Gay Science Fiction discussion

The Prince and the Program (The Mordred Saga, #1)
This topic is about The Prince and the Program
Author of the Month Discussions > September Author: Aldous Mercer *SPOILERIFFIC* Thread

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aldous (last edited Sep 03, 2012 01:54PM) (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments I created this thread after a request was made - here's where you come to ask spoilery questions about tP&tP

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Hooray! OK -now I don't feel bad about asking stuff that spans the story.

So... I am puzzled on a couple of points, and perhaps not the ones you would expect.

1. When Mordred first meets Gen-mai, he believes she is a Feast of Souls (and remarks how odd it is that the Inquisition allowed her to work there.) I'm not sure I understand the concept of a Feast of Souls yet but one would think, since Tom's baby is also potentially one, that one needs a soul first? As a cyborg, how can this be for Gen-Mai? (And as I stated before, I probably missed something.)

2. The baby - from a fictional/plot standpoint, it seems out of place for Mordred to have gone to such great and perilous lengths to save the baby (OK - it shows how heroic he truly is and gives us some insight into the Howling) only to have the baby come to such an abrupt, meaningless and somewhat absurd end. My hope is that Tom was simply not himself at the time and didn't realize that the baby had not been eaten. If that is not the case, I'm not sure I follow the necessity of the plot point. (Something that would most likely only bother a English major - sorry about that.)

3. The whole thing on the airship/ spaceship, whatever the heck it was... Lady Moyen's consort was possessed and she didn't know it? Is that the conclusion we should draw?

message 3: by Aldous (last edited Sep 03, 2012 04:20PM) (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments 1. A Feast of Souls is (mega-spoiler) a *body* that souls can come and feast on. Bio-Bait. Having an actual soul "incept"/get-born-into a Feast helps against possession because the soul bonds irrevocably with the biological bit. Tom's baby was a feast, and having a feast *without* a soul standing in the middle of the Howling...yeah. Mordred has balls. Oh and Gen-mai's a Feast because the Japanese did their job a little *too* well (she's modeled after a real person).

2. Tom is not himself. The baby is necessary. Gen-Mai's presence at the inception of the baby is necessary. Gawain's presence at the inception of the baby is necessary. Mordred's *name* as a shield to protect the Feast is necessary. It needed to happen at the exact moment that Gabe sucked newborn souls into computers to protect himself from the G-D, and the Howling wend mad, saying that the space-time continuum was being fucked with and they were being drawn into Hel.

That's all I'm going to say at this point (massive, massive spoilers for Book 2 AND 3 AND 4 otherwise).

3. The Sunless Planes, darlin'. That was Lady Moyen's consort's ship. Yes, he was possessed and she didn't know, because he tried to run away and keep everyone safe from himself (the Ghost-Demon wouldn't let him kill himself). Now Lady Moyen *did* know that her consort was mentally unstable, and into torture and bloodsport. But things like that happen, sometimes, and the Lifestream/Symbiot doesn't actually let a Deathless *harm* another sentient being, and the Deathless believe in healing and long-term peace, not judging any individual for their preferences or compulsions. Which results in a very good market for House Kamigawa's sex-toy cyborgs. No * consciousness*, no soul, but they react *almost* like real people....everything's fine, until you end up getting one with an actual soul in it. And you happen to be possessed, and all the anger/hate you've been trying to keep confined to torturing a lifeless object suddenly gets redirected to torturing a soul. And then an angel with a flaming sword shows up....

Anyways, for keeping the G-D confined as he did, Lady Moyen's consort will actually be treated as a hero. A poor, deranged, crazy hero, but one who did the best he could and saved many lives by letting the G-D ravage *his* insides and not anybody else. Alan's presence on that ship was just pure bad luck. (But, of course, there's a reason for *that* as well).

message 4: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Oh, and here's a delicious piece of trivia that doesn't actually spoil anything (*grin*). .

Mordred will not know who Alan is in Book 2. But he's there, and the cleverer grade of reader will figure it out by page 3. Then spend the rest of the book wanting to hit Mordred over the head with a baseball bat.

