City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) City of Fallen Angels discussion

Do you think a Shadowhunter would have a good chance at winning the hunger games? & What's up with book character's not going to school?

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makayla (new)

Makayla Yeah, a shadowhunter would have a good chance at winning a hg, if they have a stele.

Also, Shadowhunters don't go to school TMI, Victor's don't go to school THG, Wizards don't go to Normal school HP.

message 2: by Avani (last edited Sep 04, 2012 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Avani I think Shadowhunters would definitely have an advantage, what with their runes.

Hmm...I guess they're just too intellectually gifted to need to attend school! Actually, I'm assuming Muggle-born wizards all do attend school prior to attending Hogwarts, like Harry. Not sure about purebloods and halfbloods though.

Alexandra Shadowhunters would totally win, even without a stele. They have angel blood which makes them faster and stronger than mundanes.

I have to disagree about your examples for the second question though. Shadowhunters don't go to school because they are tutored in everything they need to know with their lifestyle at Institutes or in Idris (where there actually are Shadowhunter schools). Victors are provided for by the capitol...and all (but district twelve) have been trained in/performing their profession since they were kids, so they don't really need school either. HP kids don't need normal school...so they don't have it. They have school for what they need (which is still school, just not ours.)
I don't really think that those examples were great ones of book's characters not going to school (becasue they either do or just don't need it), and though I can't think of a good example at the moment, I know what you mean - and it is weird when characters don't go to school for seemingly no reason.

((Savanha)) I dint think they would win the hunger games because they are trained to fight demons not humans... But who knows plus i dont think they would be a stele

Katrina People are saying that shadowhunters probably wouldnt win a Hunger Games, but I think people are overlooking one very important skill they have...runes. 'nough said.

Also, they are tutored at the institute their whole life, so it's more like they are homeschooled instead of attending school.

Julianna Clary dropped out of high school to train at the Institute but Simon still goes to school to keep his life as normal as possible

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

they would so kick butt. even without runes. they are fit, agile and aggressive. do you remember how they killed that demon in the pandemonium club? so cool :)

Peeves Savanha wrote: "I dint think they would win the hunger games because they are trained to fight demons not humans... But who knows plus i dont think they would be a stele"

Agree! i don't think even Jace "The best shadowhunter alive.." has it in him to kill humans. So nope, probably won't win the Hunger Games. Katniss still beats them all.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Peeves wrote: "Savanha wrote: "I dint think they would win the hunger games because they are trained to fight demons not humans... But who knows plus i dont think they would be a stele"

Agree! i don't think even..."

jace kills all those creepy cult followers that are trying to kill Simon. they may be scary humans, but they are still humans

Julianna Many shadowhunters carry a great distaste for mundanes. Besides, like what Peeta said (to paraphrase) he'll kill, just like everyone else. Afterall, it's a fight for survival and obviously you'll put yourself before anyone else.

I read a Maximum Ride/Hunger Games/Mortal Instruments fanfiction crossover once, where the Flock and everyone from TMI was in the HG.

message 11: by Daphne (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daphne The Shadowhunters, obviously, are educated separately to learn about different things like Mythology and Shadowhunter things as well as getting a regular education. Clary drops out of school because she chooses to become a Shadowhunter and learn what they do, and school is way too time-consuming.

If your main reason of existing is to kill demons that threaten the lives of others, would you take the time to go to mundane school?

Emily I'm pretty sure if your good enough to:
A)fight demons,
B)defeat Valentine
C)get the girl/guy of your dreams
(All while having great hair)
you can kick some teenager ass without breaking a sweat.

message 13: by akifah (last edited Sep 30, 2012 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

akifah Emily wrote: "I'm pretty sure if your good enough to:
A)fight demons,
B)defeat Valentine
you can kick some teenager ass without breaking a sweat."

:))
lololololol

Oakleigh Aguirre i think they would, but only cause they have their rune things. if the other kids that weren't shadowhunters had some sort of advantage, then it would be pretty even.

Janese Jackson There were several times that the Shadowhunters were surprised & had to fight without taking time to draw on runes other than the permanent ones they already had. I think with their fighting & weapons skills, they'd so very well in The Hunger Games. Imagine Izzy with a whip taking out career tributes without even breaking a sweat.

Amanda OHHH YAA THEY WILL!!!!!! ESPECIALLY JACE!!!!!!!!!!

Bianca HECK YEAH!!!! They would shut the Hunger Games down!!!

message 18: by Jettcatt (last edited Oct 19, 2012 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jettcatt Not only would they win but the institute would come in and take over the capitol and da,da problem solved.

Oh and Magnus would make the perfect match with Cinna.

Ilana i think that SH's would definitely have an edge. even if they didn't have a stele (cause i can't imaging that it's something that they could hide), they could put runes on their skin prior to 'the reaping' just in case they were picked or volunteered so that they had vision and protection and all of the other helpful ones.

as for school - they did learn at the institute - remember the nods to it with all the under 18s?

Mia Ozera I really don't know about the Hunger Games, but I think they have a better chance than most of the people.
However, about the school, I think they get some kind of home education.

message 21: by Velveteen (new) - added it

Velveteen Rabbit yes...^u^

PostCardashian Kim a shadow hunter would be awesome at the hunger games. jace or will would win it for sure!

Michelle of course i mean they kill demons for a living so killing a few "mundanes" would be a piece of cake for them. i would toally go for Jace!!!!

Lauren Stoolfire To the first question in a word: Yes.

Second, I have to disagree about the school comment. Although Shadowhunters do not attend school in the traditional sense, you can't forget that they are trained and tutored in pretty much everything that may be useful to their careers/lives; the Shadowhunters we've met clearly aren't dummies.

Lauren Yes i think that shadow hunters would definatly kick butt in the hunger games. and sometimes they go to school in books but most of the time they dont cause they are busy doing other things like saving the world, or running away from monsters

Sarah Elizabeth: DUH!! And they just don't because they learn everything through their training.

I agree

message 28: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Shadowhunters have a great chance at winning the HG.

And actually book characters do go to school sometimes, examples are Twilight, hunger games, maximum ride(at a point in the series), and many others.

Temple Rose I think all shadow hunters have a good chance of winning the Hunger Games.

Summer Jace would kick ass!! :D

Mariana Yeah shadowhunters would win the hunger games. If they can kill demons easily then a few humans would be a piece of cake.

Elisabetta I think Shadowhunters would have a great chance at winning The Hunger Games. Shadowhunters are trained for combat and with the angel blood coursing through their veins they have increased physical abilities. In The Hunger Games a Shadowhunter would most likely be a "Career Tribute". As for why don't they go to school it is stated in the books. Shadowhunters aren't like "normal human beings" they are different they were basically created to fight demons and that is what their life revolves around learning how to fight demons. Though they are also tutored in their history, because they do not need to know "mundane" history only their own because that is what is useful to them. Okay well this post is getting quite long but those are my opinions. :)

Shweta akifah wrote: "Emily wrote: "I'm pretty sure if your good enough to:
A)fight demons,
B)defeat Valentine
you can kick some teenager ass without bre..."

yep so true.

Margarita HG is a cheap rip-off of Battle Royale.

Amanda Shweta wrote: "akifah wrote: "Emily wrote: "I'm pretty sure if your good enough to:
A)fight demons,
B)defeat Valentine
you can kick some teenager ..."

LOLOLOL! SO. So very true! lol!
Of course a shadowhunter could definitively win the Hunger Games! They'd win it like 99.9% of the time!

Stéphanie shadowhunters do go to school in idris! don't you remember when they were talking about how the circle started? it started when they were in school.