European Royalty discussion

History Group Reads > Outlander: Inverness, 1945 (Ch. 1-5)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Here's where to discuss this part of the book.

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments I just read it a few months ago, so not sure if I'll re-read, but am looking forward to discussion. If I remember correctly, this was my least fav part of the book. Go Team Jamie! :)

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments I'm not going to be able to reread it either but like Fiona looking forward to talking about it, and Jamie too :)

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Misfit wrote: "I'm not going to be able to reread it either but like Fiona looking forward to talking about it, and Jamie too :)"

Me too but I will be glad to share my comments with the group.

message 5: by Alaine (new)

Alaine (alainemb) I'm also looking forward to it. I read it for the second time late last year so can't wait for the discussion!

message 6: by Paula (last edited Feb 03, 2009 12:09PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) I love this book, and have lost count of the number of times I have read it,It will be interesting to see the discussion on it

message 7: by CmPete (new)

CmPete Tucker | 10 comments On first read, I found the opening chapters rather lame. I thought that there was a bit too much detail for the opening. Why mention buying the vases? This still strikes me as an example of D.G.'s only writing weakness - the tendency to drown us in detail. Of course this is also a strength. It is the detail that makes the historical sections so compelling to me.

I do think that the opening chapters provide a great foundation for the rest of the series. It establishes the characters of Claire and Frank quite well. Jamie is introduced, but we are left to discover his character along with Claire. I confess that it is Jamie that keeps me reading and re-reading.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I agree - I thought chapters 1-5 were pretty lame. The only thing that kept me going was the promise of some bodice-ripping romance ;)
I also agree that Gabaldon's writing is weak. Of course, I'm coming off SKP, so I suppose that could be making DG look worse than she actually is.
I'm on chapter 15 and so far still not loving the book. It's fine...just not really good. I'm close to halfway - hoping things will improve soon!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Ugh, I hated Chapters 1-5, which is why I made them their own section. I completely agree that Jamie is the most interesting character in the novel and my-oh-my Frank is boring. I'm obviously Team Jamie and personally think that the book starts flying at about half-way through. I had to fight not to put it down at first.

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Well, I'm a little late to the party, but I'm finally getting around to this book! I didn't hate this section, but there was certainly nothing special about it. All the flower details were a little too much for me which goes along with CmPete's comment about too much detail. At first I thought Claire's 1700s lover was going to be that Randall guy, and I was starting to get a little creeped out due to all the references to his looking like Frank (plus all I could think of was, wow, she's going to sleep with her husband's great-great-a-lot-of-greats grandfather?). Then Jamie popped into the picture, so I'm figuring he's the love interest, so I'm relieved! I'm excited to hear that it gets much better, because while this part was alright, it didn't do anything for me.