Alan's name in Book 3 is Dion. Book 3 is titled Dionysus Rising.

The trilogy was supposed to have been: [Automaton Summoning/Josephus Counting/Dionysus Rising]. But Automaton Summoning was quite possibly the worst title in the world from a marketing perspective, so let's see what happens.

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments 1. Ah - thank you for that. The question arose from a basic misunderstanding of the Feast concept, which now makes better sense.

2. Shutting up about the baby - had the feeling there was more to it since you're so very thorough in your web-weaving. :D

3. Good, good, just wanting to be sure I was following. I'll most likely have to re-read when the next book comes out so I don't lose key pieces of warp and weft.

Dionysus - hooray! My very Favorite Deity! (And yes, Automaton Summoning is bloody awful, but I like the others very much, lol)

message 6: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments I'm thinking of leaving Josephus Counting in there since I like it as well, and I've come up with a non-iterative closed-form formula to solving the Josephus Problem for any number (even or odd) that doesn't seem to be covered in current literature. Mathematical vanity ....*rolls eyes* and the Joesphus/Rome story is very, very apropos in this case.

Book 3: "To Orpheus, with Love"....what do you think?

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Really? Any number? That's rather exciting :) To Orpheus, With Love would be equally intriguing (and another sly nod to pop culture that the Dionysus title lacks...)

I would keep the Josephus title - it's just too good. (Although only the history nut will get it until perhaps later on, lol)

message 8: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Yeah, I think we'll go with that for now. And I am so glad I have another author to chat about this with....you Get It. The text, the subtext, the webs of plot and history.

So if Book 1 was a nod to Snow White, Book 2 is going to be the Descent of Innana (Cynthia as Innana, Mordred as Ereškigal) , and Book 3 is going to be the myth of Orpheus (Dionysus as Eurydice and Mordred as Orpheus).

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Oh! And I will have to give this to my son to read - he's much more tech/program savvy than I am (Mr. Oh Sure I Can Handle Second Semester Biochem and Quantitative Analysis In the Same Semester *grumble*) More importantly, I read him the line from the party (I hear you're half-Faerie? - you know the one) and he gave me more than his usual polite laugh. *g*

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Lovely... lovely... Dionysus does derive from more ancient year/sun cycle gods, so it's quite fitting.

message 11: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments ....he was Alan Turing. Spacetime bends to accommodate his passage

;)

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments And the Innana story - I'll have to look it up. But I seem to recall it being a more adversarial version of the Persephone story. Sister-rivalry/hate, someone ending up spending half the year among the dead - once again we return to the season cycles of sacrifice and rebirth. I'm seeing a pattern...

message 13: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Yup. We keep going around in circles - the size of the is a subjective variable - till we awaken to our true selves.

Book 4 is Ragnarok and the birth of The Singularity.

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Oh, now you really must hurry and get these done, lol. I'm just dying to see what happens (oh, poor choice of words there)

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments I'm being a dreadful fangirl, monopolizing this thread - but I figure I'd better get all my Q's and ponderings in before I have to start traveling again this afternoon. (The gods of wireless are not always kind...)

Curious regarding your chosen source material for the Arthurian legend cycle. Some of it is obviously the more modern Malory/Once and Future King material (Excalibur in all its glory, Morgana/Morgaine as fae rather than human) but some of it is obviously rooted in the historical/speculative (Arthur's half-Roman paternity, e.g.) Was there more of a picking and choosing as you saw fit? (Which, with Arthur, isn't a big stretch.)

I'm hoping we see more of what triggered Mordred's initial rebellion. He obviously loves his father; he obviously regrets. I'm curious as to the motive and the issues of the time that would have pushed him into it. (That he carries such a weight of guilt is never more poignantly obvious as when he destroys Imp, beating his own childhood into shards...)

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments I just remembered that one of Mary Stewart's books from her famous series is The Prince and the Pilgrim. This has to be more than just coincidental.

message 17: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments @Kernos A passing references, yes, and I am somewhat influenced by Mary Stewart - how could I not be? I thought it would be a nice nod. But thematically, more by the Prince and the Pauper.

