Goodreads Sci-Fi/Fantasy Authors discussion

Awards > Mom's Choice

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 71 comments Mod
It seems like I see everyone and their brother posting they have won a Mom's Choice - they must have just come out. First it seems like there are "way to many of these". Second the entry fee of $300 seems way to high. Is this just a way to "buy" yourself an award?

message 2: by Thora (new)

Thora | 1 comments Robin,
Actually, winning Mom's Choice is not easy. You have a group of judges who have a set of criteria that your book or product must have in order to be eligible. (For childen's that would be explicit sex, swearing, things that younger kids ought not to read). There are 3 judges who are editors,librarians,publishers and readers. Many are quite savy in the publishing business - most are small and independent publishers. If, you are lucky enough to win, they have a distribution channel to help promote your book. That is probably a portion of the $300 fee to enter. They promote your book for one year, and yes, you pay for a portion of it, but again their distribution list far exceeds what most authors are able to attain.
The post on their site: (My book is Chessie Bligh - winner 08 Gold Fantasy)
http://www.momschoiceawards.com/celeb...

They also helped me get into the libraries and other places small / independent publishers have trouble acquiring access.

They have a site on Amazon as well for their winners.

All this helps when you are a one girl band - author, marketing dept., website administrator, Sales.....you can only wear so many hats because there are only so many hours in a day.
Thora Gabriel