And after our quick poll for September, we have a winner: The Tommyknockers

Please mark spoilers when necessary.

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Late last night or the night before
Tommyknockers Tommyknockers
was on the poll.

:P

Two stars Chris?

message 3: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments Reading this now. it's fantastic!

message 4: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1057 comments Mod
I read it when it first came out. It's the only King book I struggled through.

I really need to re-read it, but I'm on that damn ban.

message 5: by Randall (new) - added it

Randall | 3 comments I don't really lick that one are dreamcatcher it's some thing about Stephen and aliens

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex | 3 comments I tried this one years ago and couldn't get into it so gave up. Glad this is the one chosen, gives me motivation to read it again!

(It's sitting on the shelf glaring at me for rejecting it as I type!)

I loved Dreamcatcher, it's seriously weird but I just got hooked on it! The movie wasn't as terrible as it could have been either!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Chris and I are big Dreamcatcher fans. :D Tis a good'un.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments I read Tommyknockers years ago, when it first released. I remember this book being a little weird. I will revisit soon for the group discussion.

message 9: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments I did not like dreamcatcher at all.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments I am looking forward to find out what The Tommyknockers is about. I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Can't wait for the actual discussions to start. :)

message 11: by Dustin (last edited Sep 03, 2012 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin | 1 comments Kathryn wrote: "I am looking forward to find out what The Tommyknockers is about. I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Can't wait for the actual discussions to start. :)"

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one, Kathryn!!:)

I might just have to join the group read. I think I'm experiencing King withdrawl..

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Dustin wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I am looking forward to find out what The Tommyknockers is about. I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Can't wait for the actual discussions to start. :)"

I can't wait to..."

Me, too, on the King withdrawal.

message 13: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments Dustin wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I am looking forward to find out what The Tommyknockers is about. I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Can't wait for the actual discussions to start. :)"

I can't wait to..."

I hope you join in on the group read Dustin. I'd love to hear your thoughts.:)

message 14: by Kathy (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) | 665 comments This was a good one! I read it 20 something years ago (OMG! Totally aging myself! lol) I really liked it though. Don't remember a whole lot, but really liked it. I'm torn about a re-read, though.

Dustin | 1 comments Kathryn wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I am looking forward to find out what The Tommyknockers is about. I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Can't wait for the actual discussions to start. :)"

..."

:) It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Dustin | 1 comments Victor wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I am looking forward to find out what The Tommyknockers is about. I've never read it, nor have I seen the movie. Can't wait for the actual discussions to start. :)"

..."

Like I said, I just might have to do that, Victor. Thank you! I'd be interested in your thoughts on it, too. If I do read it with you all, I believe this will be the first time I've done so.. I mean, I've commented about various books, but I have never read along with the group!

Christopher Owen | 104 comments I think this is Kings most underrated book. When (view spoiler)

Valerie Zink | 30 comments I read it years ago when it first came out and I did not like it. BUT, I was not in a good place at that time and normally I like all things King, so I am excited to get the push for the re-read! Here goes!

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Valerie the bookworm wrote: "I read it years ago when it first came out and I did not like it. BUT, I was not in a good place at that time and normally I like all things King, so I am excited to get the push for the re-read! H..."

Yay!

Valerie Zink | 30 comments Kathryn wrote: "Valerie the bookworm wrote: "I read it years ago when it first came out and I did not like it. BUT, I was not in a good place at that time and normally I like all things King, so I am excited to ge..."

I still have not read Dark Tower 7. I think I am mentally just putting it off because I do NOT want it to end! :(

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 656 comments Valerie the bookworm wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Valerie the bookworm wrote: "I read it years ago when it first came out and I did not like it. BUT, I was not in a good place at that time and normally I like all things King, so I ..."

HAHA! JUST READ IT! :)

Catherine (yarnmama10) | 89 comments I read this when it first came out as well. I don't remember disliking it at the time, but I didn't remember much about it when I was compelled to re-read it last month. After I got into a little way I started to recall some things but not enough detail to even remember for sure how it turned out. That made it more fun on the re-read. It was almost like reading it for the first time, but with some familiar "oh yeah" moments.

I enjoyed it this time for sure. I don't get why it gets a bad rap. I know about how he barely remembers writing it due to his addictions at the time, but strangely enough it reads like a King novel to me.

Valerie Zink | 30 comments King withdrawal? Not me! I am on King overload and loving it! Everything's Eventual, From a Buick 8, AND Tommyknockers now grace my currently reading shelf! I am freakin' NUTS!

message 24: by Eren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eren Cain (goodreadscomECstories) | 23 comments Just re-reading FIRESTARTER, and about to dive into A FACE IN THE CROWD! But TOMMYKNOCKERS is probably my number one for King's books with a Town perspective after Needful Things & Salem's Lot - i really think this book has the same relentless fugue-effect that Pet Semetary had on me! But i'm a constant reader and probably biased...

Jessica (JessyanElfatheart) | 19 comments I read Tommy less than a year agoso I probably won't reread right now. But I look forward to discussing it with everyone. It is one ofmy middle ground King books. It is not one of my all time favs, but it is a good read and parts I enjoyed very much.

Chris (Cbrunner11) | 119 comments I remember seeing the TV movie on ABC years ago when it first aired. To be honest I don't remember the movie at all so I am excited to read this with a fresh unknowing perspective. I will probably try to rent the movie when I finish just so I can compare.

