Readers who hike discussion

Complete Walker IV

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in the process of reading this book and have to say I wish I would have read this sooner! This book covers everything: shoes, tents, stoves, sleeping bags, etc. It is written with humor and I'm finding it really down to earth.

It's a large book (800+ pages) but so far is really well worth the read. I admit I've skipped over some sections (like alcohol stoves) but so far, so good.

Anyone else read this?

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffschneider) | 9 comments Mod
I've only perused it at book stores, it looked good. I know the author recently passed away

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/spo...

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 22, 2009 01:13PM) (new)

It's a good read, but many of the techniques and most of the equipment are somewhat out-of-date. Better read for philosophy and the character of the authors than as a backpacking primer these days.

And alcohol stoves and Esbit tab stoves are all I use. Canister and gas stoves are way too heavy. :)

message 4: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (patriciaklichen) | 7 comments I read it years ago--at one time it was the backpacker's Bible. As I remember, it was one of those books where you felt you came to know the author. I hadn't thought of the book in quite a while, and hadn't heard that Colin Fletcher had died. Thanks for this info.