Gather Yourselves Together discussion

January > So, what did you think?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 194 comments Mod
What are everyone's overall thoughts on the book? Love it, like it, hate it? Why?

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments Some days I love it, some days I hate it. I haven't finished it yet. Right now I am thinking 3 stars. I like it for the most part, but it is confusing at parts, and I am just not that into Sci-fi.
I am glad I have read the book and I find a lot of things interesting.
I think it is an awesome book for book clubs and would highly suggest it for other book clubs. It has excellent topics to discuss and that makes it perfect for book clubs.

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments When should we try to have this book finished by????

message 4: by Erich (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:08AM) (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments I would say that everyone just try and finish it as soon as possible, then we can all start on February's book! :) We can always come back here and talk about Snow Crash. The topics will always be open for discussion.

message 5: by Tiffany (last edited Feb 02, 2009 10:59PM) (new)

My overall rating is 4 stars. The end really picked up and was fast paced. But the beginning and middle didn't go fast enough for me.

I love the Sumerian culture being tied into the story and the whole idea of a virus being passed to people through all different means. It was a very intelligent book in my opinion.

And now I have geek cred.

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments I finally finished the book. (only 4 days late) I stuck with my 3 stars because I liked it about 1/2 the time I was reading it. I decided I loved the Y.T, story. I didn't care so much for Hiro's part.

Does it bother anyone else that Hiro is a BIG shot in the Metaverse, and a looser in the real world. Talk about hiding behind a mask.

message 7: by Erich (new)

Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann (erichfranzlinnerguzmann) | 81 comments Hmmm, that is a good observation Becca about Hiro. I know of a lot of people (maybe it's because I'm kind of a geek myself) that have this huge online cult following and when they are online they truly do get treated and looked up to like a god, so even more so then an idol. So it doesn't bother me that he is a big shot only in the Metaverse because I get it, in that it really does happen. He hones in more of his mental genius to his virtual life, which is more beneficial and important to him because of his social status then he does outside of it. It is hard to say what people are going to do when our world’s virtual reality gets as advanced as it is in the book. Some people already spend more of their time in cyberspace then they do outside of it. Not to say that it is a bad thing because some of these people are making huge contributions to mankind in that way. Not in the same way that Hiro did, but it kind of shows you that people do try and make a difference in other means then you basic individual. You should use your talents in the best way possible. Y.T. used her street smarts will Hiro used his gift of the coding language for his.

This is definitely one of my favorite books, which is probably because of that geek in me again, ha. I was able to relate to it on so many levels. I have to say that my favorite parts of the book are the chapters with Hiro and The Librarian. I bet 95% off the readers disagree with me on that though. Wait, wait, wait, my favorite part of the book are the parts with Fido in it! Will I was reading about Fido’s thoughts, I had my 3 wiener dogs piled on top of me and while reading it, I think he did a really good job describing a dogs thoughts. Fido’s thoughts are so pure and innocent; I couldn’t read it without smiling throughout the entire part. My least favorite part of the book is the scenes with Y.T., I feel her character was very important though, but just didn’t entertain me in the same way the others did.

I am definitely going to read more Cyberpunk now… I just hope they can at least compare to Snow Crash!

message 8: by Becca (new)

Becca | 160 comments I did like Fido (which says a lot because I don't like animals) I like his pure innocent way of thinking.

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 155 comments I admit it! I gave up before the end. I'm somewhat ashamed, but I hit a real block about page 250. It wasn't really my type of thing. And I made the mistake of starting another book which I liked better in the middle of it. I new I would never go back to it, so I finally turned it in. On the bright side, I just got the book for February!

message 10: by Nicolle (new)

Nicolle | 49 comments lol I'm with Meredith, I'll finis on a later date. could be next week, could be next year, who knows?

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave Geurts (davegeurts) | 33 comments Hey, I just finished and I know I'm joining the conversations late... Sometimes I'm a really slow reader. I thought the book was okay, it didn't consume me but it was some pretty radical ideas about computers and what life on the internet may be like once we actually have fiber running into all of our homes. I didn't really like all of the religious stuff and found myself wanted to skip pages every time the librarian started talking. At first I just thought the author was hopping on the bandwagon of programs that exist right like Second Life or Sony's new "Home", but I think the book was actually published in the early 90's which made everything that much more enjoyable for me. I think that the thing that ruined the book for me was all the ultra cheesy moments. I can think of one that made me want to close the book, when Hiro asked Juanita if she would be his girl after escaping peril and saving the world and she said something horrendously cheesy back. LoL too many of those moments for me, kind of gave it a Twilight effect.

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave Geurts (davegeurts) | 33 comments Becca that is really interesting about Hiro being somewhat of a loser in real life but a worshipped idol in the internet world. Interesting thing is , this model fits the mold of most computer hacker/nerds and/or internet addicts. For some reason they can socialize and be "fully functional" people on the net... making money, talking with friends, making friends, creating inspiring web sites / games. etc. Such an odd thing about humans, but now that I think about it this almost applies to any type of genius. They are so often social rejects or incapable of forming bonds and communicating with other humans. I have no idea if the author was playing into the hacker stereotype or if it was suppose to make us feel something about Hiro but very good point!!

message 13: by Tiffany (new)

It's true. I think I am much more clever in email, text, IM, or whatever. In fact, I know I am more clever and sound smarter too. I am such an awkward person in real life.

I loved (in a hilarious way) the part where Hiro asks Juanita to be his girl. It was so casual of him. Ha ha.