European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Outlander: Overall

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Sorry there are so many topics this time - couldn't figure out how to get it all broken up! Enjoy the discussion.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I voted for Outlander - I was excited to read it. Looked like a fun book!

Unfortunately, I thought it was awful. It took me 8 days to read this book...time I'll never get back. LOL
I kept reading only because it was a monthly read here, and because I was hoping it would get better.
Though there were sections that I enjoyed, the overall crappiness of the book never really improved. Too bad, because I think it was a cool idea, and if written differently (completely differently) it could have been a really good story.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's the worst book I've ever read, but it's damn close.

Outlander is a best seller with an average 4.4 rating here on Goodreads - and that's with 13,042 reviews! Obviously my opinion is opposite the majority. I'm interested to hear what everyone else here thinks.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments You know, I loved loved loved it, but you are not alone. I'm pretty sure I've seen a thread at Amazon's Romance boards on a similar topic - and I know I've gone into a book that everyone (including those who's tastes march with mine and I'm scratching my head wondering if I read the same book.

Such is life, and the looks I get when people start raving to me about Pillars of the Earth and I'm giving them you should have your head examined look :)

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Haha! I like-loved Outlander and REALLY loved Pillars of the Earth, so clearly I'm in the wrong thread. :) But, yes, I enjoyed Outlander - it took me a long time to get into it, but once she had chosen Jamie I found the story pretty riveting. The way that they had to come back together after the trauma he went through, I found really touching and well-written. But I wouldn't say I ran to the next one in the series.

Anyone know of any other time-travel love stories they think are written better?

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments The Time Traveler's Wife is completely different - but it is a love story about time travel. I thought it was really well written - the characters were very human.