Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (general) > BriansGirl's progress

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Here goes! I'm going to take my weight and measurements at the beginning of the month (today) so I can tell if I've made any progress. Last time I tried to lose weight, I lost very little, only a couple pounds, but I lost several inches around my waist. I'm terrible at keeping a food diary and it doesn't work for me. I used to only eat when hungry instead of at a specific time (like noon) but I can't do that as much anymore as I'm diabetic. I'm going to start out with some fairly simple goals.

1) Work out twice a week for at least 20 mins.
2) Lose 4 pounds by the end of the month, which works out to one a week
3) Since I can't skip meals, I'm going to try to eat healthier.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Good start, BriansGirl. I know how hard it can be, but we can only keep going and do our best. Baby steps...is good.

message 3: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 02, 2009 08:57AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Yz.

OKay, I checked my hidden notebook. Between March and July of last year, I lost 3 inches to my waist, lost 1 inch on my upper thighs, lost 3 inches on my hips and lost 5 pounds. Since last July, (I took my measurements this morning), I've lost another 1/2 inch off my waist, lost another 3 inches off my hips, lost an inch off my chest, and lost 4 pounds. As you can see, I just can't seem to shake off the weight (it's very hard losing weight being diabetic) but at least I've made progress on my measurements. I'd love for the scale to move down, but I'll be happy if I can at least keep reducing measurements. There is more than one way to get smaller. lol

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

keep up the good work Brian'sGirl...

message 5: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 04, 2009 09:57PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Stephanie. I havn't managed to find time to work out yet this week though. Best time for me would be the four mornings a week my youngest is in preschool. However, most mornings this week I was treated to my fiance being online. He lives in England and we talk over msn/windows live messenger and with webcams. Saves on the phone bill! lol Since our time is limited based on his work schedule, I hate to tell him I'm off to the gym, even though I know he'd understand. By the time he left for work today, I had just under an hour before my 4 year old got outta preschool. So instead of going to the gym, I went to a local thrift shop and browsed their book section (50 cents each). [Found a Nora Roberts book I didn't have.:]

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

nice.. y not work out at home.. there are a lot of web sites that have ways to workout at home.. maybe try that.. for the books who could pass that up.. and its important to talk to ur man.. don't give that up hehe..

message 7: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 05, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Not about to give up time with my man. With him being in England (and I'm not! lol) I take what time I can.

I've tried working out at home but its hard to get motivated to do it. I've accumlated, all free, a manual treadmill (ie not motorized, it moves under your own power), a skiing machine (don't know what it's really called, but you stand up and move like you're skiing holding onto poles), and an exercise bike (although mine has handlebars that move which I don't like, but hey, it works and it was free). [So I can't read books while using my treadmill or exercise bike the way I could if I went to the gym. I do have a scholarship membership to the local YMCA but if I take the time to go that far, I always use the pool instead.:]

I've got quite a few workout videos. Some really old ones. lol I've got 2 or 3 VHS tapes for line dancing workouts. A Kathy Smith tape that I used to like. A Maria Conchita Alanso dancing workout tape. lol When the kids interrupt me alot (youngest is 4), I broke down and put Elmocize in. (You try keeping up with hopping and jumping toddlers for a half hour! lol). More recently I bought a pilates DVD for $5 last year, but the woman in that is rather skinny. Us more fluffy types, lol, don't bend that way. For christmas last year I asked for and got the Dancing with the Stars cardio DVD. Those aren't easy either, let me tell you! lol On a closeout book sale after the holidays at a local grocery store, 50% off the markdown price, I got the Dancing with the Stars workout book for just $2. Have to read it yet and see what they have for you to do in that one.

Generally when I work out at home it's when I'm mowing my lawn (no longer have a mower with a walking motor) and my neighbor's lawn. When it snows I get a workout clearing my driveway, an elderly neighbors and then one of my dad's neighbors (although I can borrow his snowblower for that one if its deep enough).

If I changed my goal to shorter 5 or 10 mins workouts, I'd be able to get more in. Unless I do an exercise tape, I can't get 20 mins in on the exercise equipment I have here at home as they wear me out after 5 mins. Since I can't hit the 20 min goal of working out, I've not done any at all.

message 8: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Feb 05, 2009 01:31PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Doing 4 5 minute "mini" workouts to build tolerance works for me. Then each week add a min or however you want. If your not breathless then the workout is just right. If you can hold normal conversation they say. 4 5 mini's = 20 mins. of burned cals. and seems a lot less daunting to someone, like me, who hadn't worked out in 2 to 2 and a half years.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Sounds good Kenjii. Even the warm-up section of a work out video, which lasts 15 mins can wear me out. Sometimes I never make it to the "aerobic" part. lol I think I'll switch and try small 5 min workouts and see how that goes.

