This topic is about Fevre Dream
Past Group Reads > Fevre Dream - no spoilers

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo | 592 comments Mod
Who's joining me? anyone started?

Kirsty (KirKel) | 1160 comments Mod
I should be able to start in the next couple of days - can't wait!

Sarah  (Scheherazade) | 363 comments Mod
I read this a month or so ago and loved it. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks :)

message 4: by Jo (last edited Sep 08, 2012 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I think I have officially lost the plot - I just thought 'I shall sit out in the garden with a cuppa for an hour and start this', turned kindle on, it's not there. I thought maybe my amazon order hadn't come through so logged on to amazon who don't even have it as a kindle book option! So where I got the idea I had already bought and downloaded it I have no idea?!
Will now have to wait for the paperback to arrive from amazon :s
ETA - Good old Amazon, it will be here tomorrow :D
Edited again - it's here :D

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo | 592 comments Mod
About halfway through and loving it!

I'm going to see Anna Karenina next week at the cinema and it's raised the age old question of which should come first the book or the film? I want to read Fevre Dream and AK is a stonker of a tome.

I just bought Anna Karenina from Amazon. I think I might try and see the film first...get in the mood for it :)

I started it and found it really difficult to get in to (and it's over 1000 pages so the percentage was creeping along) so I started Fevre Dream. I read the ESL version years ago to teach and adult private student and I liked that so I'm quite disappointed.

Oh and when I pick Fevre Dream up I find it difficult to put down - reminds me a bit of Anne Rice but not as atmospheric (if memory serves correctly lol)

I found it incredibly atmospheric, and a bit more believable than Anne Rice. I wrote quite extensively about Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat at university, but neither of them gripped me quite the way Fevre Dream did. I was struck by how stuck on consumerism they were, and I came over all Marxist on them lol :)