All Things Respectful discussion

Introductions Please

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C-Cose, OT Aficionado (new)

C-Cose Daley | 12 comments Mod
Greetings all :)

Just like the title says, this thread is all about introducing yourself to the group at large. What brought you to this group, GoodReads, reading, planet Earth? The more we know, the more evidence we have ... lol :)

I'll post my intro a little later once I've taken care of some general admin things :)

Very best!

p.s. That's a Maritimer way of signing off :)

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (BonBon08) | 1 comments Hi everyone :-)
My name is Bonnie, I love to read. Most of my reading however is of fiction. I enjoy psychological thrillers more than anything. James Patterson is my fave author. That being said, I do read just about anything if the mood strikes. Happy reading to all!!

message 3: by Debra (new)

Debra | 1 comments Oh gosh...does that mean it's my turn? LOL

I like about most genres...but fiction is by far my choices of material. Stephen King, Dean Koonz...etc...THAT kind of fiction! I am not a person that reads romance-type books...blak! I want something with some real meat!

My bad though...it's been a long time since I have picked up any books, though the season is soon upon us where I once again will!

Nite all!

message 4: by C-Cose, OT Aficionado (new)

Hello Ladies :)

Thx a ton for being the first and second ... lol :) Now I can post without interruption or the dread of being first :D

I won't bother repeating what's in my bio ... if you know me, you do. If you don't, you will.

My likes are quite varied. For fiction I tend more towards Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker ... or the other extreme of sci-fi / fantasy (there are too many authors to mention). The Herberts, Eddings, and Marion Zimmer Bradley are just a few. I do enjoy some thrillers and mystery, but I'm an old school mystery buff that prefers Poirot, Ms. Marple and such.

My secret shame used to be Jackie Collins but I haven't touched anything of hers in ages. I guess that shame has been replaced by TV's "Real Housewives" and such. I also enjoy a well written literary romp between the sheets ... but I tend towards the "alternate" in that respect.

My other great love is historical fiction--Margaret George is a favorite in that genre.

Now if I can just find a topic for discussion for the group at large ..... feel free to start one people!!!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1 comments Hello everyone. ;) My name is Kathy and I LOVE to read! I cannot imagine a day without an open book, I read while eating breakfast, lunch, while I'm eating my bedtime snack and anytime I find a few minutes in between. I like most kinds of books but my favorites are fiction. I like James Patterson, Clive Cussler, Brad Thor, James Rollins (to name just a few), but my FAVORITE author is Diana Gabaldon. I am currently rereading her Outlander series (for the 3rd time ;)), which is a real commitment as there are 8 books, each with 800-1000 pages. It'll take me about 2.5 months and I'll enjoy every word. ;)

I'm pleased to be a member of this group. ;)

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela (asaciuk) | 4 comments Hi, I'm Angela. This group looked really intriguing - especially since everyone who has posted so far has eclectic tastes like myself! I read almost everything, but my first love is a good high fantasy. I'm currently working my way through Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series in preparation for the publication of the final book in this behemoth of a series. That being said, the last book I finished was the most recent J.D.Robb paperback "Celebrity in Death" - always a good read for a lazy day. I've read most of the authors listed above and have favorites with some of them too. I'm pretty well up for any book that's well written. :)

message 7: by C-Cose, OT Aficionado (new)

Greetings Kathy and Angela :)

Kathy, I have to admit that I've heard of some of your authors, but have yet to pick up any of their work--that I can remember. Do you have a suggestion for an introduction to them?

Angela, regarding your love of "good high fantasy", how would you rate Mercedes Lackey, Anne McCaffrey or Margaret Weis & Tracey Hickman? I've read some Robert Jordan but that was some years ago.

I have four brand spanking new books to work through over the next week or two, but I'm more than happy to add another to the list so that we can open discussion(s) on it :)

message 8: by Angela (new)

Angela (asaciuk) | 4 comments Read them all. Some of the earlier works fall along those lines, but they tend to be more serial in nature, and get repetitive. Enjoyed some of the early stuff by Weis & Hickman "Darksword Trilogy" and something Rose trilogy in particular. Currently planning to reread McCaffrey - the first Pern book is currently sitting on my Kobo waiting to be re-read. I've been trying to locate Lackey's earlier books without buying them all because there are so many. I really liked her first 4 collections of Valdemar books. Actually, her books were the first where I encountered gay and lesbian characters in a positive light, and were an enlightening moment for me.

message 9: by C-Cose, OT Aficionado (new)

Angela wrote: "Read them all. Some of the earlier works fall along those lines, but they tend to be more serial in nature, and get repetitive. Enjoyed some of the early stuff by Weis & Hickman "Darksword Trilogy"..."

