Military Science Fiction discussion

Raj Whitehall Series - David Drake & S.M. Stirling

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin | 76 comments I finished "Warlord" this weekend. I really liked it.

"Warlord" is an omnibus edition of the first two volumes of the Raj Whitehall series.

I have heard others say that the Raj Whitehall series is almost like a first draft of the Belisarius series; there are definitely some similarities.

The story takes place on a human-colonized world, at some point in the future. Over a thousand years prior to the story, civilization collapsed, and by the time of the story the inhabitants have made their way back to approximately a 19th-Century level of technology.

Raj Whitehall, a junior military officer, finds a still-functioning, ancient sentient computer, which has plans to reunite the separate factions of the world, and then to unite the other colonized worlds. The AI "adopts" Whitehall and uses him to carry out the AI's plan. In this aspect, the story is very similar to the Belisarius series.

Because of the level of technology involved, the military action is very different from most military SF, but it is still very well done.

I am definitely going to continue reading this series.

message 2: by Colin (last edited May 28, 2011 12:51PM) (new)

Colin | 76 comments I just finished Conqueror , by David Drake and S.M. Stirling, an omnibus edition of the third, fourth, and fifth installments of the Raj Whitehall series.

It was absolutely awesome.

Again, there were some similarities with Drake's Belisarius series, but what I found more striking was the similarities between this book and the story of the real Belisarius. A large portion of the book was very obviously based on Belisarius' life.

As with Warlord , the level of technology in this book makes it very different from most military SF. With the exception of Center (the super-computer assisting Raj), it almost reads more like alternate history fiction.

I highly recommend this series; I am certainly going to continue reading it (there are three more books in the series, all taking place long after Raj's time).