@Angel

A proper answer to this would require dumping large parts of my backstory database here, so I'm going to summarize. And yes, I will be going much deeper into Mordred's backstory, of course, as the books progress. There's also his time in Japan to cover.

The Arthur-Morgana-Mordred-Guinevere dance is very Malory/Monmouth/Stewart but there's the historical basis AND magical base to consider. I think the huge popularity of the Arthurian tales is because, in part, there is such little verifiable history and so we can make up what we want :)

So I'm taking *my* Arthur as the person referred to as "Riothamus", "King of Britain" by Jordanes. A British/Roman military leader, various details (as known) of his life match specific points of the Arthurian Legend. This gives us a time and a place. Note that I never refer to Mordred's Father as "Arthur" in the book - the King's True Name is something reserved for later. As with Mordred's true name - he has *assumed* the name given to him by the 'histories', as Fionn Mac Cumhaill/Gwyn Ap Nudd (mythological figure; the one with the magical thumb) has assumed the name "Tom Thumb". To have a mage's true name is to have power over them.

Anywho, I'm casting Merlin a.k.a Arvandus as the "bad guy" here. A minor relative of the King on the roman side, and a skirt-chasing blue-level mage educated under the Simonists of Rome (disciples of Simon Magus).

'Arthur' is both a more powerful mage than 'Merlin', and a better warrior-king. Under guise of friendship and magical guidance (as Arthur is NOT trained), Merlin wishes to create (a) a stronger mage than Arthur, and (b) destabilize the throne. Visionary, prophecies, etc., (a) will be provided by Arthur's son, and Merlin sets up the marriage with the very Christian Guinivere to ensure that Arthur never has a magical son, and plays the Visigoths/Gauls/Bretons/Romans one against the other to destabilize Arthur's rule.

But once Mordred is born, all bets are off. I mean, can you imagine trying to *control* that child? He actually grows very close to his 'uncle', who is grooming him for the throne. Mordred gets married very young (yes, he's been married three times, twice to women, once to a man, we'll get to that, *grin*) to a widow at the court and adopts her two sons. Then Arthur gets drawn across the English Channel by a Merlin-manufactured situation, Modred's wife is poisoned, and Mordred is fed lies w.r.t Morgana's rape and his own status as son of Arthur. Actually, it's *Merlin* that raped Morgana, producing Nimue, the Morgana/Arthur issue was consensual, if not wholly informed at the time (maybe Arthur knew, maybe not, guilt, teenage lust etc., which leads him to keep evading the issue when Mordred asks, leading Mordred to think it's rape-guilt). Also Mordred's scrying (that's why he doesn't trust visions and mirror-mages, btw) leads him to interpret his mother's rapist as Arthur and not Merlin. Drama, with no resolution because Arthur "dies" across the sea (more lies), and Mordred marries dear Guinivere, uses the Christian and Roman supporters to establish his claim to the throne. Then Arthur comes back, more drama, Arthur allows Mordred to cut him down, and we launch into the outside-Arthurian-legend part of the story with spaceships and sentient viruses.

And this will be a side-story reserved for a novella, btw, but Mordred's first husband was the Faerie Galega, a son of Titania's. The 1-year-handfast marriage was made to bring peace between the Seelie and Unseelie courts (the Fae-above-the-Earth and the Fae-Underhill) since Mordred is the grandson of The Morrigan. There was affection between the two, and a fuckton of lust, but not a lot of love. During a visit to Earth, Galega, who is an aspiring scientist, gets killed, leading to the Sunless Planes making an appearance on Earth, led by Mordred-the-omg-i-feel-guilty-maybe-i-should-have-loved-him-more.

Nuremberg, 1561 happens.

....and I think that's about what you asked about, yes?

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Lol- yes,yes it is. The melding of cycles was evident but I'm so glad there will be more ;)

message 19: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Um....if anybody finds it interesting, I can list a bunch of references for the actual historical event(s). Might be overkill though.

