Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Mysteries by Era > Middle Ages

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:36PM) (new)

Julie | 18 comments Additions and corrections gratefully received!

France

Sharan Newman's Catherine LeVendeur books, starting with Death Comes as Epiphany

Byzantium

Mary Reed and Eric Mayer's books, starting with One for Sorrow

Japan

IJ Parker's Akitada books, starting with Rashomon Gate

British Isles and Ireland

Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma books, starting with Absolution by Murder

Paul Harding's Brother Athelstan books, starting
with The Nightengale Gallery

Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael books, starting with A Morbid Taste for Bones

Michael Jecks's Medieval West Country books, starting with The Last Templar

Sharon Kay Penman's Justin de Quincey books, starting with The Queen's Man

Margaret Frazer's Dame Frevisse books, starting with The Novice's Tale

Margaret Frazer's Joliffe books, starting with A Play of Isaac

Candace Robb's Owen Archer books, starting with The Apothecary Rose

Candace Robb's Margaret Kerr books, starting with A Trust Betrayed

Kate Sedley's Roger the Chapman books, starting with Death and the Chapman

Alys Clare's Josse d'Acquin books, starting with Fortune Like the Moon

Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew books, starting with A Plague on Both Your Houses

Pat McIntosh's Gil Cunningham books, starting with The Harper's Quine

Ariana Franklin's Adelia Aguilar books, starting with Mistress of the Art of Death

Alan Gordon's Fools' Guild books, starting with Thirteenth Night

Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 22 comments Julie, I will add The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey as well as the SKP´s books: The Queen´s Man, Cruel as Grave, Dragon´s Liar and Prince of Darkness. And not forgettin the series by C.J. Sansom also.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 411 comments I'd describe the Shardlake series as Tudor - are we going that late here?

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 18 comments I was using a mental breakoff of about 1500, but I'm perfectly willing to put any book where people think it makes the most sense.

Laura, by "SKP" do you mean Sharon Kay Penman? I do have The Queen's Man listed above. I'll add the Tey in a second, though.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 22 comments Julie wrote: "I was using a mental breakoff of about 1500, but I'm perfectly willing to put any book where people think it makes the most sense.

Laura, by "SKP" do you mean Sharon Kay Penman? I do have The Que..."

Yes Julie, it is Sharon kay Penman

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 411 comments The Shardlakes are set (so far) between 1537-1542, Julie.

message 7: by MBP (new)

MBP | 8 comments Also, Cora Harrison's Burren books, starting with My Lady Judge (Ireland, 1509)

message 8: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) Pope Joan. Not a book to miss!

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 26 comments I loved Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson - a medieval mystery

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 411 comments Perhaps we could do an "Early Modern" list too?

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Haven | 15 comments Melvin R Starr's series of Hugh de Singleton, surgeon, are great also. Set in the 14th century in Oxford and Bampton, England. This would be a great series to add to your list.

message 12: by happy (last edited Dec 29, 2012 10:21AM) (new)

happy (happyone) | 147 comments Paul Doherty has several series set in England during the middle ages. The most popular is probably the ones with Hugh Corbet, starting with Satan in St Mary's

other series of his that I've enjoyed

The Brother Athelstan series starting with The Nightingale Gallery

and the Cantebury tales series starting with An Ancient Evil

message 13: by Jeri (last edited Jan 01, 2013 03:46PM) (new)

Jeri Westerson | 9 comments I felt a little left out here. I mean, I've got five books in my medieval noir series. The latest is Blood Lance. My detective is a disgraced knight turned detective, a sort of hard-boiled detective in fourteenth century London. Give it a shot. Blood Lance as murder, Geoffrey Chaucer, a missing religious relic, and jousting! Blood Lance A Medieval Noir by Jeri Westerson