Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > Dystopian/Futuristic

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I highly recommend The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins, even I don't like book 3 much.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 54 comments Across the universe & a million suns by Beth Revis is AMAZING!!

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Sep 05, 2012 11:31AM) (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness.
I've just really enjoyed it. My husband and I read it together (a VERY rare thing) and we've really had fun talking about it!
The first book is:
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness

message 4: by Laura (last edited Sep 06, 2012 01:45PM) (new)

Laura (HypnoticX) | 746 comments Definitely recommended, I loved it! Its different x) :
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi

message 5: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Laura wrote: "Definitely recommended, I loved it! Its different x) :
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi"

Got it as a gift months ago. Oh man, come to think of it, I have so many books to read and I'm so busy with work :(

message 6: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

This book is perfect for those who love reading paranormal & dystophian books. It is about vampires and oppression. With a little bit of romance.

message 7: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Article 5 (Article 5, #1) by Kristen Simmons
If you like dystophian books, but are not a fan of romance, I recommend this one. This is one hell of a book! There is almost next to nothing when it comes to romance. There are tons of actions and surprises.

message 8: by Carly (new)

Carly Fries | 59 comments If you want to go old school and read some classic dystopian fiction, read 1984 or Animal Farm by George Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury or Brave New World by Aldous Huxley :)

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Heard 1984 was so good! I might check it out someday. Thanks rec!

message 10: by Katie (last edited Oct 10, 2012 12:51PM) (new)

Katie (ohcakey) Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant
This was amazing definitely check it out, I need need need to read the next book :'D

message 11: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments I know! That's one of my favorites! I need to read Hunger very soon as well!

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 50 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Heard 1984 was so good! I might check it out someday. Thanks rec!"

Oh, that is one of my all time least favorite books ever...

Fahrenheit 451 was okay.

message 13: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Cassandra wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Heard 1984 was so good! I might check it out someday. Thanks rec!"

Fahrenheit 451 was okay."

I don't have the book yet, otherwise I would read it :)

And guys, I am going to read Gone too since you ladies seem to love it so much :)

Lucky for me I have friend with book benefits :D I can borrow the series for her :)

message 14: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 50 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Gisbelle wrote: "Heard 1984 was so good! I might check it out someday. Thanks rec!"

Fahrenheit 451 was okay."

I don'..."

I had to read both in high school for AP Literature. I didn't pay for them, which for 1984 is a good thing. My best friend has a library with a couple hundred books, so I should never buy books, but I do!

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie (ohcakey) Jacquelyn wrote: "I know! That's one of my favorites! I need to read Hunger very soon as well!"

YES! I bought it a little while after I finished Gone, can't wait to start it!

message 16: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Yes! I have the first 3 !

message 17: by Carly (new)

Carly Fries | 59 comments I was just wondering, a friend and I were discussing whether or not The Mortal Instruments books could be considered dystopian?

message 18: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Carly- I looked it up and I'm getting mixed signals. Some people say that it's not but other people have lists of great dystopian books- including City of Bones

message 19: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Some people said the series is in Urban Fantasy genre. But I have no idea since I haven't read even a book in the series yet :)

message 20: by Carly (new)

Carly Fries | 59 comments Yes, it's definitely fantasy :) but for me, dystopian is when there is a controlling government and the society is different, which is true of Idris (the fictional city in the book) even though the whole story doesn't take place there, and the Clave (their powerful government). I'm only asking because I'm reallly into the series right now and I want to substitute it for another book in the 2 month reading challenge :)

message 21: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments If it is so, I also think it is a dystopia. Even not very much :)

message 22: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Highly rec Monument 14 (Monument 14 #1) by Emmy Laybourne...It is soooo good. [image error]

message 23: by Beatrice (new)

message 24: by Jacquelyn, thebrunettebooknerd (new)

Jacquelyn (jacquelynreads) | 19024 comments Tori wrote: "My favorite one that I've read is Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis but I also really like Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

I really want to read Across the Universe!

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie (ohcakey) Jacquelyn wrote: "Tori wrote: "My favorite one that I've read is Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis but I also really like Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

I really want to read Across the Universe!"

I've just bought that today :) so excited to read it! *adds to the pile*

message 26: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Tori wrote: "My favorite one that I've read is Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) by Beth Revis but I also really like Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth"

both are my favorite :) I also have A million Suns on hand, but haven't read it yet :D I should stop getting more books XD

message 28: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments Chelsie wrote: "Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica RothInsurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth
Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren OliverPandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver
Matched (Matched, #1) by Ally CondieCrossed (Matched, #2) by Ally Condie
[bookcover:Legend|927..."

I have read only 2 from your list, Divergent & The Selection and I loved them! Thanks for rec :)

message 29: by Kara (new)

Kara | 20 comments I remember I read the Giver, by Lois Lowry, a couple years ago for school, it was good. The plot was a lot like matched.

message 30: by Yoly (new)

Yoly | 696 comments Gisbelle wrote: "Heard 1984 was so good! I might check it out someday. Thanks rec!"

I read them all. 1984 I think is the best. I dont like the end of "Brave new world" but the book is really good. Fahrenheit 451 is good, but I think the idea of the book and what you learn after read it is better that the book itself.

"The end of eternity" is a Sci-fi book that I just finish and is really really good. If you like dystopian´s books you should read it.

In other subjet: I love The hunger games trilogy. I just read "Divergent" and I want to read "Insurgent" but I think "The hunger games" is better. However I think the love history of "Divergent" is more emotional.

message 31: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments New thread: YA Dystopia

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.