Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > Yz's Accountability Thread

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Goals:

To exercise at minimum 4 times a week
To eat healthy by avoiding fastfood (my weakness)
To keep a food diary and monitor my mood triggers

Current weight is 155 lbs.
February weight goal is 150 lbs.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Today was both a good and bad day.

I attended a step class at the gym. Even though I was out of shape, I was pretty okay when its over.

Food wise is the bad part:

Breakfast:
bowl of instant oatmeal with fatfree skim milk and splenda

Snack
a banana

Lunch:
a slice of leftover meatlover's pizza and an apple pie...(I know ...it was what I saw in the fridge and I can't resist)

Dinner:
Has to attend a sort of "farewell party" for a friend at The Cheesecake Factory.

Had some barbecued salmon, mashed potatoes, some sort of corn/vegetable soccoutash (sp?) and some fried onion strings. Ate almost 3/4 of the meal.
Ate plenty of bread too at the beginning, and had a few bites of carrot cake from a friend's dessert.

Yes..my main weakness is food, and I have a very healthy appetite. I need to learn to eat better, and in smaller portions.

Actually listing them down, makes me actually see how much I've eaten. Oh, dear...well, tomorrow is another day and I will do better.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Great way to start Yz! Keep at it and you'll see changes in no time.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) You did well on the exercising. It's hard to get motivated sometimes to get up or out and do some of it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I start out light and add a little each day or week. I have to b/c I have little to no energy. Could be my weight or my illness. But it's NOT an excuse =). Just makes me want to try harder. Like all of us =)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kenjii wrote: "I start out light and add a little each day or week. I have to b/c I have little to no energy. Could be my weight or my illness. But it's NOT an excuse =). Just makes me want to try harder. Like al..."

I have trouble getting motivated to exercise. I have a stationary bike at home but hate using it (free from the neighbors) as the handlebars move back and forth as you peddle, so I can't read as I bike and it's not anywhere near a tv. I have a manual (ie non-motorized) treadmill (free off freecycle) but it sticks a bit if you're walking slow since it's manual (it's just fine if you run! lol) so I can't read and walk while using that. I also got free (off freecycle) a manual skiing type machine. Just a few minutes of that one can wear me out. I've got all of these down in the basement on one side of my pantry. I've got workout videos to do but my kids tend to inturrpt me alot. I got my 12 year old to try doing pilates with me once. lol He was better at it than I was but even he had trouble with the positions. When my 4 year old interrupts me alot, I've tried putting in Elmocize. lol He loves it and I get worn out trying to keep up with a bunch of hopping and jumping toddlers. lol Should try to get to the YMCA and use the pool again...

message 7: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I have been up-to-no-good for the past three days when it came to my commitment.

Monday...I didn't get to go to the gym because it was raining hard when i was driving home, and I allowed myself to get swayed. Eating was decent, but not entirely healthy.

Tuesday... Did some squats and floor exercises at home. Ate some chips and candy at work when I shouldn't.

Wednesday...Today, I'm feeling extremely depressed and listless. Didn't go to the gym. Eating okay.

Tomorrow, I plan do do better...I think I'm having PMS that is causing the cravings and the lethargy..but I'll work around it.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments I struggle daily with mania and depression. Shopping (my book addiction) replaces my cravings for food. I still eat sweets but I won't eat like 2-3 slices of pie or 2-3 candy bars. I used to just gorge on sweets. But my mind didn't even register the intake. Glad to see you posted and to know that your trying to stay on track =) Keep it up

message 9: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I found that mild exercise (like walking) helps with PMS. Actually losing weight helps a lot!
And few lousy days is nothing to be discouraged with. It's gonna happen from time to time. Just do a little something every day.

Say, today I ate too much for lunch and then, for dinner, I stuffed myself silly with cake & ice cream, & haven't worked out @ all, or even left my apartment. Well clearly I'm not doing good. And then I start thinking.... Should I give up? Should I quit this weight loss thing? Maybe it's not for me after all. I just can't do this :(

Well, NO! Weight loss is hard, because we have to break habits. It's harder to unlearn stuff, than to learn sth new. Don't be discouraged.

So. It's 11pm, and all this negative thoughts cloud your mind. Go for a walk: 15 min around the block. You can do this much! Drink a glass of water after that... 15 min. And tomorrow, who knows, maybe you can make it 20? No? Well 15 is perfectly fine. You're doing great. Baby steps ;D

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Baby steps..yes baby steps...

