SDMB - Straight Dope discussion

Books you hope to receive as Christmas gifts

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by bup (new)

bup Just the new Charles Schulz biography...

message 2: by liirogue (new)

liirogue | 4 comments I have no books but add, but I must say, I like your taste in books! I'm definitely looking into these.

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments ...except for a signed copy of Winter's Tale, which just might have my name on it.

If you're talking about the Helprin book, I think I'd happily do evil for an autographed copy. (If you're talking about the Sabuda book, I said NOTHING!)

I've already received "Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore by Jennifer Mclagan" off my wishlist for Hexmas and since I know I'm under orders to not open any more Amazon boxes that may arrive for me, I'm expecting more. My prezzie-buyers have over 800 books to choose from on my list so all are welcome.

If I *had* to choose, I'd want the Annotated Sherlock Holmes set. That would keep me off the streets for a few days.

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 20 comments From my Amazon wish list:

* Museum of Lost Wonder by Jeff Hoke
* Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery by James Lileks
* Since The World Began: Walt Disney World: The First 25 Years by Jeff Kurtti
* The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld (Discworld Novels) by Terry Pratchett
* Making Money (Discworld) by Terry Pratchett (Author)
* Mouse Tracks: The Story of Walt Disney Records by Tim Hollis (Author), et al.
* Night of the Tiki: The Art of Shag, Schmaltz, and Selected Primitive Oceanic Carvings by Doug Harvey (Author), et al.
* Walt Disney's Legends of Imagineering and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park by Jeff Kurtti (Author), Bruce Gordon
* Who Are You People?: A Personal Journey into the Heart of Fanatical Passion in America by Shari Caudron (Author)
* Once More with Footnotes by Terry Pratchett (Author), et al.
* Around the World with Disney by Kevin Markey
* The John Varley Reader by John Varley (Author)
* Pogo Vol. 1 (Pogo) by Walt Kelly
* Antinomy by Spider Robinson
* The World of Charles Addams by Charles Addams
* Killdozer!: Volume III: The Complete Stories of Theodore Sturgeon by Theodore Sturgeon (Author), et al.
* The Best of NPR: Public Laughter (Best of NPR) by National Public Radio (Author)

message 5: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments Received:

~ Appetite for Life (bio of Julia Child) by Noel Riley Fitch
~ Lonesome Dove : A Novel by Larry McMurtry
~ Ravensong: A Natural And Fabulous History Of Ravens And Crows by Catharine Feher-Elston
~ The Far Traveler: Voyages of a Viking Woman by Nancy Marie Brown

I'm almost done with The Far Traveler and it's quite enjoyable.

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie My husband got me a stack of fantasy books. Many of the authors I've never heard of, which is so exciting, but the books are upstairs and I am downstairs so I can't enter them since I'm feeling incredibly lazy!

message 7: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments Ohh! I spoke too soon (and that squealing you all heard last night was me opening the mysterious Amazon package that was on my doorstep when I got home)

~ The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Short Stories (2 Vol. Set) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Leslie S. Klinger, and John Lecarre

*squee*

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments WHERE did he find that, Koeeoaddi?

message 9: by Dani (new)

Dani (kakwik) | 48 comments Oh my freakin' god. I can't believe I never searched for his site.

Thank you so much! I found some signed leatherbound versions on Abebooks but they were way out of my price range.