Spring 09 LLED, Altoona discussion

Darlene > The Hear My Cry award

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (last edited Feb 01, 2009 12:16PM) (new)

Darlene | 14 comments The Hear My Cry award is named for all ethnically and racially diverse authors. We need to bring more diverse authors into our classrooms and that is the basis of this award. This children’s literature award goes to a book that lets us see into the culture of another race or ethnicity.

This award is about the invisible social issues of not having diversity of literacy in the classroom. Throughout the article “Reading the World of School Literacy”, Willis addresses the issue of how teachers feel they have great literacy programs that they are using in their classroom, but most do not have any diversity to ethnicity or race even when those races are present in the classroom. Theoretically, each literacy program purports to be culturally neutral and not mediated by any dominant view of language, when, in fact, a Eurocentric, mainstream cultural view dominates.

The book that wins this award will show us about the culture of those that are ethnically and racially diverse and the author must be ethnically or racially diverse. For this award we are looking at all genres and all grade levels. Nominations are due on March 5, 2009.

Work Cited
Willis, Arlette. Reading the World of School Literacy: Contextualizing the Experience of a Young African American Male. Harvard Educational Review, Vol. 65 No. 1, 1995.

message 2: by Corby (last edited Feb 15, 2009 12:46PM) (new)

Corby Lancaster | 14 comments I nominate "Chicken Sunday" by Patricia Polacco. Patricia's maternal grandparents are from Russia and her paternal grandparents are from Ireland. That is some background of the author. The story of "Chicken Sunday" is about a group of friends (that are racially diverse) who are wrongfully accused of doing something that they did not do. They work together to prove their innocence. The story includes a combination of Russian, African American and Eurocentric characters. "Chicken Sunday" is a heartwarming story of friendship. This would make an excellent read aloud book. Appropriate for ages K-5. Willis states that there is more need for diverse literature in the classroom (Willis, 1995).

message 3: by Linzi (new)

Linzi Wilkinson | 14 comments I nominate" Julia Alvarez: One Author, Two Cultures" written by Jiang Quingling and illustrated by Michael Hobbs. This book was published by Houghton Mifflin Company in 2004. I would use this book in guided reading. I think it is appropriate for children in 4-6 grade. This book is about Julia Alvarez who moves to New York from the Dominican Republic and she explains the adjustments that she must make and the difficulties she experiences.

message 4: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Cunningham | 15 comments I nominate FLIGHT: The Story of Virgil Richardson. A Tuskegee Airman In Mexico. By Ben Vinson III.

This book tells of Virgil, and how he struggled to be a pilot during a time that the armed forces were segregated. It tells of what he went through and how he trained to be a pilot in one of the most decorated fighter groups in WWII.

The book genre is for a fluent reader who enjoys reading biographical information about an interesting person and learning important facts at the same time.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "So Much" by Trish Cooke. It is a story about an African American family, told through the eyes of the baby of the family. This book satisfies the requirements of this award because it enlightens other cultures about African American families.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sed5071) | 14 comments I Love My Hair! by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley

I nominate this book by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley because it shows the diverse culture of an African American girl and her hair. Her mother combs her hair everyday to get the tangles out but no matter how gently she does it, it still hurts. Throughout the story the young girl learns to love her hair because she can wear it any way she would like. "I Love My Hair!" teaches children, especially girls, to love themselves how they were born. Perfect for children ages 4-8. Can be used as a read aloud or even an independent read. Natasha Anastasia Tarpley is an African American herself.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori | 19 comments The Sweet and Sour Animal Book (The Iona and Peter Opie Library of Children's Literature) by Langston Hughes One of the finest and most prolific authors of our time, Langston Hughes' forgotten manuscript of alphabet and poetry was transformed by the incredibly talented students at Harlem School of the Arts. I nominated this book, not only because it is a family favorite, but because it was by an African-American author and illustrated by the predominantly African-American students at the Harlem School of the Arts. There is also a foreward by African-American actor Ben Vereen, who was a personal friend of Hughes.