message 10: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 06, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I don't know how it's possible since I havn't been starving myself and I havn't worked out this week, but I've lost 3 pounds since monday, down to 218 lbs. (Hate admitting how much I actually weight)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I don't think I was as hungry this week as usual. I managed to drop another pound when I weighted myself this morning. I don't know if they'll stay off however. But that means I'm down 4 pounds so far for the month.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments First 10-20 pounds is water weight. The actual weight loss is gradual. An average of 1-2 a month. But WTG! A start is something. And girl I am 336. I am 6'1'' and got a big belly so don't even think about being worried about being 218. 218 would be a blessing for me =D. In all my not working out I have not gained any weight, thank goodness, but I haven't lost any either. So I gotta kick up the aerobic for sure!

message 13: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 07, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Kenjii. I'm only 5'6". My trouble is being diabetic. If my blood sugars are in check which is good for the diabetes, then it's hard to lose weight. If my blood sugars are low or high, its bad for my diabetes but I can lose weight. If I can actually lose and keep off real weight, it helps my diabetes so I need less insulin. My doctor was impressed that I'd lost several pounds since my previous quarterly visit last month because most gain weight over the holidays. I'm getting there, however slowly.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

congrats on losing 4 pounds :) thats so great.. keep it up... :D

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Stephanie. Just hope it stays off.

message 16: by Kasia (new)

Kasia BriansGirl, nice you're loosing weight that's GREAT ;D.

Your weight will stay off, as long as you keep up the lifestyle changes that you've made. The key is not to go back to old habits. And if you slip, here and again... it's ok, as long as you go back on plan eventually.

message 17: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Feb 11, 2009 03:54AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments The englishman that says "I can make you thin" actually has something really real going. If you eat when you are hungry, don't have distractions (tv, reading, music etc which is hard for me to break), eat slowly (one bite fork down), and eat what you want. Don't deny that chocolate craving b/c you learn to eat in moderation. If you deny then when you DO eat chocolate you gorge on it. The exercise is small bites too. I have the hardest time with the exercise. Bur the eating has helped me lose 30-35 pounds since 2006. So if I can add 20-30 mins a day to that I'll lose my extra weight in about a year.

message 18: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 11, 2009 05:15AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I try to do that, eat only when I'm hungry, but being diabetic I'm suppose to eat regularly. Fasting can actually raise my blood sugars. That's one reason its so hard to lose weight while being diabetic. So I can't skip meals, even if I'm not hungry. I will eat lunch an hour later, that kinda thing, but I'm not suppose to skip meals entirely.

message 19: by Kasia (last edited Feb 11, 2009 07:23AM) (new)

Kasia BriansGirl wrote: "I try to do that, eat only when I'm hungry, but being diabetic I'm suppose to eat regularly. Fasting can actually raise my blood sugars. That's one reason its so hard to lose weight while being dia..."

hymmm... I'm not a diabetic, but I don't skip meals either. Skipping meals is, actually, counterproductive to weight loss, it slows down your metabolism. I've learned this the hard way :( So it's good thing that you're eating regularly.

Maybe try squeezing a few extra minutes of exercise here and there if you feel like you're going nowhere. But then, you said that you're loosing weight :) So hymmm... little patience? LOL

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments Yes one thing I forgot to add is if you eat and say 10 mins later your feeling hungry again. Eat again! There is really no rules to say breakfast @ 9 am lunch at noon. How do you eat most days? What are you meals like?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I ate today but not a whole lot. I spent half the day in bed. Most of the morning, half the afternoon and retiring early tonight. I've just felt tired, worn out, and at times, lightheaded and dizzy. Isn't effecting my stomach though as I was hungry at times, just didn't eat alot. Expecting up to 9 inches of snow tomorrow, which I have to clear.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

i hope u feel better.. in the end if u feel like sleeping its better to do that.. ur body just needs it..

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Stephanie wrote: "i hope u feel better.. in the end if u feel like sleeping its better to do that.. ur body just needs it..
"

I know. But I'm a single mother of 3 boys and I have to balance having to take care of them with taking care of me when I'm sick.

message 24: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 02:23PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I definetly got my exercise today. We got 6-7 inches of snow. I shoveled our driveway twice although at least one of my son's actually did something to help. I shoveled the neighbor's driveway and porch. And I got paid to do a doublewide driveway (for that I could at least borrow my Dad's snowblower but it's still a workout pushing it). Not looking forward to the snowplow going by because then I have to clear the end of three driveways.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I remembered to weight myself this morning. Down to 216. I scrolled up and it seems that means I lost another 2 pounds since I last weighted myself.

message 26: by Kasia (new)

Kasia LOL, shoveling is a darn good workout. How are your arms doing now? Feeling a little sore?

