Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy, #1) Fall of Giants discussion

The Century Trilogy

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Has anyone read any of the books in "The Century Trilogy" yet? I'm thinking of buying them, but would love to have some input from others if you have read them.

Bill Love the first book, have the second on order! It's release date is later this month.

Kirby wonderful book, can't wait for the next one!

Lara Absolutely LOVED the first and am waiting for the second in heightened anticipation. Very excited!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Thank you Bill, Kirby & Lara. I'm definitely going to get the first book!

message 6: by Melisa (last edited Nov 22, 2012 02:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melisa Hayward Fall of Giants is a great book. If you haven't read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" book yet, it is incredible. Follett is a brilliant writer and his character development is fantastic. If you like this book, you will also love Pillars!

Rachel Great book! I couldn't put it down. I've read it twice and both times it sucked me in and would not let me go until it was done.

Bill The next book is due out week after next! Winter of the World! Can 't wait!

Gail One of my favourites - this author is a master. I read Fall of Giants and the only bad thing about it was that I have had to wait so long for the next one. Have been wondering when it would come out, thank you for alerting us to the Winter of the World. Go ahead and buy all Follett's books.

message 10: by Aley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aley Martin Anytime anyone writes about the beginning of the 20th century I eat it up! That is also why I love Downton Abbey! I do wish the books were closer as I have forgotten everything I read in the first one, but I remember I loved it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I definetly recommend this series it has a way of grabbing you to the end. I have read both (second one I won free) and loved them

message 12: by Al (new) - rated it 4 stars

Al Wonderful book. And it did a very good job at building each character, which impressed me because of the size of the book and the amount of characters. I'm looking forward to the next.

message 13: by Fran (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fran Just got # 2 Winter..... Will start it ASAP. Loved the Fall of Giants so lets hope the magic continues.

message 14: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Ann wrote: "Has anyone read any of the books in "The Century Trilogy" yet? I'm thinking of buying them, but would love to have some input from others if you have read them."

I loved Fall of Giants!!!! Just started Book two.

message 15: by Aley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aley Martin I am about 60% done with Book 2. Just as good as book one, keeps me wanting to read more and more. No time to read it as much as I would like!

Debbie I have read both 1 and 2 and loved them. I can't wait for the 3rd one to come out. I recommend this series to every.

Ellen I have read both 1 and 2. They are well written and engaging. Educational as Follett strives to be historically correct. He delves into the experiences and characters of the regular folks. I think both books are helpful in understanding our past, and the horror of first half of the 20th century. I think they help us touch the lives of our parents and grandparents. They help to explain some of the behavior we experienced as young people.

Kirby I finished the second one yesterday. I really enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away like the first one did.

message 19: by Ani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ani I enjoyed The Fall of Giants a bit more than The Winter of The World, but a great read nevertheless.

Fahad awesome time had gone while reaeding both 1 and 2 sitting idle for the thgird one to come asap.

Rachel The second was good, but it feels like Follett is changing his writing style. In parts of the book it almst didn't feel like him.

Tulio  Albuquerque I read Fall of Giants but I was expecting more than I get.

Who have read Pillars of the Earth probably felt the same.

Laurel Loved the first book, waiting to get # 2 and can't wait for #3. He is a good weaver of tales and its solid.
Loved the Pillars of the Earth series also.

message 24: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kulikovskis loved the first one, reading the second one now

Heather I read the first book about a year and a half ago and found myself wanting to read it again before starting the second one. It was even better the second time around. Ken Follett's books are so complex and rich with historical details that I think you really get a lot more out of it the second time. After finishing Fall of Giants again I was excited to read Winter of the World which picks up pretty much where the first book left off. The second book was just as riviting and enjoyable as the first but I think the fact that he follows and interweaves the same families so much becomes a detriment in the second book (it's too implausible to have so many links in a world this big). Does anyone agree?

message 26: by Prblyreading (new) - added it

Prblyreading So the first book I thought was amazing, but I was sadly dissapointed with the second book. I thought it was so cliched. I won't spoil.

