flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > sept 1-15

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments It's still summer...until I've finished my summer reading pile!

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments For some reason, I have felt it a lack, not to have read any Kingsly Amis. Well, it might have been a good thing. I cannot imagine that anyone could actually endorse his fatuous mutterings. The racist, mysogynist bugger.

So quickly I grabbed an Anais Nin,A Spy in the House of Love no matter I'd read it before and not been especially gripped. Glad to report, it's quite improved this time around. Perhaps because I am no longer under the influence of the diaries.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim Finishing my second pass through Hopscotch and I'm about half way through a re-read of Absalom, Absalom!.

Have also been sniffing around the edges of Infinite Jest

message 4: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 826 comments I'm thrilled to have finished Gravity's Rainbow which I ended up loving, and also The Instructions. I'm starting to think obsessively about Infinite Jest. I wish I could retire already & focus on important stuff, like books.

Jim, seriously how do you read such difficult books so quickly & yet so intelligently? I admit it: I'm jealous!

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim Ellie wrote: "I'm thrilled to have finished Gravity's Rainbow which I ended up loving, and also The Instructions. I'm starting to think obsessively about Infinite Jest. I wish I could retire already & focus on i..."

Well, I'm semi-retired, which is a nice way of saying I don't have a job, so I have plenty of time for reading.

Glad you're psyched about IJ. I'm going to put up a post this week about a pre-IJ read of Hamlet to prime the pump...

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 639 comments Saturday brings International Literacy Day... and a lot more besides.

message 7: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 826 comments Jim wrote: "Ellie wrote: "I'm thrilled to have finished Gravity's Rainbow which I ended up loving, and also The Instructions. I'm starting to think obsessively about Infinite Jest. I wish I could retire alread..."

Even with more time, I don't think I could read as intelligently & quickly as you!

I love the idea of priming with Hamlet. I'll get out my copy (my son's been wanting to read it, maybe I'll read it with him).

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments You slay me, both of you,Jim of course (quick AND intelligent,yes) but Ellie you are a lot like,with all the books you have going at once.

Ironically,I have just quit my job in the used bookstore which allowed me some magnificent reading opportunities, and am now faced with packing up my library.When I pick up a book to read, I feel guilty:so much to do its overwhelming at times.

You both do know of the group formed by my new friends Kris and Mary reading Infinite Jest?http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7... I never managed to get a copy, and my plan is to wait until the time is right for me...tho the group should be big fun,

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "You slay me, both of you,Jim of course (quick AND intelligent,yes) but Ellie you are a lot like,with all the books you have going at once.

Ironically,I have just quit my job in the used bookstore ..."

We have IJ scheduled for a 10/15/12 start date at Brain Pain, so I'll be a veteran come January... but I haven't been invited to the IJ group yet.

BTW, for those with beaucoup courage, there is a group called 2013 the year of reading Proust, which will read all six volumes of the Modern Library version at a pace of two months per volume:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

Good luck, M, with your job search, etc. Be sure to store all your acorns before winter comes!

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments not looking for a job Jim and sorry just havent been able to keep up with Brain Pain, swamped with details of this transition. Its more Im on a vision quest, looking for a place to nest and run my library.

I am actually needing to read Proust and have a beautifull 3 volume set, the stnadard one I guess

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments are you still accepting members for BP Jim as I just posted your info on Kris and Mary's site;only fair I give you theirs http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7...

Actually, I have sometimes confused you with another Jim who is friends with Kris and had some interesting comments in our savage detectives discussions.

I am finally after a few mediocre reads in the fiction dept into a book I am lovingSuper Sad True Love Story Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Hated to finish A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "are you still accepting members for BP Jim as I just posted your info on Kris and Mary's site;only fair I give you theirs http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/7......"

Yes, BP is a public group open to all...

message 13: by Ellie (last edited Sep 09, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Ellie (EllieArcher) | 826 comments Hurray, Magdelanye!! BP is my favorite group (after this one, of course), even if I can only do one out of every 3-5 reads! I just don't read the hard stuff fast enough. But the ones I do read are great-as are the summaries, links & discussions. Welcome!

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments Gee Ellie, I wish I could say I'll be there: where I am going I will be able to check in at interenet spots but I am not going to take the laptop.

The exciting news that I may get to meet Jim in person, tho probly not for a while,hey Jim what did we reckon when we first discussed?

I think K & M's group will be be big fun because these women are super nice and very witty

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "Gee Ellie, I wish I could say I'll be there: where I am going I will be able to check in at interenet spots but I am not going to take the laptop.

The exciting news that I may get to meet Jim in p..."

According to a post from 10/24/11, the plan was to meet in a year and a day, so you've got 46 days to go...

Are you going on a pilgrimage?

message 16: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Sep 11, 2012 01:00AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments yes...altho actually I have frlt like pilgrim interuptus stuck in this city

message 17: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (Neilar) | 639 comments I think my holiday suitcases contain more books (for the library overseas) than clothes.

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 1472 comments packing is definately a fine art,especially as regards books to take. One can see the temptatation of the e=book.