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments I'm content to know that Tom is Finn macCool :D

message 21: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Angel wrote: "I'm content to know that Tom is Finn macCool :D"

LOL. It all fit so nicely - Tom Thumb is seen in quite a number of Court-of-Arthur myths, Gwyn Ap Nudd and Arthur are linked many times together, and Fionn is the irish version of Gwyn and he burned his thumb on a magical salmon and can tell the future by sucking on it....

Btw, Tom's epithet (during the dark days of war within the Fae) was "The Feast of Crows". He *seems* very harmless....but one does not mess with Fionn MacCool's dark side ;)

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments So one would assume- never fear, any fae follower worth her salt knows not to count one harmless. I don't suppose Cuchullain makes an appearance, too?

message 23: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Mmm...I'm not really going into the Irish side of things beyond tying together the Sangreal/Dagda's Cauldron/Fisher-King/Cup-full-of-Virus-Juice threads briefly.

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Hey, I figured it doesn't hurt to ask, lol.

message 25: by Charming, Order theorist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Angel wrote: "I'm being a dreadful fangirl, monopolizing this thread - but I figure I'd better get all my Q's and ponderings in before I have to start traveling again this afternoon."

Please know that while you are asking the questions, I am following along, riveted. I am kind of tired of King Author, but this take is so cool.

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Oh good..:)

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments OK - I think I've beaten the Arthurian cycle questions to death... Let's move to Alan. The original Turing test had several flaws but Alan knew that. His original intent was to illustrate imitative behavior rather than actual intentionality of thought.

If your Alan were to devise a new AI test, what do you think it would look like?

message 28: by Charming, Order theorist (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Angel wrote: "If your Alan were to devise a new AI test, what do you think it would look like? "

An iMac.

Sorry. I'll shut up now. :-)

message 29: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments I thought it rather obvious Alan was Turing and an AI, esp after reading the prologue (and having just finished Cryptonomicon, coincidentally or perhaps entangled?). The potential relationship between him and Mordred rather reminded me of the 1st homoerotic Sci-Fi I ever read, Chrome

But, I didn't get the Celtic connections other than Mordred's name. I certainly missed Tom as Finn or Nudd which will make a second reading even more fun. The novel requires much closer reading than I gave it. That's a good thing.

I look forward to book 2. How many volumes are planned?

message 30: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Sorry for being so tardy about this folks, it's been a busy week. My phone kept pinging with emails and posts every time I walked into cell-range, but I never stayed there long enough to answer back properly...

Going in reverse order...

@Kernos - ah, but by *Alan's* definition, he is NOT an AI. He is a ghost, possessing a computer. His sentience is very clearly not of "artificial" origin at all, even if his body is. This is an extreme example of "how much of a person's body do you have to replace before they are no longer considered human"?

3 books in the main series, 1 "bridging" volume, and 3 books after the world has been twisted. 7 in total with "Mordred" as a MC.

@Charming

surely you mean an A.I.Mac? *grin*

@Angel

Ah! This is a very, very good question, and one that I had to think a lot about. My Alan would do the very same thing real-Alan did: neatly sidestep the issue of defining intelligence at all. Instead, he would do exactly what he'd been doing with himself before Mordred showed up - he would wipe the "computer's" memory, and ask it what its name was.

Alan, based on information he has gleaned from Mordred, would predict that it would take eons for him to get an answer. Obviously, the potential AI would have to be complex enough to exhibit emergent behavior -- he wouldn't ask a toaster; but the interplay between questioner/questioned becomes a different variant of the Imitation Game, one where the observer is done away with entirely, and the boundaries between is/is-not define a *relationship* which draws a mind out of the darkness.

message 31: by Jess (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jess Candela (jesscandela) | 2 comments I have nothing constructive to add at the moment, but I'm really enjoying the questions and answers! :)

message 32: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments A little bit about memory

So here's an interesting bit of history - Frederic Bartlett conducted a number of experiments during the 50s on the act of remembering and recall. From Wikipedia,

One of his most famous studies was on the cognitive and social processes of remembering. He retrieved a series of short fables (the best known was the Native American fable called The War of the Ghosts), each of which comprised a sequence of events which were ostensibly logical but subtly illogical, and there were several discreet non-sequiturs. He would recite this story to subjects, then later (sometimes much later) ask them to recall as much of it as possible. He discovered that most people found it extremely difficult to recall the story exactly, even after repeated readings, and hypothesised that, where the elements of the story failed to fit into the schemata of the listener, these elements were omitted from the recollection, or transformed into more familiar forms.

