Banned Books discussion

The Witches
This topic is about The Witches
BANNED BOOKS GROUP READS > The Witches General Discussion

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (last edited Nov 19, 2012 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (Maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
This topic is for the discussion of the book The Witches by Roald Dahl. Please note in your comment if it contains spoilers.

Anybody want to lead the discussion?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

??

message 3: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (Maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
It appears no one wanted to discuss the book. Odd since it got 197 votes. Maybe my incongruous first message confused people. I've changed it to be correct. Thanks!

Warmdarksky | 1 comments :c I can't say I have much to say about The Witches, except that I read it when I was it's intended audience age- repeatedly, under the covers, with a flashlight. The reasons given for it being challenged are goofy. ((One of Quentin blake's illustrations, however, of the high witch definitely scared the crap out of me. I remember speed-reading the adjacent page so I could turn it as soon as possible.)) It'd be nice to see someone adapt this book into a film a la Matilda.

MatheoJasmin | 1 comments I'm pretty sure an adaptation has been made with Anjelica Huston. A

Biblio Curious (BiblioCurious) Yes, I saw the film as a kid looong before I knew it was a book. I read the book just recently because I liked the film so much. I think the film follows the book pretty closely. The book is better though :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The book offends feminist sensibilities because all the witches are women and because some of the language used is said to be old-fashioned, politically incorrect.

SheriC (PM) (SheriCPM) Gregory wrote: "The book offends feminist sensibilities because all the witches are women and because some of the language used is said to be old-fashioned, politically incorrect."

It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall being a little puzzled by the antifeminist argument. At least, it didn't offend MY feminist sensibilities. I just was unimpressed by it, in general.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Witches (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Roald Dahl (other topics)