What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Crime Zero
This topic is about Crime Zero
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Plans to release virus that kills all adult men [s]

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments Read 5-10 years ago.

There was a group of people who were going to release some sort of drug/virus into the population that would kill all adult men, and stop boys from reaching puberty (or do something that would make them passive and non-violent).
Their reason being that men were the cause of all violence, war, etc.
I specifically remember something about airports/planes: the virus would be released into the air there, without anyone's knowledge, and it would then spread across the world that way. Part of it may have taken place in the lab that developed the virus.
There was another group that knew about it and were opposed to the idea. One or both groups may have worked for the government. I think it took place in the near future, on Earth.
At the end they managed to stop it, but a second too late, and some of it got released. Maybe, I don't really remember.
And I think there might be numbers in the title.

message 2: by Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (last edited Sep 05, 2012 07:39AM) (new)

Themis-Athena (Lioness at Large) (Themis-Athena) | 71 comments Could it be the novelization of the movie The Twelve Monkeys?

Here's the GR entry for the novel based on the movie: Twelve Monkeys.

ETA: Alternatively, it might be just about anything written by Sheri S. Tepper -- Grass, Six Moon Dance or The Gate to Women's Country come to mind in particular ...

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 159 comments Shot in the dark as neither of these fit all the details...

The Girl Who Owned a City

Wither

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments Gibbon's Decline and Fall

has some elements of this, too, as does a sub plot in the third one of this set (probably out of order)

Hominids
Humans
Hybrids

message 5: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments None of those look right.

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments In The Giver, boys have to take something that stops hormones.

Are you sure it was men/boys? If it was women, it might have been The Knife of Never Letting Go.

message 7: by Teno (new)

Teno Q. This is a long shot, but, how bout The God Virus

At the end there's something about a virus being released to kill a bunch of people, and another group tried to stop them but some of it got released anyway.

message 8: by Andria (last edited Sep 05, 2012 06:46PM) (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2030 comments Mod
Sounds like Crime Zero

"a chilling near future when a steely female FBI director and her sycophant virologist plot to alter human biogenetics and create a crime-free, female Utopia."

Written in 1999, set in 2008

message 9: by Sofie (new) - added it

Sofie | 25 comments I am pretty sure it's Crime Zero, even though the synopsis hardly matches my memory. Thank you!