Chicks On Lit discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > April Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
First 12 nominations or up until Wednesday, whichever comes first.
Make sure it isn't a book we have already read.
Be prepared to lead the discussion (its not that hard or that scary - you can do it!)
Any genre any period anything that's available in print (try to exclude Red Robin Menus since I know them by heart)
You all ROCK!

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Marley and Me - John Grogan

message 6: by Mich (new)

Mich | 150 comments the glory cloak by patricia o'brien

message 7: by Meg (last edited Feb 03, 2009 01:28PM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy by Carlos Eire.

This is a memoir of a boy born into money in Cuba. Everything is going well, life is wonderful until Batista is no longer in power and Castro takes over. Christmas is cancelled. Friends disappear. Children are being airlifted, without their parents.

message 8: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Those who save us by Jenna Blum

For fifty years, Anna Schlemmer has refused to talk about her life in Germany during World War II. Her daughter, Trudy, was only three when she and her mother were liberated by an American soldier and went to live with him in Minnesota. Trudy's sole evidence of the past is an old photograph; a family portrait showing Anna, Trudy, and a Nazi officer, the Obersturmfuumlehrer of Buchenwald. Driven by the guilt of her heritage, Trudy, now a professor of German history, begins investigating the past and finally unearths the dramatic and heartbreaking truth of her mother's life. Combining a passionate, doomed love story, a vivid evocation of life during the war, and a poignant mother/daughter drama, Those Who Save Us is a profound exploration of what we endure to survive and the legacy of shame.

message 9: by Alison (last edited Feb 04, 2009 01:37PM) (new)

Alison | 20 comments The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter or Special Topics in Calamity Physics. A friend of mine read the second one for a book club of hers and she said it was quite good

message 10: by Karey (last edited Feb 04, 2009 03:27PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 116 comments I can think of a book that I'd like to nominate, but it feels strange to nominate it myself. Then again, maybe it's not the sort of book that would fit in with the group? ...Secret Speakers and the Search for Selador's Gate

message 11: by Christi (new)

Christi | 7 comments Meg wrote: "Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy by Carlos Eire.

This is a memoir of a boy born into money in Cuba. Everything is going well, life is wonderful until Batista is no longer ..."

I'll second this one it sounds very interesting.

message 12: by Christi (new)

Christi | 7 comments crud sorry hit the wrong reply I meant Those who save us by Jenna Blum

message 13: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Chasing Sophea A Novel
It's about an adult woman, Dahlia, coming to terms with a traumatic event that happened in her childhood. Many factors and a cast of complex and interesting characters lead up to that fateful day, and it all has to be unraveled before Dahlia can lead her own life.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.