Besides, what can be better than discussing a good book with like minded people. Can't wait to get further into this book.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 609 comments I just read this one (for the first time! Despite having owned it since I was like 10...) back around Christmas and liked it way more than I was expecting. I mean I usually love all of 'em, but this one always got dogged on and called his worst (or one of the worst, depending on who was saying it lol). But I really liked it. Sure it was a little dated technology-wise, but it held my attention and kept it held until the story was told. And I really liked Gard, he was my favorite character. But I liked seeing all the glimpses into what the townsfolk were up to too. :D

message 28: by Tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tim | 80 comments I've never read this before. I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive after reading a few peoples thoughts on it. What got me to read it though was the group read, I've never done one before and it sounds like fun. That being said, I'm about 100 pages in and so far so good!

Trudi (trudistafford) | 150 comments I ♥ The Tommyknockers. I've re-read it three or four times at least. One of these days I have to try and put some of what I feel into a review. In the meantime, can't wait to hear what you all think as you tackle it this month :)

Tracy (NoisyReading) | 105 comments I am going to finish Mystery by Peter Straub and then I will join the group read. I have been wanting to re-read this one for a long time. Can't wait!

Tatiana | 1 comments One of my favorite books written by King.

Holly | 434 comments Ooooo, this one was good! I wish I had a copy of it so I could re-read it with the group! Grrrr :(

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments Question, did a message go out announcing the poll was open for voting?

message 34: by Chris , The Hardcase (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 1057 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Question, did a message go out announcing the poll was open for voting?"

It was sent. Whether GR actually delivered, I can't say.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments I didn't get it. May not be on the list

message 36: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments This book is getting creepy!

Holly | 434 comments Victor wrote: "This book is getting creepy!"

Glad you're liking it Victor! I wish I could read it with you guys!

Christopher Owen | 104 comments Victor wrote: "This book is getting creepy!"

What part are you at?

message 39: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments Holly wrote: "Victor wrote: "This book is getting creepy!"

Glad you're liking it Victor! I wish I could read it with you guys!"

Didn't you say you had an ereader? I'm sure you have about 10 dollars right? The magic of ereaders! The tightness ofmoney!:(

message 40: by Thomas (new) - added it

Thomas Bieber | 22 comments Sadly I can't read this book this month, because I'm at college and won't be at home again till early October (and I left this King hardcover at home) so I am excited to read this when I can!

message 41: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments Christopher wrote: "Victor wrote: "This book is getting creepy!"

What part are you at?"

I'm on chapter 7 beach jernigan and dick allison. Justfinished the ruth chapters. God that was something nd the whole "becoming" was creepy.

message 42: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments Thomas wrote: "Sadly I can't read this book this month, because I'm at college and won't be at home again till early October (and I left this King hardcover at home) so I am excited to read this when I can!"

I hate when stuff like that happens! Hope you have other good books to read, Thomas.:)

Holly | 434 comments Victor wrote: "Holly wrote: "Victor wrote: "This book is getting creepy!"

Glad you're liking it Victor! I wish I could read it with you guys!"

Didn't you say you had an ereader? I'm sure you have about 10 dolla..."

No, I don't. But I might be going to the library later; I'm going to see if they have a copy! :)

message 44: by Dustin (last edited Sep 07, 2012 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin | 1 comments Christopher wrote: "I think this is Kings most underrated book. When [spoilers removed]"

Hi, Christoper- I completely agree about this being one of King's most underrated books. And your spoiler is spot-on, IMO! I also love how the story starts with such a mundane occurrence and turn it into an utterly brilliant sci-fi/horror story! It's a feat in which only King could pull off well.

Anyway, I started last night. With only 44 pages under my belt, I'm feeling quite nostalgic because The Tommyknockers is one of the first of his books that I ever read. Written on the inside back cover is my full name, along with the year of purchase: 1993.

message 45: by Eren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eren Cain (goodreadscomECstories) | 23 comments Dustin wrote: "Christopher wrote: "I think this is Kings most underrated book. When [spoilers removed]"

Hi, Christoper- I completely agree about this being one of King's most underrated books. And your spoiler i..."

could not agree more !

message 46: by Nate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nate (Dan-Tete) | 5 comments This was the first Stephen King book that I've read so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Some say that King is too wordy and over descriptive but I believe that this novel is perfect in every way. I will not join the reading this month but I hope those who do decide to read it enjoy it as much as I did.

Dustin | 1 comments Nate wrote: "This was the first Stephen King book that I've read so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Some say that King is too wordy and over descriptive but I believe that this novel is perfect..."

Nate- this wasn't my very first SK, but definitely ONE of the firsts. I think that King can be a bit wordy at times (he's admitted to overwriting many of his stories,) but like you, I believe this isn't one of them.

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments At first I was not going to participate in this group read for several reasons. But I think I will sacrifice other books I have to read ahead of this one and jump into this group discussion

message 49: by Victor (new)

Victor | 150 comments Veronica wrote: "At first I was not going to participate in this group read for several reasons. But I think I will sacrifice other books I have to read ahead of this one and jump into this group discussion"

Glad your in, Veronica!

Veronica (VeraJ121) | 300 comments Just purchased the book on my e-reader. Will be starting it soon.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7