I have been "bad" and have semi-abandoned my weight loss goals this month. Well, I'm going to get myself back into the game. Well, start tracking again, good or bad. That will make accountable, somehow..someway.

message 11: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments We are here for you Yz! We know you can do it!~! :D

BOOK WURMS UNITE!

message 12: by Kasia (new)

Kasia aaahh! yes, do not to give up on us Yz. I'm slipping of my plan ever now and again, that's expected. Glad you're back.

message 13: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Yeah I think everyone is entitled to slip. It's human nature. The important thing is getting back on track :D

message 14: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Thanks for the encouragement! I'm so glad I have you guys, to help me along. Well, I will be definitely going to the gym tonight after work...

message 15: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I mess up again. Wasn't able to go to the gym last night.

Foodwise, I'm doing okay, but not the healthiest.

Breakfast: banana and a cup of coffee
Lunch: 1/2 cup of rice, steamed broccoli, chicken

Snack: small slice of birthday cake (I work at a car dealership, so there is no short-supply of "bad" food...LOL..)

Will work on keeping things light for the rest of the day...

message 16: by Kasia (new)

Kasia You're doing just fine on food, don't sweat. Exercise will come in time. Just keep posting.

message 17: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I actually went to the gym last night, and did a kickboxing class. Was finally able to drag my lazy butt to get it done..LOL

Will be going to the gym again tonight..

message 18: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Kickboxing kicks ass. I find it more exhausting than other step classes. Awesome Yz.

message 19: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I actually enjoyed the class. Sometimes I forget how fun it is to exercise because I'm not consistent in attending them.

I'm more of a group exerciser than anything else. Not very good in exercising by myself.

message 20: by Kasia (new)

Kasia I concur, aerobic classes are fun. There's something comforting and motivating in group workout. And the music always makes me wanna shake my booty.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'm too self concious to work out in a group. So I have to motivate myself to get the workout tapes out and use them at home (which I havn't lately). I always wish when the leader has the participants behind them that they had some, uh, fluffy folks back there. lol They bend and stretch and move in ways those of us less-than-svelt just can't get into. lol Would help to have someone closer to our size to realize anyone can do it.

message 22: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Ok, I really need to get serious about this weightloss thing. Hubby, who has hypertension and has been advised so many times to lose weight, has finally taken up the challenge and has been consistently exercising.

We are currently apart (long-distance relationships..whatever..LOL..), and I feel like I cannot let him get the better of me..LOL

So I'm going to make sure that I can compete with him in getting fit, and I need your help, ladies, in keeping me motivated.

March is going to be the month..LOL..baby but consistent steps...LOL

message 23: by Kasia (new)

Kasia healthy competition can get you a long way, and don't tell yourself, ok I'm gonna start in March, start now.

Tell me you're gonna start today, I don't mean going to the gym necessarily... more like grabbing an apple instead of candy bar, though anything goes really };-)

message 24: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments good point, Kasia. I do have my gym bag in the car, so I guess, that means, I'm stopping at the gym tonight.

Thanks for that reminder.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Yz wrote: "We are currently apart (long-distance relationships..whatever..LOL..), and I feel like I cannot let him get the better of me..LOL"

I can sympathize with ya there Yz. My fiance's overseas in England while I'm in the middle of the USA.

Keep up the good work. Every lil bit helps.

message 26: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Okay, I just got back from the gym, and guess what's the first thing I do, log in to GR..LOL

Did 40 mins of mix treadmill and elliptical machine. Got waylaid by a trainor, so I'm scheduled for a complimentary trainig session tomorrow evening. Hmm..maybe that's a sign for me to really take my work-outs seriously.

message 27: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Yay! 40 min of serious sweating, yay another workout! Shake that trainor down some, maybe he'll (she?) be good for another session :D

message 28: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I did go to the gym last night, and did the free personal trainer session. He taught me how to use some machines, gave me some exercise tips and eating advice.

I did not sign up for personal training (boy, those prices are steep) but it motivated me to train on my own.

So far, March has been good. Gym bag is in car, and will be in the gym tonight.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Keep up the good work Yz.

message 30: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments That's awesome Yz! :D

message 31: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Been good. I went to the gym last night and attended a Latin Impact class.

