Patrick O'Brian Readers/Tall Ships Fans discussion

recorded books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by pete (new)

pete | 3 comments hi all,
has anyone listened to the recorded books of the series? i first became aware of the series because i traveled a lot and borrowed books from the local library. this series quickly became my favorite of all. after listening to all of them minus one (for some reason this one album was never available) a couple of times i found i had to buy them. bought all in hardbound directly from norton publishers. i've read them regularly ever since.

if you haven't listened to the recorded books i would encourage you to give it a try. they are available unabridged and most of them are narrated by patrick tull who gives them a wonderful treatment, rendering the the wry wit that patrick o'brian wrote perfectly, in my opinion. hope you enjoy them as much as i have.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 6 comments Mod
Hi there! Always nice to know that there are more O'Brian fans out there. I must confess to being something of an evangelist in that area. I have a friend in Mexico who found the first book in the local library (in English even!) and when she told me she read it and liked it I sent her Post Captain. Now she's almost through that and I have sent her HMS Surprise - which is my favourite. I've listened to some of the Simon Vance recording and only recently found Tull who I prefer. I agree that he delivers the "dry wit" of O'Brian better. So I've been downloading them from Audible.com month by month - great to pop in the car for long drives.

message 3: by Johnny (new)

Johnny (johnnyfunk) | 3 comments pete wrote: "hi all,
has anyone listened to the recorded books of the series? i first became aware of the series because i traveled a lot and borrowed books from the local library. this series quickly became..."

I've listened to the first book on tape, narrated by Patrick Tull. Took a little while to get used to his accent. Good for long trips where you can pay attention, but not as background sound while cooking.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3 comments HMS Surprise is my favorite too, and though I have read the whole series at least 5 times, when I crave a taste of O'B, that's where I go. And then I am ruined for all other novels for months!

message 6: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 6 comments Mod
Me too - probably 7 or 8 times for HMS Surprise. And it DOES make mere novelists look a little lame! I even read HMS Surprise while I was in Port Mahon. It was so wonderful to wander the streets that Jack and Stephen walked,the Pigtail Steps, and the arch that Jack runs thru with his men on their way to the rescue. All there, so cool...

message 7: by James (new)

James (opjim) | 1 comments Overall Simon Vance is my favorite reader. I have bought books just because he read them his Ian Fleming James Bond series is unparalleled. I like him even better than Jim Dale reading Harry Potter and I love those seven books

As for the topic in question, I prefer Vance to Tull even thought some of the points about voices do have merit. Tull simply reads too slow and sometimes his pronunciation is hard to understand. My favorite read of Patrick O’Brian is Tim Piggot smith but He only reads the abridged. Robert hardy was also good