SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Reads Discussions 2009 > The Road -- Diverse opinions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments I love the discussion so far I know we don't all agree and that is part of why it is such a great discussion. For those that loved the book - I'm really glad that you did. Any book that brings something to you I say - thumbs up to that.

I'm looking forward to hearing from others and we are kicking the butt out of the Watchman thread ;-)

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments I just want to say as moderator of this discussion - that I've really enjoyed all the various opinions, theorys and musing on this book. I knew it would not disappoint it is nothing if not a "conversation starter". Just wanted to thank everyone for all their comments.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 232 comments Very interesting conversations! I'm glad to finally have some people to chat with about this book.

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan (djunger) Robin, thanks for moderating and coming up with interesting questions, especially about a book you didn't like!

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments Well I'm getting more "appreciation" for this book after hearing people's comments. It will never be one of my favorites but I think some of the best discussions come when not everyone is in 100% agreement.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb | 4 comments I find it fascinating how polarized the views of this novel have been -- readers seem to love it or hate it, and as Robin mentions, this has made for an especially interesting discussion.

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke It's interesting how people respond to books like this. I did not like it very much. But I didn't hate it - my dislike of it came from thinking it was decent enough, but didn't live up to the hype. I went into it expecting something grand, and instead came away saying, "Eh? That was it?"

When I originally read it, I gave it 2 stars based on that feeling. If I'd read it without hearing the hype, I may very well have given it 3 stars (a solid and enjoyable book on my scale) instead. Hard to tell, since I can't separate my reaction to the book from the reaction to the hype.

message 8: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 883 comments Well stated, Brooke...

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 37 comments Well put me down in the "hate" category. Really wish I had not read this book.

message 10: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) Maybe we need a poll?

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane (jane_jones) | 37 comments Good idea ... Here is one.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/95...