Q&A with Laurie R. King discussion

The Language of Bees (Mary Russell, #9)
This topic is about The Language of Bees
The significance of bees to the larger story

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laurie | 3 comments I am curious to know what you intended us to understand about the relationship between the bee sickness, etc. in the first book and the overarching events of both books. It seems to me that it must have been significant,but having read the first book twice and the second once, I'm at a loss. Can you enlighten, please?

message 2: by RuthG (new)

RuthG | 2 comments There have been concerns about current bee health for a number of years. Did that in any way affect the stories as you were writing them?

message 3: by Laurie (new) - added it

Laurie (LaurieRKing) | 103 comments Mod
I used the theme of bees as early as The Beekeeper's Apprentice ("the segregation of the queen") but here I was looking at the mysterious ability of bees to communicate. In 1924, beekeepers well knew their charges were conveying information to the rest of the hive, even though they did not yet know it was through a sort of dance. The parallel is in the ways in which human beings, particularly when they're related, can share a sort of bone-deep communication. Matters can be conveyed without the need of words.

message 4: by Laurie (new) - added it

RuthG wrote: "There have been concerns about current bee health for a number of years. Did that in any way affect the stories as you were writing them?"

Certainly I am aware of hive collapse and other bee diseases, but it's more an interest of Holmes than of Laurie King. Although Mary Russell often comments on her Twitter feed, when developments hit the news...

Laurie | 3 comments Laurie wrote: "I used the theme of bees as early as The Beekeeper's Apprentice ("the segregation of the queen") but here I was looking at the mysterious ability of bees to communicate. In 1924, beekeepers well k..."

Thank you for that...now I should probably read "The Language of Bees" a third time! I am at last reading "Pirate King", one brief chapter at a time. Life has taken an unexpected turn for me this year, and we are raising our granddaughter (20 months old). "Garment of Shadows" arrived last week, and sits on the sideboard, taunting me.

Laurie wrote: "RuthG wrote: "There have been concerns about current bee health for a number of years. Did that in any way affect the stories as you were writing them?"

Certainly I am aware of hive collapse and ..."

message 6: by Laurie (new) - added it

I wish you strength, and time to read!