She-Geeks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Reads of the Month: September

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (last edited Sep 07, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

Kay Lotus (ayokayo) | 249 comments Mod
G'day, my ladies.

I meant to start the polls this past week so that we can vote for what we want to read for the month of September. Unluckily, I live in New Orleans and was caught up in Hurricane Isaac so we didn't have power for 5 days (>_<). My family is safe and our lights are up and running now. This also made me realized that having a second moderator would be helpful. This way, we can get some more discussions and activity going on our boards. So, anyone who thinks they can commit to being a moderator, inbox me. The qualifications are, uh well, having an average reading comprehension and being able to write the alphabet from A to Z. I know, I know. I can be very demanding lol. Someone who reads manga is also a plus.

For this month, I decided to go ahead and pick out our reads so that we don't fall behind schedule. The discussion for our last month's read, Locke & Key, has been posted so feel free to jump in! Also, start posting your recommendations for October. I'll start the polls on September 24th. I have ebook versions of Saga and Fistful of Reefer. Let me know if you want a copy. Here are our reads of this month:

Saga, Volume 1 written by Brian K. Vaughan, art by Fiona Staples

"Saga is an epic space opera/fantasy comic book series created by writer Brian K. Vaughan and artist Fiona Staples, and published monthly by Image Comics. The series, which is heavily influenced by Star Wars, and based on ideas Vaughan conceived both as a child and as a parent, depicts two lovers from long-warring extraterrestrial races, Alana and Marko, who struggle to survive amid a galactic war with their newborn daughter, Hazel, who occasionally narrates the series. The book, which was described in solicitations as "Star Wars meets A Game of Thrones", and by critics as being evocative of both science fiction and fantasy epics like The Lord of the Rings and classic works like Romeo & Juliet,[1][2][3] is Vaughan's first creator-owned work to be published through Image Comics, and represents the first time he employs third-person narration in his comics writing. The series' first issue was published March 14, 2012 to positive reviews and a sold-out first printing." - Wikipedia

Fistful of Reefer by David Mark Brown

"Fistful of Reefer is a dieselpunk, weird Western pulp featuring goats, guns and the camaraderie of outcasts. Set along the Texas border during the waining years of the Mexican revolution, Fistful focuses on a group of unlikely heros and their unlikely foe as they stumble upon the fringes of a cabal bent on world domination. Fistful lives between No country for Old Men and the Three Amigos. David Mark Brown's debut novel is the first in the Reeferpunk series -- a spaghetti-Western, refried alternate history that explores the ramifications of an industrial revolution sans cheap oil."

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 by James Patterson

"Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it’s like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the “flock”—Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel—are just like ordinary kids—only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time... like when Angel, the youngest member of the flock, is kidnapped and taken back to the “School” where she and the others were experimented on by a crew of wack jobs.

Her friends brave a journey to blazing hot Death Valley, CA, to save Angel, but soon enough, they find themselves in yet another nightmare—this one involving fighting off the half-human, half-wolf “Erasers” in New York City. Whether in the treetops of Central Park or in the bowels of the Manhattan subway system, Max and her adopted family take the ride of their lives. Along the way Max discovers from her old friend and father-figure Jeb—now her betrayed and greatest enemy—that her purpose is save the world—but can she?"

message 2: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (Speling_Expirt) | 307 comments Mod
Hey Kay,
I could really do with an e-copy. I think I've got Maximum Ride somewhere but don't have the others.
Cheers!

message 3: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Stefani wrote: "Hey Kay,
I could really do with an e-copy. I think I've got Maximum Ride somewhere but don't have the others.
Cheers!"

Sure thing, hun. Message me your email address.

message 4: by Jeridel (new)

Jeridel Banks | 2 comments Maximum Ride held a big megaphone in the manga community when it first came out because Tokyopop advertised it in its lackluster Original English Language (OEL) genre for manga. Maybe one day, I'll read that one. Hopefully, he won't be a disappointment like some other writers who branched into the manga world (i.e. writer of X-Men Misfits).

Anyways, can I request the Saga and Fistful of Reefer e-copies? They sound interesting!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 13 comments Hello I am new to the group, but would love a copy of Saga and Fistful of Reefer to read with the group. I already have Maximum Ride. Thanks and this group looks like it's going to be loads of fun!

message 6: by Subiechikwrx (new)

Subiechikwrx | 4 comments u can give out books u own digitally???? excuse me my ignorance, for I am new to the e-reader concept. I still prefer the weight and smell of the paper but have dloaded many books that r avail digitally only or were a free or slashed deal.

message 7: by Subiechikwrx (new)

Subiechikwrx | 4 comments I wld live to read the books u mentioned u cld give or lend, however that works lol

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (zazoomagoo) | 2 comments Can't find Fistful! Anyone?

message 9: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe (phoebekitanidis) @Shonda, you can't just give out ebooks you own but you can lend them in some circumstances. Kindle allows you to loan ebooks but you can't loan them to tons of people at once (any more than you could loan a paper book to many people at once). Hope that helped.

Fistful of Reefer looks intriguing. (Okay, I just like anything that's about outcast camaraderie. There was a FABULOUS panel on alt families in comics, at the first Geek Girl Con.)

message 10: by Marnee (new)

Marnee (starsandchocolate) | 16 comments The Saga Volume 1 was free on my iPad ComiXology app, so that was a plus, but I LOVE the art and the story, thanks for recommending this terrific new series!!

message 11: by Kay Lotus, Red Queen (new)

Marnee wrote: "The Saga Volume 1 was free on my iPad ComiXology app, so that was a plus, but I LOVE the art and the story, thanks for recommending this terrific new series!!"

Ahhh yes, Image is giving away the first digital issue of twenty of their series for free. I'm about to post the URL so you guys can browse the selections. And you're very welcome, hun =]

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments I dont have an e-book reader, is there any other way i could get a hold of the readings?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.