Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > Lace Reader (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments The Lace Reader, 10 Cds Unabridged Library Edition

O.K. So I just finished this book. Anyone else read it? What were your thoughts?

I was confused about some points of the book.

But I don't want to post my questions unless others have read it.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I've read it and really liked it. It had a bunch of twists and turns I didnt see coming and I'm usually pretty good at that stuff.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments Tera, I am so glad you read it!

Was the main character was abused by Cal? Or was she raped by Jack? Or did both events happen? Did the rape by Jack cause her to get the events confused in her mind???

I felt kind of dumb because she warned us that she had filled things in and made stuff up when she couldn't remember details and I was confused in the beginning about the gravestone being spelled wrong. But the ending still left me confused.

LOL.

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
My take on it...
Jack raped her when she came BACK to town but not as a kid.
Cal however abused her all growing up. Towner is Lindley basically. Lindley died at birth but as towner had to deal with the abuse from Cal her relationship with Jack the loss of her sister and ultimatly the disassociation by her mother she split into towner/lindly to be able to deal with all of it.

There were SO many twists in this book I really had to disect it after I read it to figure it all out. Who knows I may have it wrong but that is the conclusion that I came to.

message 5: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I read it and loved it, too. (Sequel coming out this year!!) I'm with you Tera, Cal was abusive towards her all throughout her childhood, but Jack raped her as an adult after he got her drunk. I did not see the Dissociative Disorder until the very end. I believe all the things she said Lindley did was Towner, but her as Lindley (people who dissociate act different and often don't remember being the other person. They sometimes are even physically different, one identity being a lefty, the other a righty, one needing glasses, the other not... amazing stuff the brain can do).

The one I don't remember being resolved is the night Cal showed up to adult Towner's house and made her pray... what happened? How did she get out of it?

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Tayse (mrstayse) | 23 comments I don't know. He raped her when he got back into town? When did that happen?? I missed that. I thought Jack raped her on the boat when they were on the water. I did not know there was a sequel coming out, I'll have to tell my mom - she's the one who gave me the book.

I thought that she did not get out of it - that is why she was in the hospital and recovering. That is why he was going to have to go on trial and she was going to have to testify against him and that is why what's his name had found her journal and why she was staying at this house.