European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Outlander: Castle Leoch/On the Road (Ch. 6-16)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments This is where to discuss this part of the book.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I just finished chapter 17.

Chapters 6-16 took this book from slightly boring to slightly interesting.
I'm enjoying it a lot more now than I was at first.

Claire seems oddly detached from 1945 and her husband. When she mentions him, she seems to do it in passing, as if he's an afterthought.
I know that she's supposedly on her way to the stones so she can get back to him...it's just not all that convincing to me. She seemed to be enjoying herself - even before she was 'forced' to marry Jamie.

Jamie is, of course, the most compelling character in the book so far. He's a great hero, even if much of his personality is unrealistic.
I'm still giggling about him being a virgin...yeah, right. And his learning about sex from farm animals...DG was reaching, wasn't she? I can't figure out why she wanted him to be so innocent! He's so strong and protective of Claire - and then in the bedroom he's totally dependent on her. It's an interesting juxtaposition. I'm sure it was intentional, it's just not terribly believable, IMO.

I'd like to know how old Claire and Jamie are. Does anyone remember? She constantly makes reference to him being young - how much older is she supposed to be?

I'm finding the writing cumbersome, the descriptions repetitive. The first 300 pages of this book could have been condensed to 150 pages, easily.

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments FYI - in case anyone else wonders, Jamie is 23. Claire turns 28 a little later in the book. Jamie thought she was his age or a little younger, though.
Makes sense - people probably aged a bit faster back then.

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Sorry people that I'm so late to the discussion!

I agree with you Mandy that Claire seems detached from her husband. She seems to be having a grand old time in the 1740s! She's pretty well adjusted and has a job and doesn't seem too upset about what happened. Ha, she may have been "forced" to marry Jamie, but she sure jumped into bed with him willingly enough (and then again and again)!

I'm enjoying the book enough, but so far it's nothing that special to me.