European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Outlander: Search/Sanctuary (Ch. 34-41)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Here's where to discuss this final part of the book.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments The number of things that go wrong for Claire is almost comical. The woman actually had to fight off a pack of wolves. How dramatic can you get?!

Jamie's time in prison was terrifying.
Jamie's recounting of his time in prison after he's rescued is terrifyingly disturbing. IMO, DG really overstepped the line between offering realistic description and being needlessly graphic.
The gay-rape/torture was over the top.
Claire's 'healing' of Jamie at the abbey in France was just as over the top. Using opium to help him reenact the whole thing (only this time, he can fight back) to break his fever and heal his mind and body?
Disgusting.
And the fact that it works - that Jamie is suddenly good as new - sort of made me want to vomit.
The end scene in the mineral pools under the abbey was almost as disgusting - just because it was so gratuitous. Haven't we already been shown that Jamie is whole again? Wasn't his slipping into her bed (even though he wasn't sure he was ready) proof enough of that.

The best part of this section was that it was the end of the book.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments I didn't find it gratuitous, I found it kind of healing. I think maybe people just react differently. I have known a few people who have had to sort of reclaim aspects of their lives in which they had absolutely no power through role-playing or whatnot and that has given them some strength back. I actually thought this part of the book was one of my favorites, even though it was tough to read. Though I agree that he would not just magically get better (and I don't remember feeling like he was 100% immediately when I was reading, though maybe I was adding that reading in based on my own experiences...)

message 4: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments *****spoiler warning (kind of)*****

Really not a spoiler but just in case. Despite what is perceived about Jamie's being 100% healed at the end of the book, those that read further into the series will discover otherwise.