Indonesians Who Love English Books discussion

Gone Girl
This topic is about Gone Girl
Specific Book / Author / Genre > Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (Free For All September!)

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rachel (rachelhadeli) | 698 comments Mod
Start the discussion below! And remember, there may be spoilers!

message 2: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
2 POVs, huh?

message 3: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, it seems so. I'm enjoying it so far. You? I was fooled by the diary entries. smh.

Sarah (sarsky) hey! i just start reading the book. how far along are you?

message 5: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think I'm just past halfway! How are you liking it so far?

Sarah (sarsky) Too early to tell, just starting couple of pages

message 7: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Sep 06, 2012 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I'm just shy of halfway.

edit: adding spoiler tag
(view spoiler)

Reading it feels like going thru a relationship counseling or couples therapy. Make you think about your own, eh?

message 8: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

You'll know what I mean soon enough, Reza! I finished it last night, and I enjoyed it very much. More than I thought I would. And I agree, it kinda makes you think about your own relationship. More on that later ... after you guys finish reading it :D

message 9: by Alefiya (new)

Alefiya (ale31187) | 12 comments At first i thought i will not like it but right now i can't take my eyes off the book :D

message 10: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha, good for you! When you're done, come here and discuss it with us! :)

message 11: by Alefiya (new)

Alefiya (ale31187) | 12 comments ya sure :)

message 12: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Had a busy weekend, so I just managed to finish it.

message 13: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
So, whose side were you on? Who did you root for?

message 14: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

Isn't it obvious? Initially, I was on Amy's! In the end, I was on nobody's side. I wanted to end the way it did, though. Something along the lines of anyway. What about you?

AND, did you like it?

message 15: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Sep 13, 2012 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
So-so. I liked it up until the halfway mark. Then all tricks and secrets were revealed, I slightly lost interest. And the ending? She's setting up for a sequel isn't she? Cos that would explain the baffling ending, though not really justify having such ending.

message 16: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Also, I noticed several plot holes. Pardon the inner-detective in me.

message 17: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't think she's setting up for a sequel; not that I know of anyway. I thought it was pretty wrapped up? It was one of those endings that gives the reader the choice to interpret it however they want. Will they do this later? Will they do that? And so forth.

Woo, plot holes! List them here!

message 18: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Fair enough. Still, I'm talking about consequences. TBH, I was rooting for Nick's camp: Go, Boney, and maybe Tanner (not necessarily Nick himself) to be able to bring Amy to justice. I mean she murdered someone. I admit Desi was a lot of things, but what had he done to justify being killed cold-bloodedly?

Even if it was a perfect crime(s), meaning there weren't probably any legal consequence, then what about moral consequences, social, anything? I think that's why I'm not satisfied with the ending.

I'll go over the plot holes later. Can't access my mental note at work. Whoops.

message 19: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

You were rooting for Nick, even at the beginning?! Man, did you not read the diary?!! Yeah, yeah, I fell for it. I totally fell for it. Can't say I'm proud.

Of course Desi didn't deserve to be murdered, but that's Amy; she's bat shit insane! So you're saying you wish Flynn had included some kind of consequence for Amy, right? Well one consequence I can think of at the top of my head is the knowledge that your husband - if given a chance, or if he sees an opportunity - is willing to take you down. I know Amy is super intelligent, but she has to sort of live in this 'fear.' No, not fear exactly, but she always have to watch her back, do you know what I mean? That's what I see happening to the couple down the line anyway. No happiness, NEVER happiness.

message 20: by Reza, The Curator (last edited Sep 14, 2012 12:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
No no, I too fell for it. I believed Diary Amy. And all the rooting come after we know what had happened. Before Diary Amy came clean, I guess I was on nobody's side. Always the observer, trying to solve the crime myself. But I believed Nick's innocence even then. I know Flynn tried to implicate Nick as the bad guy by not confirming his innocence and made him act inappropriately, but hey absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. My gut feeling told me that there were other explanation.

Hm. No happiness. Okay, I can live with that.

Sarah (sarsky) This book is insane! I didn't do much work today because I was so caught up with all the surprises. The diary thing is brilliant!!!

Sarah (sarsky) What do you think about what Amy said in the last 2 paragraphs?

message 23: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
I look at it as a little "Dun Dun DUUN!" effect, that the whole thing is far from over. But then again, who knows what would happen after a tiny human added to the equation.

message 24: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

I totally agree with the Dun Dun DUUN, but I actually think it's more of an ... open-ending sort of thing? Where the reader can decide for themselves how Amy and Nick's story will progress.

It leaves me with a feeling of gloom, to be honest.

Liwin Tjoa (liwintjoa) | 47 comments Arghhh I feel so wrong for not reading this book. I nominated and voted for it, but didn't read it myself. How was the book guys?

message 26: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

How come you didn't read it? I thought it was pretty good actually. I don't normally read crime/mystery novels (apart from the The Girl with the books), and I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was.

message 27: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Unacceptable, Liwin! just kidding hehe
Well, it wasn't my usual CMTs (that's crime/mystery/thriller), but it's kinda okay, enjoyable in places.

@Rachel: lol here I thought you meant there's a book titled "The Girl with the Books".

message 28: by Rachel, First Lady (new) - rated it 4 stars

LOL. I'm not sure what the trilogy is called, that's why I dubbed it such. What is it anyway? Eh, it just came back to be, it's The Millennium Trilogy, right riightt?

message 29: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
right.

message 30: by Lynossa, Resident Connoisseur (last edited Oct 04, 2012 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynossa | 485 comments Mod
Still okay to post my thought?
I had my suspicion on Amy since the beginning. But not because the way she's told in the story but because the author seemed wanting to make the reader sympathize on Amy. Based on my experience on reading CMT, the nicest and the seemingly most innocent character usually is the bad guy.

But put that aside, this is an interesting book, the pace a bit slow in the beginning as the author tries to build the ambiance, but it finally picks up the pace toward the end.

message 31: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
So was the revelation of "diary Amy" an i-knew-it! moment or were u still surprised?

message 32: by Dini (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dini | 102 comments I just finished the book and it was fantastic. 5 stars for me. The author took the story and characters to places I didn't imagine.

Lynossa wrote: "I had my suspicion on Amy since the beginning. But not because the way she's told in the story but because the author seemed wanting to make the reader sympathize on Amy. Based on my experience on reading CMT, the nicest and the seemingly most innocent character usually is the bad guy."

I was quite neutral in the beginning, but I agree with Lynossa that the way Diary Amy was portrayed as a victim seemed a little off. I felt that at the beginning of the diary she was her true, obnoxious, spoiled self, but she slowly began to change into this meek girl who loves and takes care of her husband and everybody. Maybe that's was the author was planning? That we'd read the diary and think, hmmmm, something's not quite right here?

Amy is totally crazy. She did all sorts of crazy things, even hurt herself, to achieve her goals. I was kind of admiring her determination in a creeped out sort of way, LOL.

I thought the ending was open and a bit vague but appropriate. We know there won't be happiness between the two of them, but they each can't live without the other. Gosh, what would that kid of theirs grow into, I wonder.

message 33: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
Boy we must have another crime/mystery/thriller group read again next year!

message 34: by Reza, The Curator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Reza | 467 comments Mod
TheDavid Fincher may direct its film adaptation.