Foodwise, I'm still working on it.

3/5
Breakfast - cup of coffee (I know, I should have eaten something.

Snack - a hardboiled egg

Lunch - rice, chicken and mixed vegetables

Snack - a small can of tuna

Dinner - some rice noodles with vegetables

message 32: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 06, 2009 07:05PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Today, I did some basic strength training exercises at home. I have a book called Workouts for Women by Joni Hyde, and I'm using it as my guide when I do simple exercises at home.

Foodwise:

Breakfast: cup of coffee, Fiber One cereal with soymilk

Snack: a small cup of applesauce

Lunch: rice, chicken with some vegetables

Work got too busy, forgot to snack.

Dinner: a piece of fried salmon and some steamed mixed vegetables (thought I'll skip the carbs tonight)

Feeling good about myself today. Will be working on consistency.

message 33: by Kasia (last edited Mar 07, 2009 05:14AM) (new)

Kasia Wow, Yz seems like you're in the groove - exercising, listing food. No wonder you feel good, you've earned it.

message 34: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'm working on it..LOL...

In fact, thinking that I'm going to be revealing to the group what I have been eating, is helping me to pick better choices..

message 35: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Simply writing down what I eat always has positive impact on my diet. It puts me to shame. Hating to put down on paper all those hot chocolates and second helpings, I simply opt out ending up eating less. So I understand... Go Yz!

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments 3/7 Saturday

breakfast: coffee, Fiber One Cereal with soy milk

snack; applesauce

lunch: chicken, rice and veggies

snack: some beef jerky

dinner: fish and veggies

Exercise: 15 mins treadmill/15 mins ellipticall

message 37: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 08, 2009 09:15PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments 3/8 Sunday

Brunch: half of an egg sandwich

lunch: a grilled cheede sandwich (was craving for one since last night)

snack: coffee

dinner: another grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of yellow lentil soup.

Pretty heavy in carbs day. Feeling slightly depressed too emotionally, although I didn't binge which is a good thing.

What is missing were fruits and vegetables. Really have to work on making sure I get some in my meals.

Exercise: some basic strength training moves like lunges, etc. at home

message 38: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Well we certainly forgive you a day without veggies Yz. **Chucles** Your on a such a healthy diet overall, I feel like a little piggy compared to you. And even if you do binge ('cause we all have our moments of weakness), just ignore it, eat healthy the next day, work out like usual, life goes on.

message 39: by Felisha (new)

Felisha (sunkissedthoughts) | 175 comments Yz, you are doing great. We can't beat ourselves up over minor slip ups. We just have to keep moving forward and keep making strides.

Keep up the good work!

message 40: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 10, 2009 05:21AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments 3/9 (Monday)

Breakfast; coffee, cereal and soymilk
Snack: half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Lunch: rice, chicken and steamed broccoli
Snach: another cup of coffee and the other half of my P&J sandwich
Dinner: made a grilled cheese sandwich...(LOL..something must be wrong with me, I can't seem to stop the grilled cheese sandwich..LOL)

Exercise: attended a kickboxing class at the gym (good for around 45 mins)

message 41: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Nothing wrong with you Yz, grilled cheese is yummy, I love how it melts.

Pimpin food log, keep on posting :)

message 42: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL..I'll probably be eating grilled cheese sandwiches until all the cheese and bread is gone..LOL..

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yz: Awesome log. I don't always eat healthy but I try and eat right. Stay away from fried foods and whatnot. Use single serv. snacks. Buy diet soda if I MUST drink it =D. WTG your doing it. Your really really do it.

message 44: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Ressurecting my weight loss thread from the ashes of neglect...LOL

Update on what I have been doing:

Since the beginning of June, I have been going to the gym every other day, attending hour-long cardio classes (step class, cycling, kickboxing, Lating dancing, etc).

Also, now that hubby is around, he makes this mean salads that I get to take to lunch. So my diet has improved quite well.

So, I'm back on track, and will start keeping again a daily log of what I eat, and whether I exercise.

message 45: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Sounds like you're on it. Great.

message 46: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Saturday:

Breakfast:

coffee with Splenda and creamer
piece of plain toast

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments That is great. Sounds like you mean business =D.

message 48: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Fallen off the wagon for some time now, but trying to get back on it again.

Will start posting my food diary and exercise record again.