September 2012: Book for the Month discussion

The Light Between Oceans
This topic is about The Light Between Oceans
So Far?

Comments (showing 1-36 of 36) (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted | 7 comments I see some have started reading already but I have not. I had a tree fall and have been working to take care of it. So maybe a little motivation will help force me to find time to start. Would love to hear what everyone thinks so far.

Brooke (Storybrooke7) | 15 comments Mod
I'm the one who orchestrated this whole thing and I haven't even started or have a copy of the book yet so don't feel bad!

Markie I'm 45% done and I'm loving it!!! It's a great read!!!

Kristina (Spaz_Girl) I am buried under a lot of work and a super tight deadline, so I haven't started it either. Deadline is tomorrow morning though, so another sleepless night of working and I'll be able to read tomorrow.

Lori | 11 comments I don't have a copy yet. It looks interested and can't wait to start it.

Carrie | 4 comments Ive finished it and I thought it was very good. Cant wait to discuss!

Andrea Corley I started it a few nights ago and with homework and football/cheerleading practice I only get a short opportunity to read each evening until the weekend. I found the intro to be interesting, however, I had quite a bit of difficulty getting through the beginning pages of the first chapter. I've now gotten about halfway through the second chapter and it is definitely starting to lighten up and become easier to read and intriguing as the characters are coming to light. This is not the type of book that I would typically read, so I anticipated a little hardship, but I almost always seem to have difficulty in getting my focus at the beginning, so it is now becoming clearer and I'm moving along more briskly!

Chrissy Katcher | 3 comments I finished the book. Eh' I never related or found any compassion for Izzy.
The book was. Kind of boring for me.

Silvia | 2 comments I am at part two and the book is a little slow so far ... Hoping for a little more of a sad story

Markie I just finished the book!!! I loved it!!! Looking forward for the discussion to start!!!

Carrie | 4 comments I also liked it! ^Chrissy..didnt have much compassion for Izzy eithet.

message 12: by Martha (last edited Sep 10, 2012 09:02AM) (new)

Martha (goodreadscomMartha) | 5 comments I'm about half way through - find it interesting. 3 miscarriages on a light house island (with your husband as your only attendant) would make me slightly "unhinged", too. Can't wait to see what happens in the end.

message 13: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 11 comments I received the book and just started reading it.

Andrea Corley I am about 42% of the way through and the book is definitely starting to take an interesting turn! I can't help but feel like an I Told You So! sense!

message 15: by Andrea (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea Corley Martha wrote: "I'm about half way through - find it interesting. 3 miscarriages on a light house island (with your husband as your only attendant) would make me slightly "unhinged", too. Can't wait to see what happens in the end. "

I know I went through one miscarriage on land with doctors and I wondered if I was going to go mad! I can't help but wonder with Izzy as I am sure she did, "WHY!?!?!" I know that she goes into early Menopause, so is that the reason?

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha (goodreadscomMartha) | 5 comments I finished it yesterday. No doctors, no nurses or midwives,no phones and no visitors.... a few times a year.. just a lonely island. I knew something awful was going to happen, but I can't blame Isabel for "trying".

Andrea Corley Oh I just can't wait to find out what happened! HAHA I am at work ready to start sneaking a page here and there!! I can't take the anticipation!

Andrea Corley I think my qualm with her is she just seems so "young" (as I'd like to put it, not immature but young) throughout the book and her decisions. Who knows what one would do until you are placed in that exact situation. It sure is a good read though!

message 19: by Ted (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ted | 7 comments I am finding the timeline a bit unbelievable. Unless of course I missed something. Too many story lines in this book so it is making it difficult to keep track. If I understand this correctly, she married him and was 20. Instantly moved to the island with him and suffered 3 miscarriages over just under 3 years and then the baby is found before the 3 years are up. So then she's about 23 and going through menopause.

Andrea Corley Wow! I LOVED IT!!!!!! Fantastic read that I otherwise wouldn't have picked up to read on my own, so THANK YOU!!

message 21: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 11 comments I loved it! Looking forward to the book discussion. What is the Eastern standard time?

Andrea Corley Do we have a discussion scheduled yet? I just don't want to miss anything. When will we know what October's book is, so that I can prepare to get it! My library doesn't seem to carry a whole lot in lieu of what most book clubs choose so I have to look all around to try to find it!

The book discussion is happening all day on September 30th. And it's basically just when you can find time to get on goodreads that day and answers people's questions and writing your own opinions/reviews of the book.

On Saturday evening of September 29th I will open two or three more discussion topics so they are ready to go on sunday. There will probably be a:

1. Reviews/opinions board
2. Book questions board:
3. Favorite moments/quotes board

Anyone is welcome to add a topic to the board on that Sunday too!!

October book options will be available THIS Sunday (23rd) and I will probably post the options three times during that week (sept 23-30th). Then the book that comes out the most popular will be revealed on the 30th of September!!! Hopefully everyone will be able to get the book selected without any problems!

Andrea Corley Sounds great!

message 26: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 11 comments Thank you Brooke!

message 27: by Jane (last edited Sep 22, 2012 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane (Jane037) | 8 comments Just started this today. Intriguing so far. I like where the author write how the cemetery's started to lie ... referring to no headstones for soldiers who died and their remains were never sent home..thus no headstone in the local cemetery.

Melissa DeHart | 3 comments I'm ready for the book discussion. I finished it several weeks ago.

Andrea Corley I liked the fact that even though the story took place in the 1920's that the dialect was modern! I have a hard time reading real historical dialect!

Melissa DeHart | 3 comments Andrea wrote: "I liked the fact that even though the story took place in the 1920's that the dialect was modern! I have a hard time reading real historical dialect!"

Me too, that is why I have a problem reading "the classics".

message 31: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane (Jane037) | 8 comments This book is so very well written...and it is just full of memorable phrases. Today's favorite "Likeness lies in wait"

message 32: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 11 comments Sorry, I haven't seen anything posted to vote on the October pick. where would i see it?

Lori- I posted it last Saturday on "the open book club" site. I plan to post again today and then again on this Saturday. I will then post the book that came out the most popular on sunday September 30th which will be OCTOBER'S book.

I will also make another goodreads group for that book of the month!

message 34: by Lori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori | 11 comments Brain freeze.....stupid me, what is the link for "the open book club" site?

message 36: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane (Jane037) | 8 comments Today's Gem: "Came as soon as I could. Hilda says hello," he said, "and Blue," emptying his pockets of greetings like small change.