The 1700-1939 Book Club! discussion

The Moon and Sixpence
This topic is about The Moon and Sixpence
Past Group Reads > The Moon And Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (Ch. 30-58).

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
This is for the discussion of The Moon And Sixpence by W. Somerset Maugham (Ch. 30-58).

Silver I have just finished the book and while all in all I enjoyed it I have to say that I felt this second part, detailing the events after Strickland's death kind of dragged a bit for me.

He was such a great character. Maybe not the most likable guy, but I loved his frank honesty about everything, and I have to say I was left with mixed feelings about the narrator, for he at times could get on my nerves. So when Strickland was no longer actively in the story and we just heard about him 2nd hand from the narrator it was somewhat less interesting.

Lynnm I just finished the book today and really enjoyed it.

As Silver said, the second half did drag a bit, but it was also in the second part that Maugham made a lot of his points about an artist's mindset.

I have a lot to say about it, but I want it to settle for a couple of days....so I'll be back later in the week. :-)

Wayne I agree with Silver in that I would have preferred to have Strickland play an active role throughout the book, instead of hearing about his life in Tahiti after the fact from others. However, I think it was an excellent portrayal of the artist who is so driven to make his art that nothing else matters to him.

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 738 comments Mod
I mostly just had a problem with the narrator. Many things he wrote could have been left out. I enjoyed the parts where he talked about Strickland's life and his art but most other times he was annoying.

What traits do you think most artist share with Strickland?
Are most artist haunted/possessed by an idea that they are struggling to express?

I know I have ideas I wish I could express but can't seem to translate onto paper both in words and art but I have never had the patience to write and am artistically challenged when it comes to drawing. It would be hard to spend your whole life trying to achieve something like Strickland.