Greetings Angela :)

Please let us know when you've sunk your teeth back into the world of Pern!!! As for Valdemar ... *sigh* ... love, ~love~, LOVE!!! For some time after reading the Magic's Pawn trilogy I actually used "shaych" as a password ..... TOTAL geek :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone. I'm Danny. Love to read, but tend to read slowly. So to remedy that I read a few books at the same time and just sort of rotate through them. I have one on my nightstand, before going to bed, and a couple in my iPad that I flip back and forth. My partner will read a book in day if he has the chance. Nice to be able to that. It can take me yrs to get through a book, which is odd I realize:-)
Thanks for starting this group, C-Cose, I look forward to it developing.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I pretty well stick with the horror/suspense genre. Our neighbourhood did start a book club that has been very popular. It has allowed me to force myself to read other books that I otherwise would not select on my own.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen (Ceiteag) | 1 comments Hello, all. I am Karen. I'm an e-friend of C-Cose's and happy to be here. I love to read and I'm usually in the middle of 2 or more books at a time. I prefer historical fiction (Gabaldon's Outlander series) science fiction and non-fiction. For horror I read mostly Stephen King. This summer I picked up a Clive Cussler book, Shock Wave because the main character's name was so deliciously awful (Dirk Pitt) and it was such a fun read, I read The Mediterranean Caper as well.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 23, 2012 05:36AM) (new)

Greetings from a chilly corner of New England!

My name is Shannon; C-Cose just invited me to join this group. I only wish I'd been the 13th person to join instead of the 12th. (I was born on Friday the 13th! My parents made a valiant attempt to convince me that 13 is the luckiest of numbers.) Ah, well, ... I'll try to push past the pain of being number 12. ;)

Reading ...? I've always loved to read, with one notorious exception. I refused to read when in middle school. I declared, quite definitively, that I hated books and would never read again. I think I almost made my mother's brain explode.

But, prior to middle school, I loved reading. I had multiple copies of Cinderella, including one with moving parts. Cinderella was my favorite fairy tale. My all-time favorite book as a little girl was Jennifer's Walk by Anne Carrière. As I grew older, I plowed through all things Laura Ingalls Wilder. At the end of my 8th grade year, my grandmother, likely in collusion with my mother, picked up an ancient copy of Gone With the Wind at a yard sale. She gave it to me and said, "I don't know if you'll like it or not. There are some, well, racy parts. Maybe I shouldn't give it to you."

?

I took it and read it in one weekend. It was my first adult novel. I've been reading ever since. I'm an English teacher, so I read a lot of YA books. Some are good and some are .... You'll also catch me reading professional books from time to time. Personally, though, I absolutely love historical fiction. My favorite author of that genre is Sharon Kay Penman. Gabaldon? Fiction/time travel/historical fiction .... I think I've read Outlander eight times. Interestingly, I can't seem to make myself read the other books. You see, I know bad things are going to happen. Very bad things .... I just can't stand the thought. Silly, I know. I just can't bring myself to read about ... I'll leave it there. Spoiler alert! I like popular fiction, sometimes. Mysteries? Yes. Elizabeth George used to be one of my favorites. I like Louise Penny. Hillerman. Perry. Victoria Thompson. Margaret Maron. James Rollins, mystery/thriller-ish. I'm not a big fantasy or sci-fi person. The closest I've gotten to fantasy would be Kate Mosse, who is really more historical fiction. And, what was that book? Drawing a complete blank. About the couple who fell in love, sort of, and had a child, but...! The woman fell under the evil eye and was bitten by a vampire or something.... Was the author's first name Katherine ...? Koslov? No. That's not coming up on the GR "add book/author" .... Oh, I also read A Discovery of Witches. But, in general, fantasy and sci-fi aren't my picks. Oh! I also like straight history.

I'm excited to be a member of this club and look forward to getting to know all of you. S

message 14: by C-Cose, OT Aficionado (new)

Well hello Danny, Karen and Shannon :)

Nice to have you here indeed!!!

As you can see, this group is quite small so feel free to invite anyone that you think would fit. OH .... I don't know if I've mentioned it previously, but I'm a horrid punner so you might want to warn anyone you invite in advance ... lol :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmm.... Or, ... am I the 11th member? Personal confession. Math is not my forte. I was born on a Friday the 13th, though! I know that for sure. ;)

message 16: by C-Cose, OT Aficionado (new)

Shannon wrote: "Hmmm.... Or, ... am I the 11th member? Personal confession. Math is not my forte. I was born on a Friday the 13th, though! I know that for sure. ;)"

Not including miself, you are the 11th new member :) Luckily math ~is~ on of my fortes ... lol :) Otherwise my hubby would never know how old is he ;)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

C-Cose wrote: "Otherwise my hubby would never know how old is he ;) "

Oh.... And, .... Does he appreciate it when you do the math and help him come up with that number? ;) Ha, ha ....

(As an aside and based on something from another thread, I just turned on the TV. It happened to be on H2, History Channel. Stonehenge. A special on .... It defies logic. Perhaps I should read a book on Stonehenge or something ...)