Harry Potter Series Box Set (Harry Potter, #1-7) Harry Potter Series Box Set discussion

to fanfic, or not to fanfic.

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan. I love all 7 of the books and have read and re-read my way through multiple copies of them. They fall apart from overuse- I buy new ones. But I simply cannot get in to the fanfic thing. I hear people all the time discussing what happened after Hogwarts, and who ended up with who, and what they ended up doing in their lives. Am I the only one who doesn't care? If it isn't in the actual books, actually written by Rowling herself, then I don't want to know about it. Am I alone here?

Cookie I re-read the books so much too! J.K. Rowling leaves a lot to be curious about. Like, what happened in the missing nineteen years? It's probably not exciting enough for a part in the book, but it leaves a lot to our imaginations. Same with Rose and Albus's years at Hogwarts, and James's first year... J.K.Rowling 's left it to our imaginations. And that is why people write fanfics, to express their own imagination on what really happened, that was left out.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't stand fanfiction. :P

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a Potterhead, I admit it. Every day, I always select out one Harry Potter book and read it, and I discover that each time I finish the series, I learn something new. J.K.Rowling has that mysterious power to add a little something to each book each time I read. It's quite mystical and scary at the same time. To answer your question, I often write my own interpretations of what might have happened in the "Nineteen Year" gap. Even though I can relate and create my own, I know that it is J.K.Rowling who can only tell us with her intricately woven words what happened.

message 5: by Gabby (new)

Gabby I like fanfiction; although i don't read it. It's just people experiencing how awesome Jk Rowling's world is in their writing.

Elodie Vidal There's nothing wrong with not liking fanfic. It's just one of many ways to make the Harry Potter experience last longer. If you prefer to stick to the books themselves, then it's your choice.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Day It depends on the fanfic. I love Harry Potter probably as much as you do; we sound quite a bit alike :) If it's one of those Dramione fanfics, where they kind of rewrite the story, I mean, that's okay if they want to do it, but that's not my type of fanfic. But I do like some fanfics, like if they want to fantisize about the lives of the charecters' children that's cool, I guess. I actually started writing an additional chapter to Deathly Hallows, and I'm writing a Sorcerer's Stone fanfic. But it's totally okay if fanfics aren't your thing. I kind of like them myself, but don't worry if fanfics aren't your thing.