Addicted to YA discussion

Any Questions? > Book Swag?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 331 comments So I am working on the marketing of the launch of my newest novel, Walking in the Shadows, and I have been seeing a lot of things about book swag. I actually had to google this because I wasn't sure what it was (yeah, I know crazy, right?). So I am trying to see what is the most cost effective, and what readers are looking for and will actually use.
So readers, when you think book swag, what do you want (within reason)?
Bookmarks, t-shirts, pens, notebooks, tote bags? I'd really love to hear what you think and what you have to say.
What do you like to have on the book swag? Favorite quotes, pictures of what the characters might look like, the cover of the novel?
I appreciate all of your thoughts and comments, and as always thanks for your time!

message 2: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (MarisaSlusarcyk) So happy you asked this. I do a book review blog and I see on soooo many blogs the word SWAG and I for one, have no idea how to create it or if it should be provided by the author/publisher and two, if it is really necessary to a successful blog?

message 3: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Nacole (BrandyNacole) | 161 comments Never seen this topic until now! I'm an author and actually googled this exact topic today. I have a book coming out this month and trying to put together some swag for the release party but curious as to what readers really use. At this point I'm at gift bags, bookmarks, and a signed paperback. Curious to know what else readers would enjoy for swag myself.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (MandyE) I have actually received different items from authors. To my swag is bookmarks, key chains, tote bags. Book covers on them, a quote or a character are all wonderful to see on them.

message 5: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (MarisaSlusarcyk) I know some reviewers do a gift card for amazon or BN etc but I am not sure if that is supplied by the Author or the Blogger. Obviously this would be a rafflecopter type giveaway. I am really interested in this though.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (coulsonwherearemyavengers) | 909 comments well to me, iv never heard of book swag, but i get what it means - i think bookmarks and tote bags would be awesome, especially with either quotes or maybe the book cover :) although you can seem to find bookmarks pretty readily - so i think if theres was a good tote bag, then that wold be really worth it - hope it helps!

message 7: by Simmaron (new)

Simmaron (MyBookedLife) | 802 comments Personally I don't like book covers which have some model's pic to depict the way the character would look like. It kills my imagination, so i wouldnt suggest u photographs of characters depicting how they look. I like bookmarkers with some quotes from the book written on it. I don't know about pens but if the book cover is really cool then a poster of it might work. I have a poster of Passion by Lauren Kate. Hope it helps :)

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz (coulsonwherearemyavengers) | 909 comments Yes! i must agree with @Simmaron - and having a poster of a book would be great, considering you dont really get anything other than movie/tv posters

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I love tote bags, those Eco friendly ones I'm strangely obsessed with them, and with quotes would be awesome :) I love quotes too

message 10: by R.M.F (new)

R.M.F Brown You have to be careful that the stuff you're giving away isn't tacky.

Personally, As long as the book's good, I don't realy mind about mugs,key-rings and t-shirts.

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Tuck Austin (KristiTuckAustin) | 6 comments I've seen lots of book swag at bookstore events over the years: tote bags, story-related jewelry, custom-blended tea in individually packaged tea bags with the book's cover on the front, book plates, key chains, luggage tags, press-on tattoos, trading cards, bookmarks, handmade items by the author... The most important elements were their relevance to the book and the author's generosity.

I love when authors give away bookstore gift cards as the top prize at an event. Some giftcards can be printed with the cover of the book on one side. (If it's used for an ebook the author can then sign the giftcard instead of a print copy.) It warms my heart to see an author purchase a giftcard from the indie bookstore where the event takes place and then give it away to a reader during the event. This practice endears the author to the bookseller and the readers. I know this can get expensive, so I've only ever seen it done as a top prize at a special event.

Maggie Stiefvater goes above and beyond in the swag department. You should check out her blog. Aimee Agresti and Kristen-Paige Madonia had two of the most coordinated swag giveaways I've ever seen. They are both sweeties and might have time to give you a few pointers. Megan Shepherd had the tea I mentioned above as a giveaway for her debut novel. LynDee Walker had the coolest giftcards I've ever seen. They are all GoodReads authors so you can connect with them here. Just a thought. I hope that helps.

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Tuck Austin (KristiTuckAustin) | 6 comments Oh, Leona Wisoker, also a GoodReads author and marketing guru, goes above and beyond to include local artists in her book swag. She's also given away printed and bound sample chapters at cons (coordinated with her publisher, of course). :-)