And 2 lbs! 2 pounds is great. That's really healthy weight loss.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Kasia. Just hoping it all stays off. The shoveling is a heck of a workout but it was 51ºF yesterday so all our snow is melting. Need it to snow again!!

message 28: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Oh, we just got fresh batch of snow over here. You're welcome to shovel my driveway if you must.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kasia wrote: "Oh, we just got fresh batch of snow over here. You're welcome to shovel my driveway if you must."

Poland's a bit of stretch for me to get to. lol

message 30: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Well, I tried. Have to do all the chores by myself now. Bummer.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kasia wrote: "Well, I tried. Have to do all the chores by myself now. Bummer. "

lol, sorry.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 1986 comments 2 lbs! Woohoo! WTG! Keep it up.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Kenjii. Just hoping it stays off.

message 34: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Feb 19, 2009 01:26PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 407 comments Nice!! Such good news to hear :)

I need to buy a scale myself (they have been banned from the house until recently ROFL) so I can start keeping track of what I lose. (and not lose so I can adjust!)

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tricia
I did not weigh myself for the whole month of January, for me it has always been about some number, and not about the permanent changes that I need to make. I was surprised that I only lost 10 lbs, b/c my clothes are fitting better. So ban the scale for a while. Now once I get to were I feel comfortable, I will probably weigh more often to keep things under control.

message 36: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 19, 2009 02:10PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I think it's good not to check your weight too often. (I only tend to do it when I'm concious of it like the weight loss thing.) However, every so often, even once or twice a year, it's not a bad idea to weight yourself (even if it's at gym or doctor's office) and take your measurements. Then you have some idea when you compare back where you are. I tend to gain and lose the same 5 pounds over and over again so I won't feel better about the weight loss til I can get to the point it stays off (like maybe having lost 10 lbs).

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I did Weight Watchers two years ago and lost 30 lbs, of course once I got to the goal, I quit going and guess what? The 30 came back and invited another 10 with them. So this go around I am going to try something a little different. This may not work and may not work for others but I have to try something.

message 38: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Stephanie wrote: "...This may not work and may not work for others but I have to try something."

One way to find out, keep on posting

message 39: by Kasia (last edited Feb 21, 2009 09:28AM) (new)

Kasia Briansgirl wrote: "I think it's good not to check your weight too often..."

Yeah, it can feel like whale watching. I retain water when I'm on my period - that affects the scale. After I get back from sauna, I magically get 3lbs lighter (water loss that has to be replenished stat). And when I'm exercising my clothes fit better, but the scale won't budge. Frustrating. Still, I weight myself at least once a month.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Kasia wrote: "Briansgirl wrote: "I think it's good not to check your weight too often..."

Yeah, it can feel like whale watching. I retain water when I'm on my period - that affects the scale. After I get back ..."

This is why I started taking my measurements too. About once every 6 months I'd redo my meausurements and weight (sometimes only once a year) and compare with my last results to see what difference there is. I step on the scale now and then but it usually isn't too encouraging and I can loose inches without losing weight.

message 41: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 26, 2009 09:32AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Gained a pound back (up to 217) but I did spend an hour this morning racking leaves.

message 42: by Kasia (new)

Kasia eee... don't stress about 1 lbs, as long as you're keeping up with food & exercise, weight will go down eventually. Small fluctuations are not worth stressing over.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I was just trying to weight myself once a week for this so I could see how I was doing. I usually gain and lose the same couple pounds a few times. :0(

message 44: by Kasia (new)

Kasia weekly weight-in is an awesome idea... I should be doing that (now I just weight myself when the mood strikes)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) this is making me more accountable lol

message 46: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Mar 03, 2009 01:22PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Okay, I should work out but I generally don't. At least, they're usually reserved for things like manually shoveling snow, raking leaves and mowing the lawn.

Today I ran across the program "Shimmy" on Fit TV which is a belly dancing fitness show. I did it for probably 10 mins or a bit more. By that time my heart was going pretty good since I'm not used to it but it's a start. I'll have to look for when it's on so I can catch it again. (Will check tomorrow same time)

message 47: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Belly dancing? That sounds like plenty of fun....

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Should tone the stomach I'd think. Could definetly use that! lol

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'm getting another unconvential workout today. My son is grounded and all his toys are being removed from his room. So I'm having to haul all his toy boxes not just out of his room but round the corner, down the stairs, and round the corner again. I'm out of breath after the first large toy box. I think he has too many toys. lol

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Back up to 220 lbs. That's only 1 pound less than where I started at the beginning of Feb. I told ya I gain and lose the same 5 lbs over and over again. :0(

« previous 1 3