We're the Kids of America discussion

News > School Expels Girls for being Lesbian

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi isn't the whole point of sending people to church run schools so that they learn to follow God's laws about some of these things? I don't think the girls are doing the right thing, but that the church expelled them for it is worse in my opinion. aren't Churches supposed to take in and teach and hopefully change people like that? how can they expect to help or change people if they cannot except people despite their sins? isn't that forgiveness the whole point of the church?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You can't "teach" someone not to be gay, but I'll let that go.

I'm mixed on this issue. On one hand, I think it's terrible that anyone would be kicked out of school because of their sexuality. But at the same time, it is a religious Christian school. So are they allowed to kick out who they feel like?

message 3: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (court617) Okay..its a religious school. Is it a private school? Because if it is, then I don't believe these girls have much of a case.

message 4: by Eric▲ (new)

Eric▲ | 84 comments you can't teach them. they have to choose

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments -u shouldn't teach them, they can b who they want 2 b
-on the other hand, this is a religious school, and catholism might have something against lesbianism
-this is random, but something that stuck out 2 me was that the girls were considered lesbian just bcuz they hugged and kissed....me + my friends do it and we're straight.....

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah. if they kissed on the lips, or something like that, then I would probably think they were...you know.

message 7: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments do u have something against gayness/lesbianism? jw cuz u didn't say the word...

message 8: by Sella (new)

Sella Malin I think it's horrible that they were kicked out of school because their supposed sexual orientation. I can't believe even a principle would be so prejudiced and close-minded! Yes, I understand that it's a religious school, and they're all like "omg God says that bisexual people are bad. OH NO!!!" But still. It's terrible!

And the girls might not even have been lesbian. I mean, come ON! My friends and I say we love each other all the time, as friends! We hug and kiss all the time. People, it's a friend thing!!

And I'm sick and tired of everyone who thinks that bisexual people can be "taught" to be straight, or that their sexual orientation can be changed. Seriously, how ignorant and naive can you get?!? Are people really that stupid?!?

message 9: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i agree with ur 2nd and 3rd paragraph, however, as i said, it is a religious school, so i c how the principal might suspend some1 who disobeyed a religious law.

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments *nod* but...idk...i get how they wouldn't want them in a religious school....

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

The Declration of Independence lists "The Pursuit of Happiness" as one of the three inalienable rights of every citizen of the United States of America. And thusly, Gay and lesbian couples should be allowed the same rights as "straight" couples. I mean, even if you don't want to let them marry legaly, and don't get me wrong I think they should be allowed to, because it is a religous thing, then the court system should come up with an equivelant alternative for them to have instead.

message 12: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments I think they should have another form of commitment together that is basically the equivalent of marriage, but not marriage. Because, technically, marriage is a religious thing.

message 13: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah, it really is....

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Right, Vivian, that's what I am trying to say. People say that marrige is: "The religous bond between a man and a woman." I don't like to get involved in arguments about religon, so I think that there should be a lawful equivelant for gay andlesbian couples.

message 15: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments exactly.

message 16: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments Marriage isn't about religion.... Atheists get married too

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 23, 2009 06:42AM) (new)

the ministers at my church won't do any weddings until gay and lesbian couples can marry. the way they see it is that everyone is equal, so they should be allowed to marry equally, same a man and a woman. doesn't god teach that everyone is equal?

message 18: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments Exactly.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I think reading my moms ministry books is paying off. :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Then what is the problem with Gay and Lesbian marriage? If it is a legal problem, then we, as a country, should refer to the Declaration of Independence that says that all citizens are entitled to "The Pursuit of Happiness". That is listed as one of the "Inalienable Rights" of every citizen.

message 21: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
The only people who have problems are the people who could make their argument using religion. Not to say that all religious people do that, but it is not allowed according to the Bible.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Right, so there should be an equivalent then.

message 23: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments yeah

message 24: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Equivalent? To what?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Marriage. Because a lot of people say that Marriage is the religious bond between a man and a woman and I don't think a war over religion is the best thing right now, there should be a legal equivalent to marriage for the Gays and Lesbians.

message 26: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Or...
Marriage, in legal terms, must be stripped of all religions connotations. Then marriage is equal and all-encompassing. If you want a religious marriage, find a church.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. That is another alternative.

message 28: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

:) And make all legal marriages civil unions or something.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure. I just think that The Declaration of Independence is very clear on "The Pursuit of Happiness". Don't you agree?

message 30: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Yes. Because Locke's rights were life, liberty, and property. And they ALL read Locke.

message 31: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments it is

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

What is?

message 33: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

The answer to your question Jordan.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the idea of stripping away religion from marriage, and then letting some people choose a more religious ceremony... I just think that hetero and homosexuals should have the same rights, and a civil union, while I know it's almost the same thing, has always sounded like slightly less to me.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

That seems to be the most logical choice.

message 36: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

But the fundies would never allow it, and unfortunately, they control what we call the South. The entire friggen South is dominated by religious idiots who can't see past their Bibles to the real wold and how it's changing and leaving them behind. (not a generalization or stereotype, but it's mostly true)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree that a lot of people won't look past their Bibles, but it is unfair that it is only in the South. There are a lot of people in the North that do the same thing.

message 38: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

The South is more so, you must admit.

message 39: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (zoebabii328) | 43 comments Welllll it IS bad to stereotype BUT, that's basically where the KKK originated. And that's where the Confederacy was. And honestly, isn't that where all these problems happen most of the time?

message 40: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (zoebabii328) | 43 comments Erin [you don't know me at all ♥:] wrote: "I like the idea of stripping away religion from marriage, and then letting some people choose a more religious ceremony... I just think that hetero and homosexuals should have the same rights, and ..."

I have thought a long time about this and yes, I definitely agree with you. The problem is in the religiouness of marriage and I think all should be allowed to marry.
But honestly, I try to respect people of religion, and if they don't believe in gay marriage, that church won't do it.
If another church accepts it, it shouldn't matter to those others that denied them. It shouldn't be in the government to ban it or allow it in all churches.

Yeah! I hate the term civil union. It doesn't sound the same. It doesn't fit the dreams some of the homosexuals could have had and always would want.

message 41: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Marriage in the sense of holy matrimony is one of the 7 sacraments, it's purely religious. It never should have gotten political in the first place.

message 42: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments i agree, actually a lot of things shouldn't have gotten political, but r anyway.

message 43: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

hmmm. Like what?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Slavery. Abortion. War.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

[in the religious sense:]

message 46: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

In same places, religion is politics.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that it should be up to the church/priest/rabbi/whoever. Gay marriage should be legal. If a certain priest is really close-minded and doesn't want to marry two men, then fine, s/he doesn't have to. But they should be allowed to find a church who will marry them without any consequences. At a church I went two when I was little, they got rid of a priest because he was marrying gay couples. That's just wrong.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. People should be allowed to marry whomever they want. Besides, if Gay marriage should bee illegal, then what comes next? People can't marry outside of their religion? Then comes Race restrictions and then we go all the way back to, you can't marry outside of your "Clan".

message 49: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Which is the ultimate segregation.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

In some states its still illegal to marry outside of your race.

[what they really mean is that its illegal for white and black people to marry; they don't really care about other races:]

« previous 1