old to be playing a 17/18 year old :( And I agree with Just Like Twizzlers, Jace is supposed to be a hearthrob!! I got all excited because I was like, "Ooh, new celeb crush alert!" but sadly, that's just not possible with Jamie :( We can only hope that they stuck really close to the book because at this point, that will be the only thing that'll make up for the disappointing cast. I don't think I'll see the midnight showing of this, but I'll still give the movie a shot.