Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Superbowl Commercials

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
Although I said I don't watch the superbowl, and I don't in any true sense of the word "watch" I do heartily enjoy the commercials.

I'm of the belief that most of our modern art can be found in advertising. How do we attempt to persuade one another? What tactics do the advertisers use to appeal to our humanity?

What commercials were your favorite this year? Which ones disappointed? Why do I always spell disappointed with two s's and two p's?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I'm not going to be dissing the appointed aspects of your comment.

I heard that this year NBC had a difficult time selling the ad time for the game. Many firms that normally pony up big time $$$ are staying away this year.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Don't dis my appointment! HHAHAH! Larbear.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok...in the last couple of minutes they had a woman lose her clothes when a guy bit into a dorito and Danica Patrick about to take a shower with another woman for Godaddy.com. Uh...ad people...I'm watching with kids here...

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, I forgot to mention, the Star Trek trailer was great...

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

It WAS! And the Jack Black movie looks good.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

The Cars.com commercial started well, but ultimately was a letdown.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments There was a Star Trek trailer? Dang, I missed it!

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Pepsuber!

message 10: by Charly (new)

Charly Not up to usual standards, the clydesdales never disappoint though. I liked the fetch a limb one.

Can you imagine what pepsi paid those football players to ballet in the HD Sobe commercial.

message 11: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments The commercials sucked this year. Jesus---now I really believe we're in the second Great Depression. The third season of Mad Men can't come soon enough.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

I have a friend who is a (relatively newly hired) architect. He was recently given a pay cut because of the recession. No jobs. Nobody at the whole firm is getting jobs. Nothing being built.
That shook me up a tad.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree there weren't very many good commercials this year, but the Doritos crystal ball, and the Monster.com Moose head/behind one I thought were both pretty good.

The bright side Sally is that your friend is still employed, and make sure to check every zipper today.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Monster.com and godaddy.com both must have spent oodles of dough this year.

How about the one second Miller lite commercials?

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I missed the Miller Light ones. I'm going to look online.

Hey, apparently some Arizona viewers got something extra special with their Super Bowl viewing...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/02...

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I saw one last night that my sister said also aired during the superbowl -- it had Alec Baldwin shilling for Hulu, and it was hilarious.

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Oh, to be in Arizona that evening and get that "exta special" something during the SB...word is Comcast is giving their customers a $10 discount on their bill.

The Careerbuilder ad was the FUNNIEST ad I've seen in a long time. I've been going around saying "Hey, DUMMY!" to my co-workers all week.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

That is right, the Alec Baldwin one was money!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.