message 8: by Shannon (last edited Mar 01, 2009 01:29PM) (new)

Shannon Amici | 16 comments I Love Saturdays y Domingos (Americas Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature. Commended (Awards)) by Alma Flor Ada

I nominate "I Love Saturdays y Domingos" by Alma Flor Ada. This book is about a bilingual girl's weekend visits to her two sets of grandparents. It sends the message that flopping between two worlds can be a blessing rather than a hardship. The left of each spread shows the main character spending Saturdays with her paternal grandparents, with whom she speaks English; on the right, she spends los domingos (Sundays) with her Mexican American Abuelito and Abuelita and converses in Spanish. The situations in the two households share similarities which make it easy for readers to understand many of the words in spanish. This book deserves to win the Hear My Cry Award because the author, Alma Flor Ada uses both english and spanish to show kids the beauty of having different cultures in their family.

message 9: by Ericajean (last edited Mar 05, 2009 12:51AM) (new)

Ericajean | 13 comments Moses When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom (Caldecott Honor Book) by Carole Boston Weatherford
I nominate Moses: When Harriet Tubman Led Her People to Freedom by Carole Boston Weatherford. All I have to say is, WOW! This story is amazing. Winner of the Corretta Scott King Award and Caldecott Honor, this book follows Harriet on her path to freedom. Although God is a major source in the book, it shows her faith and plays a very important role in the story. She uses God as her guide and after she finds her own freedom, she risks her life to save others. This is very important in the African American culture. Pictures and text; Outstanding.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate "The Talking Eggs" by Robert D. San Souci. This book is about a black family living in poverty that dreams of becoming rich city folks. The mother and eldest daughter have wicked hearts, while the younger daughter is kind-spirited. After meeting with an old woman who possesses some interestingly charmed traits, the young sister is blessed with lavish gifts. The mother and elder daughter become jealous and try to steal from the old woman, and their efforts fail miserably. I feel that this book deserves to win The Hear My Cry Award because it is a book written for 1st-6th graders that depicts an African American family living in a rural area in the depths of poverty. The youngest daughter gets to enjoy life as a rich city girl because of the kindness of her heart while her mother and sister continue to struggle. Though the author himself is not of a racially diverse background, the illustrator is a successful African-American. Jerry Pinkney's pictures add great depth to San Souci's book and characters. The Talking Eggs by Robert D. San Souci

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy | 16 comments I nominate "Mirandy and Brother Wind" by Patricia McKissak. Mirandy is a young African American girl in the early 20th century who desperately wants to win the cakewalk (a dance tradition of African American culture). She chases after Brother Wind, who is beautifully personified through the text and illustrations, to make him her dance partner. She ends up with an unexpected partner and they "blow away" the competition. Patricia McKissak has written several books which celebrate African American culture, including "Flossie and the Fox". I feel that she and her efforts are deserving of this award.

message 12: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Stoner | 10 comments I nominate "Tar Beach" by Faith Ringgold. This is the touchy story of a girl who sits on a roof in Harlem and imagines flying and fixing everything thats wrong in the city. It expresses hard times that children in Harlem may encounter. It is meant for K-2 readers.

message 13: by Amber (last edited Mar 03, 2009 06:31PM) (new)

Amber | 14 comments God Bless the Child (Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor Books) by Billie Holiday I nominate the book, "God Bless the Child" written by Billie Holiday and Arthur Herzog Jr. This book is written from a song and even has a CD to go with it. It just tells a short story about the lives of African Americans right after slavery. The illustrations are great and help give the reader an image of what the author is trying to get across. Billie Holiday composed the song, "God Bless the Child" in 1941. This book would be good for grades 3-5. I nominated this book because of the great illustrations and the positive vibe the book gives. After all the hard times African Americans had gone through, they are able to keep up their lively spirit, work hard and stay close as a family.