When Mordred and Alan are eating the Offerings to the Dead, Mordred is denied food - our first hint that he's not actually dead. But then he is allowed Pemmican; you'll recognize two of the lines from the actual text used in Bartlett's experiments, the War of the Ghosts:

One night two young men from Egulac went down to the river to hunt seals and while they were there it became foggy and calm. Then they heard war-cries, and they thought: "Maybe this is a war-party". They escaped to the shore, and hid behind a log. Now canoes came up, and they heard the noise of paddles, and saw one canoe coming up to them. There were five men in the canoe, and they said:

"What do you think? We wish to take you along. We are going up the river to make war on the people."

One of the young men said,"I have no arrows."

"Arrows are in the canoe," they said.

"I will not go along. I might be killed. My relatives do not know where I have gone. But you," he said, turning to the other, "may go with them."

So one of the young men went, but the other returned home.

And the warriors went on up the river to a town on the other side of Kalama. The people came down to the water and they began to fight, and many were killed. But presently the young man heard one of the warriors say, "Quick, let us go home: that Indian has been hit." Now he thought: "Oh, they are ghosts." He did not feel sick, but they said he had been shot.

So the canoes went back to Egulac and the young man went ashore to his house and made a fire. And he told everybody and said: "Behold I accompanied the ghosts, and we went to fight. Many of our fellows were killed, and many of those who attacked us were killed. They said I was hit, and I did not feel sick."

He told it all, and then he became quiet. When the sun rose he fell down. Something black came out of his mouth. His face became contorted. The people jumped up and cried.

He was dead.

Their time in death mirrors (emotionally and intellectually) the first 3 segments of the book (Mordred's job-hunt, his work at EK, his attachment to Alan) except as an analogue to what Alan was going through all this time - you can take the Ghost out of the Desert, but you cannot take the Desert out of the Ghost.

Alan journey throughout the book (though a large part of it will remain invisible till Book 2) was modeled after the Bardo Thodol, the Tibetan book of the dead. But if your objective was rebirth instead of liberation, entanglement instead of renunciation....

Then Mordred shows up, throwing everything off. Mordred and Alan are acting as each other's antiguides, the reversal of the traditional role(s) of the Psychopomp, undoing the process of the Bardo and in the end, achieving entanglement through the Hong/Ou/Mandel effect.

But some of this is part of the esoteric Physics/Math territory I don't think anyone will enjoy....if I'm wrong, do let me know, otherwise, I'll aim to speak every week on different portions of psychology and sociology that shaped the Prince and The Program.

Next week....Shakespeare's Lost Play.

message 33: by Bill (last edited Sep 09, 2012 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Aldous wrote: "...@Kernos - ah, but by *Alan's* definition, he is NOT an AI. He is a ghost, possessing a computer. His sentience is very clearly not of "artificial" origin at all, even if his body is. This is an extreme example of "how much of a person's body do you have to replace before they are no longer considered human"?

3 books in the main series, 1 "bridging" volume, and 3 books after the world has been twisted. 7 in total with "Mordred" as a MC...."

I'm pushing 70 and hope I live long enuf to read and re-read all of the books ;-)

I've a problem, philosophical I guess, of the concept of 'artificial' and 'natural'. This relates well to AI and has been explored in SF at various levels. IE, artificial meaning 'man-made' vis-à-vis 'natural'. Man, being a part of nature, all he does is therefore natural. I do not think this is trivial.