A Serious Lover I read both. They are quite a change from the Pillars of the Earth duo. Very into European history and politics. I enjoyed them and am anxiously awaiting the third.

message 28: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Has anyone heard when the third book will arrive?

Notty I absolutely love anything that Ken Follett writes! From his espionage stories to his huge series (Pillars, etc). I am half way through the 2nd book of the new trilogy, and am loving it. I must admit it's been awhile since I read the first book, so had to bookmark the list of characters, and had to refer to it at the beginning. Thank you Ken!

message 30: by Aley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aley Martin I cannot believe the third book is not out til 2014...argh...!

Notty Aley wrote: "I cannot believe the third book is not out til 2014...argh...!"

Oh no! That means I might have to try and remember all the names again

Lainie I loved the Fall of Giants. I have started the Winter of the World, but the younger generation of characters hasn't captured me like in the 1st book. I too became a fan of Follett after reading the Pillars of the Earth, one of the only books I have ever read more than once. Again, World Without End's characters didn't capture me in the same way as the 1st.

message 33: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Lyons At this point, I will buy, and read, any book that Ken writes .... kind of the same thing as Stephen King. You read them all.
Thanks!

Notty I absolutely loved, LOVED this book..........and anything else that he writes!

Sherry Dufour I just started book two and am loving it! 2014 until book #3, LOL,I don't know if I can wait that long. Love Ken Follett!

Judith Dimitrov Rachel wrote: "The second was good, but it feels like Follett is changing his writing style. In parts of the book it almst didn't feel like him."

I agree, I wondered if he had research assistants helping with the writing. Book two was a great letdown after the Fall of Giants. More like pulp fiction and certainly below the Ken Follett standard I have come to expect. Nevertheless there were sections that were beautifully written. Maybe it was bad editing.

Notty Wow, very surprised, since I was a little disappointed in the first book, absolutely loved Winter of the world.....go figure, we're all different!

message 38: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill I on the other hand loved them both! Can't wait for the next one.

Will also recommend the "Matthew Corbett" series by Robert McCammon! Starting with "Speaks the Nightbird",

Kathy Hale I loved this series. There is a waiting line at the library to get others in thes eries. Ken Follett has always been one of my favorites.

Notty Happy to inform you that the third book "Best Kept Secrets" is actually due out at the end of April, this year! Yipee!!!!!

Notty Hopefully Ken has already finished the 4th, and is working on the 5th

Notty Yup! 5 in all......makes me a happy camper!

Notty Crap.........you are right!!! DUH! Both two of my favourites....now want to hide my head in Shame

message 44: by Aley (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aley Martin Notty wrote: "Happy to inform you that the third book "Best Kept Secrets" is actually due out at the end of April, this year! Yipee!!!!!"

NOT! That is Ken Archers book, not Follets.

David Seller I couldn't recommend it enough! Classic Follett and both brilliant so far!

Cheri This book was one of the BEST! First time I have read Follet, and can't wait to dive into the second!

Rosalind Rendle Have read 1 and 2. Well researched and VERY enjoyable read. looking forward to no. 3. First one gave really good insight into causes of WW1 on top of what we all already know, especially role of GB and ruling classes. clever characters enabled world wide illustration of events.

Anita My fave of all time is the Pillars of the Earth book...and I read a LOT! Reread very few books, but have reread those several times and watched the miniseries w/ my son. Read the first book and loved it...have second on order, but may have to reread the first again just for kicks.

message 49: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred Michieka i read books 1 and 2 and they were awesome. cant wait for book 3 to come out

message 50: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Fischer Great books. Both of them. A brilliant story accurately and chronologically following both World Wars. A very believable mixing of historical persons with fiction characters. I look forward to the third book.

« previous 1