Genealogy discussion

Findagrave is good and getting better

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Have any of you ever visited findagrave.com? I first went thru to put virtual flowers on my fathers on virtual grave and it helped my grief. Now I have added about 40 people there online and they are using numbers now which helps. Do check it out sometime.

message 2: by Maryd (new)

Maryd | 29 comments I've looked up several family members' grave sites using find-a-grave, even had someone take a photo for me. i found out one of my great great grandmothers was buried next to her husband and not where she died, so that was helpful. Great program!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I like it too.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Paladin | 2 comments Anyone can volunteer to be a photographer of graves (requested in your area). A wonderful opportunity if you like getting out and about, and enjoy helping others in their tree shaking ;)

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Mary wrote: "Anyone can volunteer to be a photographer of graves (requested in your area). A wonderful opportunity if you like getting out and about, and enjoy helping others in their tree shaking ;)"

I posted just a couple of photos so far. I'm now working on a bulk upload of my ancestors who are buried at Spring Grove cemetery. I thought I would have more than 25 and now I'm already almost up to 100! It will take me a few days to enter the data, cross check it, upload it and then link up the folks. I'm working on it whenever I get a minute or two. Of the cemetery sharing sites I found this one the easiest to use.

I also signed up to be a volunteer photographer. I feel very fortunate to have so many families that I can research locally but I also know the frustration of trying to research at a distance!

message 6: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I found one of my ancestors on find a grave, actually a couple of them. I need to go physically find his grave. Exciting stuff.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments It is wonderful to see all those stones being put online. I still have a spreadsheet full of them that I need to up-line sometime soon.

message 8: by Didi (new)

Didi (penathey) | 22 comments I transcribed a couple of local cemeteries and uploaded them. It is so touching and gratifying to go back and see the flowers and messages left on especially some of the really old graves. The one thing I wish Find-a-Grave would add is a section where you can just add links to existing transcriptions of cemeteries on GenWebs, historical societies, etc. That would make the site even more awesome!

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Didi wrote: "I transcribed a couple of local cemeteries and uploaded them. It is so touching and gratifying to go back and see the flowers and messages left on especially some of the really old graves. The one ..."

Didi, why not make the suggestion to them? It's an excellent idea!

message 10: by Robin (last edited Sep 04, 2010 12:31PM) (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes, even linking to ancestry or all the genealogical datbases, so people don't just find it through happenstance much the way that I did.