Heinlein had a way of putting this—an email sig I use sometimes:
There are hidden contradictions in the minds of people who "love nature" while deploring the "artificialities" with which "Man has spoiled " 'Nature'". The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man and his artificts are not part of "Nature" - but beavers and their dams are.

But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purposes of men) the "Naturist" reveals his hatred for his own race - i.e., his own self-hatred.

---Robert Heinlein

Orson Scott Card explored some of this in the AI Jane of his later books. Even Star Trek has explored it in Data and his 'grandfather' who haunted him, like a ghost, the idea of uploading a person into a silicon organism. Such things as this, sentience and gengineered lifeforms will be cause fascinating problems for human civilization as they approach existence.

In terms of Ghost vs AI, I am coming to see a conflict between our reality and the Otherworld and even Alan as a WWII being, screwed into mental disease vs 21st century civilization—different perspectives from different times.

message 34: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments I'm pushing 70 and hope I live long enuf to read and re-read all of the books ;-)

Never fear, we're going to get cyborg'd soon. I'm an optimist about these things...

And yes, this is one of the core "problems" Mordred is going to run in, face-first, very soon. The idea that body-and-mind, man-and-nature, brain-and-soul, memory-and-identity, space-and-time are different, as if there is some sort of boundary sharply delineating things.

The concept of such duality is, to me, a very dangerous fallacy. We are all stardust; standing as nature, and not apart from it. The observer and the observed are points within the same system.

Each of the perspectives you mention is a function of a mindset that sees this dualism as something real. Alan, instinctively, (as the real one did when he defined his Turing Test) knows this not to be true, but his lexicon of expression is limited and he keeps falling into the trap of "you AND me". Mordred, on the other hand, is emotionally awake to the non-dualistic perspective, but stubbornly clings to the concept of unity without dissolution.

Matthew (thorn969) | 2 comments I just finished your book and read everything that you wrote here.

I think I grasp about 50% of what you write, here or in the book. But I nonetheless enjoy reading it. I can't follow the reasoning... but it flows nicely. I'm really not that deeply familiar with history, Arthurian legend, or most of the other references.

I think the thing I saw in here that bothered me most was the explanation of the Feast of Souls. How can souls feast on a body? And how do Feasts get created?

Why couldn't Gertrude be replicated? Did she have part of a soul too, or what was going on with her?

And you implied earlier than Mordred could have possessed Gen-Mai... even though she was a cyborg. The book seems to imply extensively that there is something different about her... that she is perhaps developing a soul, or something.

I'm not really looking for answers, more speculating, but feel free to answer if you wish.

message 36: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Aldous wrote: "...The concept of such duality is, to me, a very dangerous fallacy..."

Agreed! I've been fighting dualistic thinking since I 1st understood what it meant. Given our culture it is not easy. Could we be fighting our genetics? A quote from Babylon 5 reminds me of this:
"Summoned, I take the place that has been prepared for me. I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star. We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."
Delenn, "All Alone in the Night"

Angel Martinez (AngelMartinez) | 226 comments Kernos - you just gave me shivers...

message 38: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Hello and Welcome, Matthew.

I'm sorry I've been lax about posting -- on the plus side, I wrote. And wrote. And wrote. On the minus side, I lost fantastic opportunities to interact with people.

To answer (partially) your questions: Souls "feast" on a body by possessing it. A Feast is a bridge/conduit/energizer/catalyst for the souls to interact with the material plane. As for how a Feast is created...nobody knows! It's a Mystery. *grin*. As Robert Jordan used to say, RAFO ;)

Gertrude - another RAFO. You'll find out within the first 3 chapters of JC.

Your speculations wander in interesting directions :)

@Kernos - Yes!

message 39: by Aldous (new) - added it

Aldous Mercer (technomance) | 62 comments Well, it's been a great month, with some very thought-provoking questions and a lot of interesting new friends.

Imp would like to add that you can follow him from Birth to ...(spoilers) at his twitter account @imparse

And you can always email me at mercer@technomance.com if you have any questions :)

Cheers and have a fantastic October!

-Aldous