No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama Bin Laden No Easy Day question

Ethical Soundness of Books Like This.
Nicholas Nicholas Sep 04, 2012 08:06PM
I'm interested, do you believe that a book like this is a breach of America's operational security (OPSEC) or freedom of speech?

Allan (last edited Oct 08, 2012 07:19PM ) Oct 08, 2012 06:27PM   1 vote
As a Navy veteran I read this book with great interest and with the same concerns Nicholas. This book doesn't do any harm to the national security of this country. In fact, the author went to great legnths to have the book read by a lawyer specializing in these matters well before it went to publication. I beleive, as I think anyone who read the book would attest, that the author would rather die than bring dishonor to himself, his unit, or this country. Our wonderful gOvernment tried to silence him and probably turned a fair read into a best seller. Congrats to the author, I hope you are awash in royalties and financially set for life.

As a Librarian I read this to be able advise patrons, but I was definitely torn on whether or not to read this one. That being said I am glad that I did read it. Good Book

Working at a book store and having read the book, I would say that all the hype about whether there's a breach actually gave the book more exposure.

I agree with the other comments, the government and news organizations as well as some high profile officials have pretty much come out with most of this info way before the book was out. I don't believe he did anything wrong. The only thing you have to wonder about is the acuracy of the book. Im sure his memory would differ a bit from the guys standing next to him. But from all the reports, it seems fairly close to what has been said before the book came out

This book doesn't breach OPSEC in the least, and the media hype surrounding that was such bs. Nothing in this book with regards to the mission was previously unknown. It's actually nice to read it first hand so to speak than through the likes of national news.

The fluff, which to me was mainly the first 50% of the book concerning training and whatnot of the authors SEAL career. It's not secret information. Military and para-military (law enforcement) forces worldwide use the same strategies which in most cases lean to what is the most logical for a given situation. When the US military and other country SF teams train together, and train their subordinates (we had SF CQC training as regular grunts during my OIF deployment), it's really no surprise.

Most of the details might be over the head of the less military inclined reader, but it all ends the same.

Donna Crupi I agree with Allan J. Owen should be greatly rewarded for this book. He also is a great supporter of veterans and promises to give proceeds from the b ...more
Apr 29, 2013 07:26PM
Kirk The "fluff" was actually as interesting as the operation itself.
May 15, 2014 01:29PM

The author had nerves of steel. I'm glad there are men and women like him--people willing to risk their lives for others, but who are also able to keep their cool in tense situations like this one.

I really liked this book. All the hype really helped sell it! I think the government was not so much concerned of leaking secrets but afraid that they would get slammed for their decision making or lack of it.

I think the book might do a bit of good. It gives some insight into the modern "band of brothers" and may inspire some young person to consider this path of service.